Author Topic: What's for breakfast?  (Read 26558 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
What's for breakfast?
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »
I love to lurk in the dinner thread, so I couldn't resist opening a breakfast thread.

My breakfast will be overnight crockpot groats (4 c water, 1 cup whole grain oats aka groats, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp homemade vanilla extract), topped with a ridiculously good pineapple quince jam my mother made from quinces she gleaned while on a recent vacation up north. Coffee is Sprouts Organic Blend purchased in bulk on sale, rough ground for use in a French press.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's for breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:34:56 PM »
-Obtain an egg and an English muffin.
-Open the egg, beat, add salt and pepper.
-Put the egg in the microwave on high for 88 seconds. While this is happening toast the English muffin.
-Take out of microwave, place on English muffin.

And there you have it, an egg McMuffin for a fraction of the price.

Tips:
-Find microwave safe bowl or cup roughly the size of the English muffin for optimal fit.
-Stop the microwave after 73 seconds. Place a piece of cheese or meat, and then microwave again for the remaining 15 seconds.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 11:14:25 PM »
-Put the egg in the microwave on high for 88 seconds. While this is happening toast the English muffin.

Tips:
-Find microwave safe bowl or cup roughly the size of the English muffin for optimal fit.
-Stop the microwave after 73 seconds. Place a piece of cheese or meat, and then microwave again for the remaining 15 seconds.

Fully cooked?

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:54:32 PM »
Greens and mushrooms sautéed in oil and garlic with a fried egg on top. Add hot sauce of your choice.

We also make egg burritos regularly. Scrambled eggs and veggies dressed in homemade salsa and wrapped in a tortilla or ladled onto corn tortillas.

I also love huevos rancheros -take black beans and mix 50-50 with fresh salsa. Bring to a simmer in a small frying pan. Make a well in the middle and crack an egg into it. Salt and pepper the egg and cover the pan until the egg is cooked to your liking. Serve over warm corn tortillas with cilantro and onion. Soooooo good, and you can make it ahead and then reheat portions in the microwave.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 04:30:07 AM »
3 Weet-bix and milk. Every day, since I was about 3.

Breakfast of champions.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 04:43:48 AM »
Coffee. Can't eat in the morning.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 05:52:43 AM »
I have 75 grams of Kashi Go Lean mixed with free milk from the office fridge.

We also have a Flavia machine (similar to Keurig) with 20 different flavors of coffee/iced coffee, tea's, espresso, cappuccino etc.

I buy 1 box of Kashi per week, so I get 5 breakfasts for $2.   

Matt in Akron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »
One organic pop tart ($0.67) and a cup of coffee (free at work) while sitting in my cube.

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 07:46:39 AM »
3 scoops of Cafe Bustelo in my Mr. Coffee Espresso machine $0.35
2 Bananas, 2 Apples and 1 Orange $1

Lunch will be Salad,Soup and a piece of cornbread from the cafe here at work for $4

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
Put rounded 1/2 cup oats in a bowl, w/ 1 generous scoop of peanut butter and a smaller scoop of cranberry habenero jam.  Pour in hot water.  Top w/ blueberries or sliced banana.

If I'm feeling funky, I'll do oats, peanut butter, soy sauce, chili sauce, fried onions and sauteed banana.

On the weekend, I love fried egg sandwiches.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 08:12:55 AM »
I'm on board with the oats/peanut butter mixtures as well.  Take two heaping spoonfuls of peanut butter and a large handful of chocolate chips, dissolve in boiling water.  Add about a cup and a half of oats.  Stir thoroughly, then let it sit for about four minutes.  Reese's peanut butter oats FTW!  I usually eat this with a banana and yogurt before going for my long Saturday bike ride, but today I'm at home looking after my sick 2 year old . . . so figure I will need similar amounts of energy.  :P

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »
Overnight oats (1/2 c rolled oats, 1/2 c homemade almond milk, 2 tsp chia seeds) with homemade apple butter stirred in
2 cups of coffee

Just had a snack of homemade yogurt, but reading this thread has me hungry again!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
This morning:

Melt lard in pan.  Chop 1/2 large onion.  Add onion to pan.  Chop 5 mushrooms.  Add mushrooms to pan.  Stir.  Let the dogs out.  Add two giant handfuls of spinach.  Stir more.  Turn heat off.  Crack five eggs into middle of pan.  "Scramble" eggs and mix all together.  Turn heat back on medium.  Bring the dogs back in.  Dump on salt, pepper, paprika.  Mix again.  Serve.

Lady Fordragon

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »
This morning:  an apple and some mixed nuts

On the weekend:  scrambled eggs, bacon, and home fries

Overnight oats (1/2 c rolled oats, 1/2 c homemade almond milk, 2 tsp chia seeds) with homemade apple butter stirred in

I used to make a (work) week's worth of overnight oatmeal (oats, milk, greek yogurt, some sort of fruit, chia seeds, etc.) in mason jars so that DH and I could grab and go.  I should start doing this again.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
Breakfast burrito: one fake sausage cooked and split in half, scrambled egg, tomatoes from the garden, slices of avocado, and a warm flour tortilla.

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »
This thread is making me hungry😄 I had oatmeal mixed with brown sugar and pecans.  It was yummy. My two year old ate half my bowl.  Next time she is getting her own.

freezerburn

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 08:56:43 AM »
2 cups of coffee and overnight oats: 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tbsp unsweetened dried coconut, 2 tbsp maple syrup, handful of frozen cherries from the giant costco bag.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
On Sunday we hosted a brunch, so for 2 days in a row we had diabeetus for breakfast - pear crumble, brioches with dulche de leche, pudding.
Normally we eat bread with yogurt and jams (all homemade) in summer and oatmeal with nuts and fruits in winter, but I'm getting bored of both.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 08:59:20 AM »
Fiber 1 Bar - Lemon flavored and Green Tea..... promptly followed by trip to the bathroom.

:)  Gotta stay regular.

If I had time to make breakfast, that egg mcmuffin sounds great.  I wake up at 6:30AM, leave the door at 7AM. 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
I'm on board with the oats/peanut butter mixtures as well.  Take two heaping spoonfuls of peanut butter and a large handful of chocolate chips, dissolve in boiling water.  Add about a cup and a half of oats.  Stir thoroughly, then let it sit for about four minutes.  Reese's peanut butter oats FTW!  I usually eat this with a banana and yogurt before going for my long Saturday bike ride, but today I'm at home looking after my sick 2 year old . . . so figure I will need similar amounts of energy.  :P

Nice idea! Just noted on my cooking board :-)

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I keep it simple. 2 eggs with some cheese, plus a couple of apple slices (or banana, or whatever fruit we have on hand).

dalegendman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
Oatmeal with almonds, banana, a spoonful of sugar, and a cup of coffee. Breakfast of champions.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »
Avocado on homemade wholemeal toast. With a little salt and pepper.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
Nonworkdays in winter: steel cut or old fashioned oats, with cranberries if I have them in the freezer.

Workdays: a quart of coffee from my french press with a giant scoop of protein powder, drink a bit at home, shove the rest in my bike bag to finish at work. Much love and respect to my daughter, who sent me off to the bus station once after visiting her with a mason jar of coffee. The vibe of it just makes me happy in a way a thermos never can.

sfsellin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 08:38:08 PM »
Avocado on homemade wholemeal toast. With a little salt and pepper.

Heck yeah. That's my breakfast too. I picked up an obsession with avocado while living in Byron Bay, Australia.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »
What, no mention of Spam?

Teacherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »
Often lately it has been a homemade chewy granola bar and coffee from our standard drip coffee maker.

Other mornings it is a banana and coffee.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »
Often lately it has been a homemade chewy granola bar

Do you have a recipe for those?

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 05:05:35 AM »
I like a bowl of cheerios drizzled with honey and sprinkled with 2T. of chopped nuts.  The honey keeps the nuts from just going to the bottom of the bowl.  Quick, easy, and more filling than just a bowl of cereal.  I use whole milk as well for additional fat to keep me full longer.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 06:49:35 AM »
I dont eat breakfast

FREE!!!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Two hard boiled eggs from refrigerator.  I cook a dozen at a time and keep them ready for breakfast and easy snacks.  And coffee.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »

Tips:

Fully cooked?

Yes, after 88 seconds it'll be fully cooked.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 05:45:09 PM »
I dont eat breakfast

FREE!!!

Ha! Just came to post this.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 05:58:48 PM »
Usually just oatmeal, but these are my favorite - Fresh cranberries are in season, and they're half-price after Canadian Thanksgiving!

http://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/52635/low-fat-blueberry-bran-muffins/

It's good as written, but here's my tips:
- Don't mind the "low fat" in the title, I don't usually bake low-fat but these just happen to be. They still stay moist for several days.
- Use half the sugar if you make it with blueberries, close to the full amount if you use cranberries. I also use extra cranberries.
- If you like, other spices can be added (cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest)
- Any mashed fruit (bananas, pumpkin, etc.) can be used in place of the applesauce.
- If you double the recipe to yield 24, it bakes up nicely as 18 giant muffins. I'll take two regular-size or one giant muffin for breakfast.
- Greased/floured pans work well. They may stick a bit to the pan until cool, but when they're cool they'll pop right out.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »

Tips:

Cut a section out of a can of ____.
Put that section in a skillet.
Then crack the egg into the circle.

This is a next-level breakfast maneuver.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »

Tips:

Cut a section out of a can of ____.
Put that section in a skillet.
Then crack the egg into the circle.

This is a next-level breakfast maneuver.

Honestly I learned this egg cooking technique from my 88 year old neighbor. Haha

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
Leftover stew that I made a few days ago out of leftover roast pork, really cheap carrots and onions and a little kale that was bravely regrowing it's leaves after I harvested them the first time and cornmeal dumplings.  Finished it this morning!

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 01:47:04 PM »
cold oats, walnuts, an apple and organic milk = muesli :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »

Whole wheat toast with peanut butter. Every day for years now. Makes life so much easier.

Oh, and about a half a pot of coffee.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
Smoothie:  homemade yogurt, banana, canned pineapple, OJ, frozen zucchini. 

I eat smoothnies about 1/2 the time.  Most things stay the same except the frozen component.  It could be zucchini, cranberries, guavas, strawberries, cantaloupe, kale... 

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2015, 07:33:23 PM »
Banana-flavored protein powder, cocoa powder, and honey mixed in with two servings of steel cut oats and microwaved for 10 minutes in a comically enormous bowl. And a couple fried eggs with a cut up baby bella mushroom in my awesome cast iron skillet. Breakfast of champions.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2015, 07:40:32 PM »
Oats soaked overnight in homemade yogurt and topped with blueberries (bought frozen at costco).

Tasty, healthy, and less than .50$/breakfast.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
Coffee and a home made croissant

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
Banana-flavored protein powder, cocoa powder, and honey mixed in with two servings of steel cut oats and microwaved for 10 minutes in a comically enormous bowl. And a couple fried eggs with a cut up baby bella mushroom in my awesome cast iron skillet. Breakfast of champions.
Do you make the "instant" steel cut oats?  I could never find a bowl large enough that wouldn't boil over in the microwave.  So, I gave up and went back to regular steel cut oats.  I used to make them in the crockpot overnight, but now I just do them on the stove on the weekend, or in the evening.

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 05:03:45 PM »
3 Weet-bix and milk. Every day, since I was about 3.

Breakfast of champions.

Oh, I loved Weetabix when I was young! You brought back some good memories for me :)
Nowadays it's oatmeal with peanut butter, coconut oil, raisins (plus any other dried fruit we have), walnuts, and a little bit of agave or maple syrup...with a cup of tea! I love breakfast :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
Same thing every day. 2 eggs, scrambled, topped with Frank's hot sauce. And then 1-3 cups of local, fresh ground coffee with heavy organic cream.

GorgeousSteak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »
I mostly eat homemade granola, make a batch every week or two depending on how quickly our family goes through it.  The recipe I use is contains oats, pecans, peanut butter, maple syrup, sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, and coconut oil.  Not the cheapest possible thing, mostly due to the maple syrup and nuts, but for the taste, price, health combo, I think its tops for me.

Mr Money Mutton Chops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
I think I'll have to try some ideas from this thread. But I often don't eat breakfast, I find I'm not hungry when I wake up, and by the time I do eat it's usually lunchtime.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2015, 05:09:58 AM »
Coffee and avocado toast :)

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2015, 08:51:14 AM »
Usually cereal during weekdays. Now that it's getting cold, oatmeal is an option. Minute oats with water and brown sugar.
When I'm feeling fancy I buy English muffins and add a fried egg, ham or Canadian bacon, and cheese! Weekend breaksfasts includes, pancakes with shredded hash brown or cheese grits and eggs or sausage.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!