Author Topic: Weird Billing Question - Pay a defunct business?  (Read 1946 times)

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
Weird Billing Question - Pay a defunct business?
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:06:22 AM »
So I have a weird situation here. 

My wife had an outpatient surgical procedure performed a couple months ago, and when we got the bill, they had messed up some insurance stuff on it so my wife called, and they were going to update the bill.  We never got the updated bill, and when she tried to call back to follow up, she found that the business was dissolved and there was nowhere to pay the bill.  She had a followup as well between when she got the first bill, and when found out the clinic was no longer operating, and we still haven't gotten the bill for the second visit. 

Its a not insignificant amount of money that we owe-$1700, and it shows up on my Cigna account for the first appointment.  The second appointment still hasn't shown up as a claim.  The doctor is apparently operating at a different clinic in town, but it seems weird to send money to a totally separate clinic with no guarantee that it will resolve the claim.

Are we off the hook here? How do businesses usually resolve the last couple weeks of billing? 

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Re: Weird Billing Question - Pay a defunct business?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:12:16 AM »
Although I have no specific experience with this situation my first instinct is to call Cigna and ask them how they typically handle this situation. They may be able to open a case for you and get some resolution on the situation. I would also be tempted to call the clinic where the doctor is now practicing and see if the doctor or the staff at the new clinic can help you resolve this. I certainly wouldn't just send a payment to the new clinic without contacting them first.

I'm sure the money is owed somewhere and how delightful that they've created a little treasure hunt for you!

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »
Definitely don't send money to the new clinic. You don't owe them anything and you have no idea what legal connection that doctor has to that clinic anyway.  Wait and see if you get a new bill, and yeah, you're off the hook if that doesn't happen.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 11:35:00 AM »
Definitely don't send money to the new clinic. You don't owe them anything and you have no idea what legal connection that doctor has to that clinic anyway.  Wait and see if you get a new bill, and yeah, you're off the hook if that doesn't happen.

The question is...how long do we wait?  I'm all about saving $1700+ dollars, but if it turns out that I owe somebody something I don't want it to mess with my credit. 

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 11:38:17 AM »
You've done your due diligence, now it's time to wait. I'm willing to bet somebody will be trying to contact you in the near future to collect.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:48:08 PM »
In the past, I had a plumber do some work for me.  They didn't leave a bill before they left.  They never sent me a bill either. I probably called them a half dozen times or so. They couldn't confirm over the phone how much I owed, and they said they'd look into mailing me a bill. It never came.  After a couple months, I finally gave up.  If they send me a bill in the future, I'll gladly pay it... but I'm done trying to track them down to even find out how much they think I owe them.  It's been more than 4 years. I don't think a bill is coming ever.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 02:48:31 PM »

The question is...how long do we wait?  I'm all about saving $1700+ dollars, but if it turns out that I owe somebody something I don't want it to mess with my credit.

It shouldn't affect your credit.  Depending on how the business was unwound, someone will likely own that receivable at some point and it is their responsibility to make contact.  Thus, make sure you have the ability to pay, but there's nothing for you to do until contacted.