Author Topic: Weight Loss Challenge Help!  (Read 4502 times)

OracleOfAtown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Weight Loss Challenge Help!
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:37:53 PM »
I just joined a weight loss challenge and was wondering if anyone had any good tips on best way to shed weight quick.  Its 6 weeks long.  Im looking for food ideas and at home exercises that kick your butt.
Obviously looking for healthy foods that are affordable. Thanks everyone. 

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
Re: Weight Loss Challenge Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »
I would take the approach to implement changes you can keep up for life as opposed to 6 weeks. That's the real key to health.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 04:55:20 PM »
Easiest thing to do would be to chug as much liquid as possible before the initial weigh-in.  Then you can drop 4-5 pounds just by going back to normal.

Short term changes will bring short term results.

OracleOfAtown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  My reason for joining the challenge was to kickstart a change in lifestyle. I'm planning on using this challenge to cut some much needed pounds and then continue eating healthy and exercising consistently.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
Burn more calories than you take in, either through eating less or exercising more or both.

apennysaved

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »
This website has weight loss recipes.  I do not know about pricing per recipe.
http://www.hungry-girl.com/recipes

This website prices recipes, but it isn't necessarily geared toward healthy eating.
http://www.budgetbytes.com

For exercise, I would try running, stairs, swimming or bike riding for cardio. All free.

For strength training, some of the basics are push-ups, sit ups & lunges. These three things cover many of the muscle groups.  If you build muscle, you will burn more calories even resting.

Good luck!

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »
I can lose weight fastest on low carb diets, but I can't stay with them for very long because they are too restrictive.  But if you want a jump start, I would suggest trying  low carb.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »
Make a realistic kickoff goal, something in the 8-15 pound range maybe.

Write down everything that goes into your mouth. EVERYTHING. Also write down your daily activity.

As Michael Pollan would say, eat food. Mostly plants. Especially leaves. Don't skimp on protein, but fill your belly with colorful fruits and veggies (you know, whichever ones are on sale at your grocery store :-) ).

Good luck!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »
I can lose weight fastest on low carb diets, but I can't stay with them for very long because they are too restrictive.  But if you want a jump start, I would suggest trying  low carb.

Chancy way to go. I tried doing the South Beach induction and got quite ill.

frugal_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
Keys to weight loss:

1) Eat real food, cook for yourself. VEGETABLES are your friend and are delicious. Don't forget meat, but heavy on things that come from the ground.

2) Exercise every day really hard.  Like exercise as hard as you possibly can and increase effort from there for like an hour a day.  Think Insanity or similar type workouts.  You won't be able do much to start, but once you build strength and stamina and realize the level of couch potato you were previously at, you'll loath to ever let yourself go back.

3) Feel hungry all the time.  Not starving, but your default stomach feeling should be, "i can really eat something right now".  Don't eat until the next meal though.  This one is less important after you've reached a weight you like, but important if you're trying to change weights.

Disclaimer: Im an engineer not a doctor, but this method was good for about ~30 lbf in 3 months for me.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 08:15:37 PM »

Chancy way to go. I tried doing the South Beach induction and got quite ill.

I have done low carb a few times and never had any ill effects  Once I lost 35 pounds in about 4 months and kept it off until I had a herniated disc in my neck and gained the weight back while incapacitated. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!