Author Topic: Weekend Nature Vacation Suggestions  (Read 2202 times)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
Weekend Nature Vacation Suggestions
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:36:53 AM »
Hello MMM-ers. So DH and I need to use our AAdvantage points somewhat soon. I believe by April next year but we would like to use some if not most by the end of this year. Actually, while it's still hot all over the US I would like to go this month, esp since the point redemption is still reasonable (it surprised me, too). So where can we go for a weekend? I'm thinking something with nature and preferably no long drives (rental car).

We just want to enjoy the scenery and do as little planning and thinking as possible (though I will if I have to). I came across this link with suggestions.
http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/photos/15-us-cities-for-outdoor-enthusiasts/get-outside
Please feel free to chime in and point out which airport we need to fly into and which hotel you suggest as we usually spend most of our time not in the hotel. Lastly, please note if we can take a shuttle to the park, destination, etc. or if we must rent a car. Thank you in advance!

firewalker

• Bristles
Re: Weekend Nature Vacation Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 06:25:59 AM »
What airport will you use for departure?

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
What airport will you use for departure?

FLL

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »
I'm not clear what you mean by "no long drives (rental car)."  Do you mean you don't want to need to rent a car at all, or that you don't want to have to spend your time driving around in a rental car?

If the former, I had a lovely time in Salt Lake City some years back, including hiking up hills/mountains that were basically IN the city (I'm sure you'd need a taxi to get to them). 

If the latter, either Charlotte or Asheville NC would work (Charlotte a much bigger airport), both are within a 1-2 hour drive (Asheville's closer) to fabulous outdoors.  Asheville might even work for the former.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 07:47:35 AM »
IF you are able to fly into Canada, a unique experience is Winter Yurting: http://frosthaus.blogspot.ca/2014/03/yurting-in-algonquin-park-part-1-of-2.html. Right now $1 USD = $1.30 CAD (+/-) so exchange is in your favour. Yurt rental is around $100 CAD/Night, based on recent experience, groceries are similar in cost as in Virginia.

If flights are only in the US, then consider flying into BUF and adding Niagara Falls to the Itinerary, and extending the drive north by a couple hours.

For the record, dependable winter weather in Algonquin sets in after Christmas and lasts until late March. I've been caught camping in freezing rain over Christmas, and its not enjoyable.

While you would need a rental car between YTO and the park (about 3.5 hrs each way) and winter gear for playing outside, you can have a fantastic time playing in the snow with your only cost being food and the Yurt rental.

There is an outdoor skating rink, and a skating track at nearby arrowhead park. You can snowshoe, ski, hike, dogsled, stargaze, etc.

If this is interesting to you I'd be happy to lend a hand to make it happen.