Author Topic: Wedding gift- does this seem ok?  (Read 2658 times)

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Wedding gift- does this seem ok?
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
Brother in law is getting married near by. We see him maybe once or twice a year.  Just me and husband are attending.  I didn't go to the bridal shower but sent a $60 gift.   So my plan is  to give them a check for $150.   Is this an ok amount? I have no idea what is normal to give.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Wedding gift- does this seem ok?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
This is your husband's brother?  That seems reasonable to me.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
The amount seems fine to me--at least in my family it would be considered on the generous side of appropriate. I'm thinking that since this is fairly close family (albeit you don't see them often), you might want to also give a personalized gift--perhaps something you made, or some kind of family memento, like a framed copy of a picture of the old great-grandparents on the old home place...well, you know the kind of thing I'm getting at. Something with family meaning but that doesn't cost much.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 01:24:08 PM »
I think this is fine.  For most friends, we do about $100-$150.  Maybe for a really close friend I've done $200?  Also, we are going to my husband's co-workers wedding.  (Kinda, she's already married, this is a ceremony for show plus a celebration.)  She's not a friend of his, just an acquaintance.  We bought a $65 gift from their registry.  I think the general rule is don't go below $50, and depending on how close you are to the couple, go up from there.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
thats a lot i'm sending 75 to a friend.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
How much did they give you when you got married?

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
I try to at least cover my cost of attendance and a little bit more.  So, depending on location, $150 - $200 might be appropriate, especially since you also gave a shower gift.

Are the in-laws a 'keep score' family?  If so, you had better give at least what BIL gave you for your wedding.

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »
He was not an adult when we got married.  Not sure if the in-laws would ever find out what we gifted.  If it matters, when we got married they gave us $240.  I remember because it stood out to me as an odd amount. That was from grooms parents and brother. 

I was worried the amount was not enough, but considering the comments I think it's ok.  Thanks!