Author Topic: Website for shopping around for insurance  (Read 2129 times)

gluskap

• Stubble
    • Money Savvy Mommy
Website for shopping around for insurance
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:21:31 PM »
Hi guys,

So we're trying to reduce our insurance costs and hoping to combine our car and home insurance to save more.  Are there any websites that allow you to shop around for both at the same time?  Or in your experience, which companies are cheap?  Currently I am paying about $95/month for my car insurance with Farmers for a 2009 BMW 328i.  Not sure how much exactly my husband pays but it's around $100/month too for his Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.  We pay about $700/year for our home insurance.  We are also looking to buy life insurance as well.  Is it cheaper to combine that too or purchase separately?  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

agent13x

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Website for shopping around for insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:33:38 PM »
Find a local independent insurance agent. Basically they take down your info and then do all of the comparison shopping for you, and get back to you with the best policy/price combo for you.

Yes, they do take a little off the top, but the end result is a much better deal for you. Here's an article about it. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2013/03/19/insurance-an-easier-way-to-comparison-shop/

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
Agree with PP.  I recently switched, got online quotes from geico & progressive, and decided progressive was cheaper, and called a local agent.  He asked me if I was wanting progressive specifically, or if I'd rather he run some quotes with other companies as well.  I told him go ahead, and he found me an even cheaper policy with Met Life. 

Super.  Easy.  I told him what coverages I wanted, and he did all the work, saving me hundreds of dollars a year.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 01:04:01 PM »
Find a local independent insurance agent. Basically they take down your info and then do all of the comparison shopping for you, and get back to you with the best policy/price combo for you.

Yes, they do take a little off the top, but the end result is a much better deal for you. Here's an article about it. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2013/03/19/insurance-an-easier-way-to-comparison-shop/

This --  If you website shop you will be inundated for years with mailers, phone calls, emails etc.   A good "independent" muliti line agent is the way to go.   And write yourself a note to call him and have him requite it every 6 months.   

Go with high deducts.   On the house do not insure the foundation or lot.   Just the replacement value of the actual house.   

If you have time call two different agents who have at least 10 or more lines they write.  They will undoubtedly be writing for different lines.

And before shopping for life insurance be sure you need it.   If you have kids there is a very generous SSI for the surviving spouse and kids.   Most surviving spouses are like lottery winners.   They spend baby spend.   So be sure a trust is the payee of the policy and be sure that trust is low annual fees and has a specific payout for your goals.