Author Topic: website calculating returns over x years?  (Read 4402 times)

schoenbauer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
website calculating returns over x years?
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
Hey there,

I'm looking for a website which calculates average returns and standard deviation for a 100% equity portfolio for a chosen time frame. Does anyone know about such a website?

Thanks in advance!
schoenbauer

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: website calculating returns over x years?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Not exactly what you seek, but in the ballpark: http://dqydj.net/sp-500-return-calculator/

schoenbauer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
yeah thanks for the link. it is an interesting read, but not exactly what i'm looking for ;)

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
I'm wondering if a service of this type is something people would pay for.  This could be such a complicated area to track that if some one provided a service to analyze your portfolio over its history compared to other investment options, it may be worth it to help with future decisions.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »

schoenbauer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:55:43 PM »
hm, i'm having a much more simple idea in mind (for which i wouldn't like to pay). simply a table like this (for 100% stocks):
1st year: min. return, max. return, average return, median
2nd year: ....

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
I still don't understand what you want.  What stocks?  A particular index?  All stocks?  How would it have an average return for one-year?  Don't you just mean the yearly return?  What do you mean by median? (I know what median means, but what do you mean in this context?)

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »
Maybe this? http://thume.ca/indexView/

No? I'm confused too.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
Maybe the OP is looking for something like this? No median values here, only min and max.
data on SP500 returns for various holding periods based on Robert Shiller's data-set (calculations by M. Housel)

source: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/18/your-last-remaining-edge-on-wall-street.aspx?source=iymsitlnk0000002

All the data is available, you could do this yourself for whatever time period(s) you were looking for, including min, max, median, etc.  Seems the perfect use for a box-plot.

schoenbauer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »
oh yeah, what nereo posted is something that helps me out here! and yes, this data is available in some tables, but i assume someone already but the numbers together^^

arebelspy: and by average return im refering to the average return of a 1 year investment in a broad index in any given year over the past years (for which data is available). and by using median i want to get a somewhat more clear picture in terms of box-plots.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »
arebelspy: and by average return im refering to the average return of a 1 year investment in a broad index in any given year over the past years (for which data is available).

How is that different than the 1-year return?

And what is a min. return for 1 year?  And how would it be different than the max return?

You wrote:
1st year: min. return, max. return, average return, median

Or did you just mean the low point for the year, the high point, and the average point?  Or ending point?

All of those make sense over a time period, but you need a shorter time interval for that to be the case.  E.g. monthly returns over one year, or yearly returns over a 5 year period.  Min/max/median then makes sense.  But just looking at a 1 year timeframe compared to itself min=max=avg.. there's just the one return for the year.

/still confused.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
Shiller has monthly S&P500 data going back to 1871 with price, CPI, earnings and dividends here for free: http://www.econ.yale.edu/~shiller/data/ie_data.xls

Here is the description of the data sources: http://www.econ.yale.edu/~shiller/data.htm

You can manipulate that as you need to.