Author Topic: We have survived the switch to generic toilet paper.  (Read 43528 times)

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
Re: We have survived the switch to generic toilet paper.
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 05:16:18 AM »
I don't even bother with generic, when you can get name brand even cheaper through staples or amazon S&S (I buy at $0.25/roll max).

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »
another vote for actual cloth for #1s.  It's the best.  DH does not participate, but me and our 2 girls do.  (This came about after cloth diapering kids.  It made sense.  Then I realized it was also the superior item for the job.)

Kirkland TP takes care of our other TP needs.  But we don't need to buy much of it since we use cloth.

Serious question.....how does that work.......do you wash them in the same washing machine as clothes?

If you care about how much you spend on TP then install a handheld bidet and you can cut back on TP usage big time. My bidet was $40 and was easy to install. I really prefer being at home now.

Another - but, then don't you have to dry your arse with something?

GumbyPickles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
I've always preferred the cheap stuff.  Only problem is when guests are over, I feel like a cheap jerk.

2704b59cc36a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »
another vote for actual cloth for #1s.  It's the best.  DH does not participate, but me and our 2 girls do.  (This came about after cloth diapering kids.  It made sense.  Then I realized it was also the superior item for the job.)

Kirkland TP takes care of our other TP needs.  But we don't need to buy much of it since we use cloth.

Serious question.....how does that work.......do you wash them in the same washing machine as clothes?

If you care about how much you spend on TP then install a handheld bidet and you can cut back on TP usage big time. My bidet was $40 and was easy to install. I really prefer being at home now.

Yes, but it is still less.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
I grew up on the super cheap terrible generic stuff and think I over-corrected when I started buying my own TP.  Cottonelle for me.  I always figured my butt was worth the extra couple of bucks.  And I only have to buy it about 3 times a year anyway.  I'm about to pick up the giant package of Costco TP for doing that Living Social thing.  That will last me at least a year.  And the Costco stuff isn't bad at all.

+1.  At the grocery store, it breaks down to .42 a roll if bought on sale w/ a coupon.  :D

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
I laughed out loud multiple times while reading this... OMG you guys are too much...

I used to get mad at my mom when she bought cheap TP.  It was like tissue paper - the worst ever.  I'm pretty price sensitive but I avoid that stuff at all costs. 

Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum, but last year in business school (my program was highly focused on innovation) I learned about a company called Renova that produces black toilet paper: http://www.myrenova.com/p/8/black-toilet-paper... Apparently it can be found at really fancy hotels in NYC and the like... Crazy!

apologies if this is too gross to even say (but I feel like you guys can handle it), but something my boyfriend pointed out once (not sure why we were talking about people wiping their butts, but...)...how do blind people know when they're "done"? that would be my concern with that black and brown TP! LOL.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »
I grew up on basic cheap Scott, and that was what I continued to use when I left home.  My husband was adamant that Charmin was the only way to go, so we used that for years.  I finally talked him into trying the Kirkland stuff, and he's been happy with that, so we're at least saving a little money.

I'd be fine with cloth wipes for urine.  We did cloth diapers and I use cloth pads, so I don't really see it as out of the box.  Maybe we'll try it at the new place.  It's on septic and I gather that it's better to not put too much TP into the system.     

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
I grew up on basic cheap Scott, and that was what I continued to use when I left home.  My husband was adamant that Charmin was the only way to go, so we used that for years.  I finally talked him into trying the Kirkland stuff, and he's been happy with that, so we're at least saving a little money.

I'd be fine with cloth wipes for urine.  We did cloth diapers and I use cloth pads, so I don't really see it as out of the box.  Maybe we'll try it at the new place.  It's on septic and I gather that it's better to not put too much TP into the system.     

Using cloth wipes for #1 is, in my experience, WAY less gross than cloth diapers and cloth pads. (I have used the former and still use the latter.) No rinsing, no soaking. Just toss in a hot wash load. I actually often run mine through a rinse cycle, but only because I usually run one anyone to get the gross out of any clothing that Little Brother has peed on (which happens at least once most days... he loves underpants, but is still practicing) and/or gotten vast quantities of oatmeal and/or yogurt on.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »

Yes, but it is still less.

OK.  But, what do you wipe with?  Regular TP?  And, any answer to the first question?  To me, the idea of putting poopy cloths in the wash is a little..........how do I say, echhhhh.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 03:09:33 AM »
TP generic or name-brand is entirely optional if there's a shower near the toilet.

I recently returned from a trip to japan and already miss their awesome toilets. I cant wait until my wife lets me get rid of TP all together.

But as long as it is still around I go for the costco brand

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2014, 04:29:42 AM »
TP generic or name-brand is entirely optional if there's a shower near the toilet.

I recently returned from a trip to japan and already miss their awesome toilets. I cant wait until my wife lets me get rid of TP all together.

But as long as it is still around I go for the costco brand
Do it!  So worth it. I waited 10 years!  And now am finally happy. You will still need a little tp though, unless you want to wait 10 minutes for the dryer to dry you.  I just use a bit to blot up the water.   I've saved money already on not buying tp and wipes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 06:27:32 AM »
If your ass is clean, why not use a towel to dry off?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 06:56:52 AM »
I laughed out loud multiple times while reading this... OMG you guys are too much...

I used to get mad at my mom when she bought cheap TP.  It was like tissue paper - the worst ever.  I'm pretty price sensitive but I avoid that stuff at all costs. 

Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum, but last year in business school (my program was highly focused on innovation) I learned about a company called Renova that produces black toilet paper: http://www.myrenova.com/p/8/black-toilet-paper... Apparently it can be found at really fancy hotels in NYC and the like... Crazy!

apologies if this is too gross to even say (but I feel like you guys can handle it), but something my boyfriend pointed out once (not sure why we were talking about people wiping their butts, but...)...how do blind people know when they're "done"? that would be my concern with that black and brown TP! LOL.
a response grosser than the question? Braille!

bahahahaha oh my god.

And, any answer to the first question?  To me, the idea of putting poopy cloths in the wash is a little..........how do I say, echhhhh.

she said they use cloth for #1, Kirkland brand TP for #2

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
I fail to understand how people aspire to soft "clothlike" TP.  I want my TP rough and ready, something with a little bite to it, something tough enough to do the job.  I'm trying to remove turds, not polish them.

Just shot iced tea through my nose, across my office.  Nicely done! :-)

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 09:02:31 AM »
We get the really cheap Scott single ply.  Single ply all the way!

Same here! And YES, as was said, plumbers love it. Put some in water and agitate it. Now do the same with Charmin, which has cotton fibers in it and such that do NOT break down well. You'll see the difference pretty quickly.

johnhenry

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 09:12:39 AM »
Corn cobs for the win.  You can use a dark colored cobb for the first couple passes, but you need to get a light colored one to make sure you are done.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
I'm picky about this issue.  I require toilet paper with strength, no residual butt lint, that doesn't feel like sandpaper, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Anything with ridges or ruffles is out (serious butt lint such that I don't even feel clean afterward.)

Angel Soft is my first choice based on these criteria.  White Cloud (a walmart brand I think) is my second. 

From a couponer's perspective, I stock-up based on unit price.  Double rolls at 25-30 cents per roll is the stock-up price for me.  I presently have enough TP to last a year and a half, stored in the useless, above-the-fridge cabinet and too-high-to-function, top shelf of my closet.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2014, 09:21:12 AM »
Wow, I am pleased that the thread has so much participation and interest and some humor and good information too.  Way to go, MMMers!

Today I was shopping at my new favorite grocery store, Aldi, and I found that it is their Willow Soft and Strong toilet paper that I like. 
Price is $4.99 for 12 double rolls, so $0.42 per roll.

That's my price to beat.  I'm curious about how to get even better pricing ordering from the office supply stores or Amazon.com or using coupons effectively.  I know we will always need toilet paper.  (sorry, no bidet, no washlet, no cloth for us hicks.)

I'd also love to hyper-analyze laundry soap.  (that's another thread)

Thanks for the conversation and keep those money saving tips coming!  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:26:31 AM by KBecks2 »

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
I'm picky about this issue.  I require toilet paper with strength, no residual butt lint, that doesn't feel like sandpaper, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Anything with ridges or ruffles is out (serious butt lint such that I don't even feel clean afterward.)

Angel Soft is my first choice based on these criteria.  White Cloud (a walmart brand I think) is my second. 

From a couponer's perspective, I stock-up based on unit price.  Double rolls at 25-30 cents per roll is the stock-up price for me.  I presently have enough TP to last a year and a half, stored in the useless, above-the-fridge cabinet and too-high-to-function, top shelf of my closet.

Where are you getting the coupons?   Thanks!   I'm not a couponer overall but might want to start with a few select items and see how ti goes.  I need to keep it easy to manage.  Thanks again!

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 09:46:14 AM »

Where are you getting the coupons?   Thanks!   I'm not a couponer overall but might want to start with a few select items and see how ti goes.  I need to keep it easy to manage.  Thanks again!

All over - I usually do internet printable coupons.  There was recently a Facebook coupon for a free 4 pack of White Cloud with any 12 pack White Cloud purchase.  So 16 double rolls for $3.97 = 24.8 cents a double roll.  TP is the holy grail for couponers so when we find a deal we stock up.  :-)

It *sounds* somewhat complicated (but it's not).  I suffer some serious scorn on the forum every time I bring up couponing but it works so I suffer lol  www.southernsavers.com is a good place to start with instructional videos.  Be careful, stick to only products you already use, forget pre-programmed brand loyalty, and never stockpile more than a year's worth of anything - you'll do just fine. :-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:47:45 AM by OSUBearCub »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »

Not so practical if you're female.

We use the least expensive paper that is compatible with a comfortable butt. That usually is some store brand single-ply. I don't think wiping your own butt should be a character-building experience.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »
All over - I usually do internet printable coupons. 
It *sounds* somewhat complicated (but it's not). Be careful, stick to only products you already use, forget pre-programmed brand loyalty, and never stockpile more than a year's worth of anything - you'll do just fine. :-)

KBecks2 - Thank you SO MUCH for creating this thread.  It is the first one I open due to guaranteed humor. 

As for coupons, I second OSUBearCub.  I use coupons.com, redplum.com, and smartsource.com.  For 10 min/week, I can usually find $8-$12 worth of coupons for products I was going to buy regardless.  I'm sure some people can do much better, but for $40/month, it's worth my time. 

Typical big score items:  cereal, TP, PT, deodorant, soap (laundry, hair, bar), condiments (soy sauce, Frank's red hot).   

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
As someone with stomach issues that shits 4-5 times a day, every day, I feel like this is a topic I can weigh in on.  This may be TMI, but i'm totally over it and open with people about it in real life.

I try to use the restroom at work such that I minimize toilet paper usage to weekends as much as possible. I consider free toilet paper to be an employment benefit.

I also take full advantage of this.  Not specifically to reduce my home usage, but just because I can rarely go 8 hours without. 

I fail to understand how people aspire to soft "clothlike" TP.  I want my TP rough and ready, something with a little bite to it, something tough enough to do the job.  I'm trying to remove turds, not polish them.

Yeah but those turds are clinging to a delicate butthole.  I would prefer my butthole skin get polished instead of removed with the turds.  The same principal applies to kleenex - Usually any old kleenex or tp will do to blow my nose, unless I have a cold and am blowing it constantly, then I need the high quality lotion infused kleenex or else my nose will be absolutely raw.  Nobody likes a raw nose or butthole. 

Today is an especially bad day and i've already had 4 BMs (3 at work).   I'm sure to get in another 4 today (probably 2 at work).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »
We purchase the costco brand tp.  Even with my frequent usage I don't think my tp usage is more than $10/mo, which I feel is reasonable.  Not really worth trying to reduce that cost to me.

johnhenry

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
One place I used to work tried to combat excessive use by buying "John Wayne" TP.  One co-worker gave it that nickname because in addition to being particularly gritty, "it didn't take no shit off nobody".

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 01:04:37 PM »

It *sounds* somewhat complicated (but it's not).  I suffer some serious scorn on the forum every time I bring up couponing but it works so I suffer lol  www.southernsavers.com is a good place to start with instructional videos.  Be careful, stick to only products you already use, forget pre-programmed brand loyalty, and never stockpile more than a year's worth of anything - you'll do just fine. :-)

OK, I have a goal now to try to hit your target price of $0.24 per roll.   Now, in all seriousness, what does a year's supply look like?   I have not analyzed this, but I would imagine my family of 5 uses approximately 12 rolls per month.  Maybe less. 

I got an OfficeMax reward program thing they say is worth $15 in my email.  I might go buy TP with it after this thread (and after figuring out the terms of the offer.)

Thanks!

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:07 PM »
Oh all these first world problems... ;)

I buy kirkland's. Have used the "good stuff" (charmin) and hated it, too much fluff for me. Costco's stuff is the perfect level between fluffy and sandpaper thin. Doesn't feel like cheap tp to me!

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »

OK, I have a goal now to try to hit your target price of $0.24 per roll.   Now, in all seriousness, what does a year's supply look like?   I have not analyzed this, but I would imagine my family of 5 uses approximately 12 rolls per month.  Maybe less. 

I got an OfficeMax reward program thing they say is worth $15 in my email.  I might go buy TP with it after this thread (and after figuring out the terms of the offer.)

Thanks!

I'm single and live alone but I stockpile like I'm two people.  I estimate that per, typical use, I'm at 1 roll per week.  Should any calamity happen or my body decide to develop some unfortunate issue such as frugalnacho has mentioned, I double that quantity as a buffer - TP never goes bad so stock up lol.  I also add 2 rolls per month for family and friends in emergencies - once they know you're sitting on a mountain of TP you will become their go-to when times are tight lol. 52 weeks X 2 rolls per week = 104 double rolls per year.  104 plus 24 emergency rolls for my sister = 128 double rolls kept on hand at all times.  128 double rolls/12 per pack = {drumroll}

10 12-packs plus 2 4-packs  This should be ample supply for two people, maybe just double it for your family?

The space requirement will vary depending on the brand, quantity that works out best in your coupon deal (4-pack, 6-pack, 12-pack etc), and shape of the packages.  My entire TP stockpile fits on a single shelf in the closet.  It's about 5 feet long and 15 inches from the ceiling.   Most family couponers I know have a stack from floor to ceiling in an out of the way corner of the garage.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »

We use the least expensive paper that is compatible with a comfortable butt. That usually is some store brand single-ply. I don't think wiping your own butt should be a character-building experience.

http://www.shewee.com/

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »

Neat device, but you still have to blot dry afterward.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
I find cutting back on Mexican food lowers my overall TP consumption...but it's sooo damn good

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »
My dad actually did use corn cobs. 

Yep. My mother did too. Ten boys and girls, two parents, one outhouse. Plenty of corn cobs and newspaper.

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2014, 03:05:34 PM »
We've never been "brand loyal" when it comes to TP so we've used several name brands and several different generics based on what was the cheapest after sale and coupon(s).  The only brand that DH has specifically asked me to never buy again is Scott 1000. 

yddeyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »
Wait, don't you still have to pat yourself dry even if you use a bidet?  How are you avoiding using TP?

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »

When I was a couponer/stockpiler, I priced TP by the square foot to make sure that I could compare apples to apples when comparing prices.  Most of what I have stashed was free, purchased back in the day when it was possible.  I have it stored in the same types of places that you do.   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »

Neat device, but you still have to blot dry afterward.

Damn, I thought they had solved that problem.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »
My dad actually did use corn cobs. 

Yep. My mother did too. Ten boys and girls, two parents, one outhouse. Plenty of corn cobs and newspaper.

We may be related. 

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »

I'm single and live alone but I stockpile like I'm two people.  I estimate that per, typical use, I'm at 1 roll per week.  Should any calamity happen or my body decide to develop some unfortunate issue such as frugalnacho has mentioned, I double that quantity as a buffer - TP never goes bad so stock up lol.  I also add 2 rolls per month for family and friends in emergencies - once they know you're sitting on a mountain of TP you will become their go-to when times are tight lol. 52 weeks X 2 rolls per week = 104 double rolls per year.  104 plus 24 emergency rolls for my sister = 128 double rolls kept on hand at all times.  128 double rolls/12 per pack = {drumroll}

10 12-packs plus 2 4-packs  This should be ample supply for two people, maybe just double it for your family?

The space requirement will vary depending on the brand, quantity that works out best in your coupon deal (4-pack, 6-pack, 12-pack etc), and shape of the packages.  My entire TP stockpile fits on a single shelf in the closet.  It's about 5 feet long and 15 inches from the ceiling.   Most family couponers I know have a stack from floor to ceiling in an out of the way corner of the garage.

You are quite the planner!  :)   I have a large crawlspace whereI can store TP, paper towels, laundry detergent, whatever that is non perishable.  (I can also store some basic foods, but want to be careful about expiration dates). 

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
So I cracked open a fresh package of unfamiliar TP last night due to this thread.  Quilted Northern to be precise.  BLAM! Poke-through.  I found this to be unacceptable. 

I'm penning a letter to Georgia-Pacific immediately.  "Dear Mr. Georgia Pacific, I regret to inform you..."

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
So I cracked open a fresh package of unfamiliar TP last night due to this thread.  Quilted Northern to be precise.  BLAM! Poke-through.  I found this to be unacceptable. 

I'm penning a letter to Georgia-Pacific immediately.  "Dear Mr. Georgia Pacific, I regret to inform you..."

I know this is a bit awful, but when choosing a new brand of TP I usually look around for a pack that has been slightly opened on the top. Lots of people do this so it never fails. I put my finger in and try the texture, see how well the sheets separate, how thick, etc. Then I take a different package home. :P

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2014, 01:15:09 AM »
I gave up TP about 6 months ago.  I purchased two of these (cloth wipes): http://www.amazon.com/GroVia-Cloth-Wipes-12-count/dp/B003X3R6TO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1414047999&sr=8-5&keywords=organic+cotton+baby+wipes and a friend gave me two wet bags for free. http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Wet-Diaper-Medium/dp/B005WWIMGA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414048057&sr=8-2&keywords=wet+bag  Something like that would work.  And I bought a basket for $0.99.   I wash them about every other day - third day.  Use them for everything and have found that they do not stain.  Or if so, is super faint and disappears after a couple washes.  I was buying TP in bulk from Costco at the rate of about $36 a year.  I purchased the wipes for about $24 and they will last indefinitely.   I still have TP left from before, and that's always available for guests.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
Slightly off topic but in 5th grade I had to write a simile on a piece of paper and draw a picture for class. My mom helped me to come up with one... needless to say the teacher got upset over my drawing and simile and scheduled a meeting with my mom to "talk about it". My mom still laughs about it today.

"Toilet paper is like the Starship Enterprise, they both circle Uranus in seach of Klingons"

Dang it! I was going to say that. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an original from you though as it was a common joke during my childhood. I'm not sure what that says about my childhood though.

As far as cheap toilet paper...well count me as a frugal-weenie. I tried buying Target brand once to save some money, and it just wasn't up to the job, so I went back to the super absorbent style. I'm not even sure if it saved money as I felt the need to double up on the stash when applying.

I guess I feel there are bigger fish to fry in my budget than toilet paper. However, this could be one more reason why I will never achieve $15k/year expense-status as others on this forum.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
A little off topic, but maybe you guys can settle the score. My apologies in advance for the potential grossness discussed.

On a recent multi-day bicycle trip through the boonies with little access to regular toilets during the day...which approach do you think is grosser (for a woman, let's say)? Go behind a tree, drop your padded bike shorts, do your thing, put shorts back on, then continue riding (note no dirty hands). OR...enter a disgusting porta-potty with questionable cleaning history, do your thing, use the cheap toilet paper, have no way to wash your hands, then go on your merry way?

I won't say which side of the argument I was on...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:22:24 PM by Daisy »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »
A little off topic, but maybe you guys can settle the score. My apologies in advance for the potential grossness discussed.

On a recent multi-day bicycle trip through the boonies with little access to regular toilets during the day...which approach do you think is grosser (for a woman, let's say)? Drop your padded bike shorts, do your thing, put shorts back on, then continue riding (note no dirty hands). OR...enter a disgusting porta-potty with questionable cleaning history, do your thing, use the cheap toilet paper, have no way to wash your hands, then go on your merry way?

Number 2! um...er..I mean the second choice and bring along some small wet wipes to clean the hands, the stall seat. And if you don't have wet wipes I'd still go with number 2 because you can use the TP to wipe things down before use, and to clean up after use.

Double dang it! I guess there's no way I can win my argument...not that I'm saying I went for option #1 or anything. That would have been gross...well maybe not as gross as option #2 using a porta-potty in the boonies where people have touched the door handles with their disgusting unwashed hands...because really - how many others really ride around with a pack of wet wipes?

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2014, 11:10:57 PM »
A thread 2 pages long about toilet paper. lol wow. We are an interesting bunch.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »

On a recent multi-day bicycle trip through the boonies with little access to regular toilets during the day...which approach do you think is grosser (for a woman, let's say)? Drop your padded bike shorts, do your thing, put shorts back on, then continue riding (note no dirty hands). OR...enter a disgusting porta-potty with questionable cleaning history, do your thing, use the cheap toilet paper, have no way to wash your hands, then go on your merry way?

Number 2! um...er..I mean the second choice and bring along some small wet wipes to clean the hands, the stall seat. And if you don't have wet wipes I'd still go with number 2 because you can use the TP to wipe things down before use, and to clean up after use.

Double dang it! I guess there's no way I can win my argument...not that I'm saying I went for option #1 or anything. That would have been gross...well maybe not as gross as option #2 using a porta-potty in the boonies where people have touched the door handles with their disgusting unwashed hands...because really - how many others really ride around with a pack of wet wipes?
If I was just peeing then I'd probably pick number one (HA!) otherwise...yeah the gross port-a-potty. Not that us women ever go number 2 anyways - rainbows and butterflies are the only thing we emit from the hinny end :-)!

Yay! I finally won the argument! And yes, I am only referring to peeing. Anything more than that, and I guess I would have forced myself to use the porta-potty.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »
The "Charmin Basic"  by Charmin lasts way longer than any other kind at our house. Even paying 10 instead of 6, we can go an extra week with that brand on a pack used by 4 adults. 

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
This was from WSJ last year...a lot of patents are ending:
http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323384604578328440859936424

Cheaper toilet paper is about to get fluffier. WSJ's Paul Ziobro reports companies like Charmin and Cottonelle are about to face some hard competition from store-brand toilet paper products when it comes to softness. Photo: Proctor & Gamble.

Several major U.S. retailers, including  Kroger Co. ,  Supervalu Inc. and  Wal-Mart Stores Inc., are planning to or considering upgrading their store-branded toilet paper in the coming months to a kind that is made using a process that until now has been the near-exclusive domain of the leading national brands like  Procter & Gamble Co. 's Charmin and  Kimberly-Clark Corp.'s Cottonelle.

By the way toilet paper should go over not under :)

iamadummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2014, 02:54:27 PM »
good job

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »

If I was just peeing then I'd probably pick number one (HA!) otherwise...yeah the gross port-a-potty. Not that us women ever go number 2 anyways - rainbows and butterflies are the only thing we emit from the hinny end :-)!

Yay! I finally won the argument! And yes, I am only referring to peeing. Anything more than that, and I guess I would have forced myself to use the porta-potty.

Yeah, I'm with you guys. I would always rather pee in the woods than in a super gross porta-potty or gas station bathroom. Between many years of being a geology student, camp counselor, and hash house harrier, I have peed outside so much I don't even think of it as weird anymore.