Author Topic: We have survived the switch to generic toilet paper.  (Read 43527 times)

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
We have survived the switch to generic toilet paper.
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
Is that over-sharing?  :)    The brand I tried is "Soft and Strong" and I think it was from the grocery store.

Do you have a favorite cheap toilet paper?

Have a great weekend. 

surfhb

Re: We have survived the switch to generic toilet paper.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
That's one area I will never try and Save money on.    TP is $5 a month if you get the good stuff

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
That is what I *USED* to say.   But then I tried the cheap stuff and it's no big deal.  I don't think I have the cheapest stuff,  but I definitely have the lower cost stuff.   It's like a semi-thick one ply.   LOL, I'm talking about TP!   My husband used to insist on Charmain, and I like Cottonelle, but…. I'd rather save a couple bucks.  Really, I would rather have the money. 

I have to sneak some rolls in to my husband's main bathroom and wean him off the Extra Strength Charmain.  Buh, bye, Mr. Whipple.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:46:51 AM »
I am going to give out little packs of raisins for Halloween so teenagers come T.P. my house and I can stock up ;)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »
We get the really cheap Scott single ply. I was raised on it and I actually hate the fluffy stuff. It's too soft and squishy to do a good cleaning job. Single ply all the way!

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
I am going to give out little packs of raisins for Halloween so teenagers come T.P. my house and I can stock up ;)

Awesome.  Now, that is planning.

Unfortunately for me, my kids got too used to "baby wipes".....my wife, too.  They are now 10 and12 and still use them.  Fortunately, they have not tried to flush them in years.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »
I try to use the restroom at work such that I minimize toilet paper usage to weekends as much as possible. I consider free toilet paper to be an employment benefit.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »
You guys are awesome.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 12:46:54 PM »
Clark Howard recommends White Cloud, which is a Wal-Mart brand.  It's actually quite nice.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »
We get the really cheap Scott single ply. I was raised on it and I actually hate the fluffy stuff. It's too soft and squishy to do a good cleaning job. Single ply all the way!

This.  We use the "Mongolian Horde" size (36 rolls) Scott tissue from Sam's Club.  Wouldn't use anything else.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
I can't believe cushy toilet paper is really something people yearn for (or won't let go!) I thought my husband was a huge weirdo when he complained that our toilet paper wasn't soft enough. Apparently his clients spend more on toilet paper than we do - oh well, he can enjoy it there because I didn't even consider his suggestion to upgrade. After all, he's using it maybe once a day, right?!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
Am I the only one that read the title of the thread and went:
"...there's brand name toilet paper?"

I didn't realize that existed.  Like designer brand name toilet paper?  Calvin Klein, or Volcum toilet paper?

I can't name a single brand of toilet paper off the top of my head.

This blows my mind, that people have brands for their toilet paper.  Do the sheets of TP have little logos on them?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
#1 on this list should be #2 cause it would be funnier (for those that are too lazy to click the link it is toilet paper with customizable gold leaf designs so you can wipe your ass in style)

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-4-most-absurdly-expensive-versions-filthy-products/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
TP generic or name-brand is entirely optional if there's a shower near the toilet.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 01:05:28 PM »
Scott Single Ply in a 36 roll pack from Costco lasts us a loooong time.  It does it's job just fine.

The big bonus is that septic-safe single ply is much less likely to clog your drains, even if you are on city sewer like we are.  Talk to a plumber or a drain guy and they'll quickly tell you that the more "soft and cloth like" your TP is, the more likely you are to have drain issues.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 01:15:27 PM »
Fortunately, they have not tried to flush them in years.

Wait...so you have a waste bin for wipes covered in adult's human waste sitting next to the toilet?!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
I use good three-ply toilet paper because it's worth the extra expense.  I have a delicate heinie. :-P

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
I grew up on the super cheap terrible generic stuff and think I over-corrected when I started buying my own TP.  Cottonelle for me.  I always figured my butt was worth the extra couple of bucks.  And I only have to buy it about 3 times a year anyway.  I'm about to pick up the giant package of Costco TP for doing that Living Social thing.  That will last me at least a year.  And the Costco stuff isn't bad at all.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 02:14:43 PM »

Wait...so you have a waste bin for wipes covered in adult's human waste sitting next to the toilet?!

Yes.

Ours has a lid, it didn't ever smell. Many countries do not have plumbing that can support any kind of flushed paper products, let alone wet wipes.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »
Living in the part of WI where most of the name-brand product is made, it almost feels non-patriotic to buy generic. 

But I do...do do....

mitlaura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »

Unfortunately for me, my kids got too used to "baby wipes".....my wife, too.  They are now 10 and12 and still use them.  Fortunately, they have not tried to flush them in years.

Seriously? Buy a cheap large size pump hand lotion. Pump a bit on the TP. DONE. Quick clean, happy hemorrhoids.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »
I usually buy in bulk from Staples online (96 rolls at a time) - brand name, but dirt cheap.  Check the deals sites to see what I mean. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
Single ply Scott from Costco here!

Those kids and wife above have to wean off of wipes! Oh my, do the math on that! Yikes!

Elisabeth

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
After the stuff in the middle east with shards of wood in it (watch out for splinters), generic is the height of luxury.

And, we were lucky to have TP at all in the middle east...

tracylayton

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
Whatever generic is the cheapest...it's going to be flushed down the toilet, anyhow!

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »
Sorry Kbecks for derailing, but this must be shared!  Apparently there is a term for the sewer clogs caused by the congealed mess of bottom wipes and cooking fats:  fatberg!

Story with photos:

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-fatberg-the-size-of-a-boeing-747-under-shepherds-bush-road-2014-9

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
I fail to understand how people aspire to soft "clothlike" TP.  I want my TP rough and ready, something with a little bite to it, something tough enough to do the job.  I'm trying to remove turds, not polish them.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »
If you want it clothlike... use actual cloth. That's what I do (only for #1). I have all these rags that used to be cloth diaper wipes or that I use for wiping noses and small spills, and as the only lady in the house, I would normally be our prime toilet paper consumer.

But... I admit I'm a sucker for the flushable wipes. The Walmart brand are pretty cheap.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 08:45:30 PM »
This thread is hilarious. I buy Charmin Ultra Strong or Charmin Basic on sale with coupons. I have a medical condition and can easily use a couple rolls in a week. Deviating from *my* tp for too long is not worth the savings. Using different brands has been a horrible experience: college roommates liked Angel Soft and Cottonelle when we had an apartment. The dorms had this disgusting tissue thin sandpaper, my dad overbought Scotts once. I have tried probably 90% of the options available though. I will be using my living social costco coupon and trying theirs- worst case scenario I can have the fiance use it or give it to my dad :)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 08:51:54 PM »
I usually buy Target-brand stuff in the BIG packages when it's on sale.  I like the stuff that's a knock-off of the stuff that's supposed to be "quilted", but I forget the brand name. 

Every now and then my husband will buy TP, and he doesn't pay any attention -- he just grabs.  I hate when we end up with that super-soft stuff.  It's so thick that each roll contains very, very little product. 

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
Slightly off topic but in 5th grade I had to write a simile on a piece of paper and draw a picture for class. My mom helped me to come up with one... needless to say the teacher got upset over my drawing and simile and scheduled a meeting with my mom to "talk about it". My mom still laughs about it today.

"Toilet paper is like the Starship Enterprise, they both circle Uranus in seach of Klingons"

Datastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
I buy my TP on grocery shopping trips. I make my choice based purely on whichever offering has the lowest per-unit price. The soft stuff is nice, but I'd rather save a few bucks and get the cheap stuff. Really not a big deal to me.

firedup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 10:50:10 PM »
My local store has really good sales on TP and they double coupons up to 99 cents so I team them to the sales and stock up. We get any and every brand this way. No special/loyal brand here. It's cheapest deal all the way.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 01:40:06 AM »
Am I the only one that read the title of the thread and went:
"...there's brand name toilet paper?"

I didn't realize that existed.  Like designer brand name toilet paper?  Calvin Klein, or Volcum toilet paper?

I can't name a single brand of toilet paper off the top of my head.

This blows my mind, that people have brands for their toilet paper.  Do the sheets of TP have little logos on them?

The good ones have pictures of Obama.  You pay a little extra, but it is oh so good.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 01:44:29 AM »

Seriously? Buy a cheap large size pump hand lotion. Pump a bit on the TP. DONE. Quick clean, happy hemorrhoids.

Pump hand lotion?  You have to be kidding?  Come on, now.  I don't think they want happy or sad H'roids.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 01:47:30 AM »
I fail to understand how people aspire to soft "clothlike" TP.  I want my TP rough and ready, something with a little bite to it, something tough enough to do the job.  I'm trying to remove turds, not polish them.

Come on, with that photo, I think you polish one every now and then.  Admit it.  It's ok.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 01:50:40 AM »

Yes.

Ours has a lid, it didn't ever smell. Many countries do not have plumbing that can support any kind of flushed paper products, let alone wet wipes.

Yep.  Mayday is not the only one.  One might argue the alternative is being Ivan Itchyass the rest of the day.  That Serbian, not Russian.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »
We get Marcal recycled 1-ply. Shit lasts forever. I'm always surprised when we actually run out of TP, which is impressive with 3 kids who love to waste it.

It's not a huge costs savings, but I have never had discomfort from it. And why the fuck would I care? My ass rides a bike all the time. I WANT it to not be sensitive.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 08:56:59 AM »
You're wimps, all of you. In my day, we used corn cobs and pine cones. Our shoe-less feet froze as we trudged up hill to the outhouse in the snow.

But seriously, there are cost-effective alternatives to bathroom tissue, including flannel and spray bottles.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/08/20/oh-no-there-is-no-toilet-paper-what-do-i-do/

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 09:18:54 AM »
This thread is hilarious.  I am enjoying it since I get to poke a little fun at my wife and kids.  It will be interesting when he has to start paying for his own wipes.  Unfortunately, my wife thinks of them as a regular staple.  For my potential cost-cutting wins, it is far down the list if sorted by likelihood of success.

There were even guys at the office who kept a travel pack of wipes.  So, Bob, where you heading?  Sure you'll be back for the 10 o'clock?

Overseas Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 09:38:13 AM »
I try to use the restroom at work such that I minimize toilet paper usage to weekends as much as possible. I consider free toilet paper to be an employment benefit.
+1. Added benefit if you do it at work you are actually getting paid to poop! why do something for free if you can get paid to do it? Maybe it is just me but it is like my body gets pretty regular and come 10 am it's time to take a break.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
I use some generic or store brand TP from my neighborhood Albertsons. A few times a year it goes on sale for $3 for a 12 pack 2 ply paper. That's about half price. I usually pick up 4 at that price and stack them up in the spare room.

I don't skimp on the "shit kits" for the hiking packs. We do all day hikes in remote areas and you never know when you might need to go find a good view and dig a cat hole. Best to be prepared. I fill a ziploc bag with some generic wet wipes and some little baggies to pack the used wipes out with.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »
Great thread.  I'm just glad that somewhere along the way my son decided using tp was a good idea.  Sure, I saved money on asswipe, but laundry day was literally shitty.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
I laughed out loud multiple times while reading this... OMG you guys are too much...

I used to get mad at my mom when she bought cheap TP.  It was like tissue paper - the worst ever.  I'm pretty price sensitive but I avoid that stuff at all costs. 

Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum, but last year in business school (my program was highly focused on innovation) I learned about a company called Renova that produces black toilet paper: http://www.myrenova.com/p/8/black-toilet-paper... Apparently it can be found at really fancy hotels in NYC and the like... Crazy!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:00:49 PM by trailrated »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »
You're wimps, all of you. In my day, we used corn cobs and pine cones. Our shoe-less feet froze as we trudged up hill to the outhouse in the snow.

But seriously, there are cost-effective alternatives to bathroom tissue, including flannel and spray bottles.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/08/20/oh-no-there-is-no-toilet-paper-what-do-i-do/

My dad actually did use corn cobs.  They had a barrel of red and blue corn cobs and a barrel of white corn cobs (to finish the job).  The girls in the family got to use the Sears Catalog once per month. 

I was raised on Scott's tissue and I like it because it doesn't "shed" or leave fuzz behind.  But nowadays, I have the Toto washlet and will NEVER go back.  Seriously, this is a life changer. 

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
I use generic but I don't like one-ply. Maybe I'll switch when we have little kids who waste toilet paper, but the two of us are pretty reasonable about not rushing through it.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:09 PM »
another vote for actual cloth for #1s.  It's the best.  DH does not participate, but me and our 2 girls do.  (This came about after cloth diapering kids.  It made sense.  Then I realized it was also the superior item for the job.)

Kirkland TP takes care of our other TP needs.  But we don't need to buy much of it since we use cloth.

2704b59cc36a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 12:28:26 AM »
If you care about how much you spend on TP then install a handheld bidet and you can cut back on TP usage big time. My bidet was $40 and was easy to install. I really prefer being at home now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!