Author Topic: We're Partying (or Growling) Here on the 25th!  (Read 11514 times)

scrubbyfish

We're Partying (or Growling) Here on the 25th!
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:09:15 PM »
...and you're invited! You are welcome if you are: sad, happy, alone, connected, excited, bored, introverted, extroverted, queer, straight, quirky, normal, conventional, unconventional, spendy*, frugal, scared, confident...

The party is Festivus/Christmas/Early Kwanzaa/Belated Solstice/Nothing/Post Hanukkah/A Day/December 25th.

If you will feel happy to be with Friends With Mustaches on December 25th, grab your drink of choice, pull up a chair, and look for a thread here along the lines of Mustachey Christmas Café, or some other reasonably obvious title. It may well be started by any of our MMM friends in China, New Zealand, Australia, etc. Whoever is interested, bring your own set of keys in case you arrive first. If so, open the door, put on the kettle, and prepare to be joined off and on throughout the day, as everyone feels like. (You get to take off at whatever point you like, too; one of the rest of us will lock up.)

Bring: nothing, a poem about the day, a poem having absolutely nothing to do with the day, a note about the TV shows you're taking the opportunity to binge on, a map of the hike you're about to take, a link to you singing us a carol on YouTube, photos of your hot tub, a list of things you hate about the season, a description of the nachos you're enjoying, your enthusiasm about the book you've just opened, highlights of the spending you avoided this month, the scent of bubble bath you'll be immersing yourself in and a reasonable estimate of how high the bubbles will go, the cause you're writing a letter on behalf of that day...

Merry (or Crabby) Anything! See some of you then! :)

* That's right: Even you!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: We're Partying (or Growling) Here on the 25th!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:29:08 PM »
I feel honest, actual, heartfelt love for you right now scrubbyfish. Hope that's okay :-P

You know I'll be there. I'll be the one wearing my princess leia pyjamas, eating nachos and watching star wars. And posting on the thread about how great this community is. And making imaginary cups of tea for y'all.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:23:33 AM »
You realise we're almost a whole day in front of you in Australia - for instance it it almost 6:30PM 18/12/2014 here - and it is almost 11:30PM 17/12/2014 in Vancouver.

I guess it means we can party in the MMM party room for almost 2 days!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:38:17 AM »
You realise we're almost a whole day in front of you in Australia - for instance it it almost 6:30PM 18/12/2014 here - and it is almost 11:30PM 17/12/2014 in Vancouver.

I guess it means we can party in the MMM party room for almost 2 days!

EPIC!!!!! :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:45:08 AM »
Hmm, I guess that means a Kiwi needs to open the party room since they are 2more hours ahead. That way there will be maximum mustache party time.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 02:55:42 AM »
The time difference is good, since I will be bouncing in and out between visiting other places and will probably crash in the coffee shop during our evening :)

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 04:36:09 AM »
...and you're invited! You are welcome if you are: sad, happy, alone, connected, excited, bored, introverted, extroverted, queer, straight, quirky, normal, conventional, unconventional, spendy*, frugal, scared, confident...

[...]

Merry (or Crabby) Anything! See some of you then! :)

* That's right: Even you!

Awww, thanks for inviting me!  :-)

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:38:40 AM »
I'm getting hammered at this one.  Consider yourselves warned!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 05:14:29 AM »
I'm getting hammered at this one.  Consider yourselves warned!
Be careful - getting hammered often leads to getting nailed...
Or screwed....
Or plastered....
Or bored (board)....

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 06:41:50 AM »
Scrubby, sincere thanks for posting this, I will definitely be there.  After splitting with my SO recently, I'll be on my own, and while I'm looking forward to drinking prosecco, eating random (bought, gasp!) canapes and chocolates, reading the new John Sandford and watching series 3 of The Walking Dead while wearing my new jammies, I've been dreading feeling lonely so it will be lovely to "chat" to other Mustachians - even if I'm 8 hours ahead!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 07:32:48 AM »
I'll be on "my island" this Christmas. I will be staying overnight at my sisters place on Christmas Eve and will be woken up (most likely horrifically early) by my nieces and nephew.  Have to admit, watching these kids on Christmas morning warms our DINK'ish hearts - it is around this time of year that our decision not to have children makes us a bit glum  - being immersed in the kid-fueled holiday frenzy helps.

I especially look forward to my nephew's reaction as he unwraps his new Xbox One - he thinks he is getting Lego again. I think he might actually reach orbit in his excitement. :)

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
I'll be joining in.   I have a feeling the cafe will get more and more interesting as the alcohol flows...

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
I'll drop in and offer random Twin Peaks quotes related to other posts. Trust me, I'll find a way to connect them.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 09:09:23 AM »
Awesomeness, one and all!!

So, the correct response to the question, "Do you have plans for Christmas?" is, "Why yes, I will be immersed in and flanked by a host of Mustachioed Ones. You?"

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »
*hugs scrubbyfish*

dandeliongirl75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
Perfect...now I have plans for Christmas...I might even bring some wine :)

I think it needs to be at least a three day event though, as some of us still like boxing day (even if we live in a country that does not celebrate it any more)......

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 11:14:34 AM »
I'm in!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
I feel honest, actual, heartfelt love for you right now scrubbyfish. Hope that's okay :-P

Same here.  What a great post scrubbyfish!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »
I was at the gym on the treadmill when I got a text from my wife: PLEASE GET WINE

Uh oh... bad day at the office I think. So after the workout I walk over to the mall and into the government liquor store (yes, in Canuckistan we are reduced to this) and at every checkout stand there is a LINEUP ten people deep. This is at 12:30 in the afternoon. Looks like the public has proclaimed the holidays (aka drinking season) have officially started.

And let's keep this thread on the first page people!

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
. Looks like the public has proclaimed the holidays (aka drinking season) have officially started.

!

I'M IN

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »
Since I live in the bourbon state...i will clearly be here, with a bottle of the finest ($20) bottle of bourbon by my side.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »
And let's keep this thread on the first page people!

Thanks, Jon_Snow! We want to make sure everyone knows they've got a place to be on the 25th! (And that's the 25th regardless of when that happens where each person is. Just based on demographics, we'll probably have more in the latter hours of the 48 vs the earlier, but there's nothing stopping any of us in North America from joining the rest of our pals earlier!)

Thanks, everyone, for the lovely notes of love and appreciation and looking-forward-to-it-ness. I feel we're a real community -many of us not having met has little to do with anything- and I love that after cheering each other on and helping each other out and supporting each other through the tough personal stuff all year long, any of us who want can also connect on any given holiday, especially ones that might be tough for some. We're here, we're going to rock it in some bizarro Mustachey way, and you're invited!

I'm looking forward to it! (I already have two contributions ready. Of course, they cost me $0. And I've arranged a covert getaway from the IRL fray to be able to immerse at points in the one we're going to have here.)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
Well, I'm gonna be here on the 24th with hot tub updates... and observations concerning my nieces and nephews sugar fuelled meltdowns. I really can't wait. For the past ten years, the greatest thing about this time of year was that I always had ten days off work. Now that I don't have a job I find myself soaking up the vibe of the season. It's different for me... and I think I like it.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 01:12:39 PM »
Looking forward to this!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
\m/ aw yeah! \m/

We are having our annual Eddie Vedder's birthday party Tuesday night the 23rd, so I expect I'll be here to regale y'all with degenerate tales of drunkenness and debauchery on the 24th and hopefully recovered by the 25th ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:12:52 PM by miss madge »

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 01:15:01 AM »
I must be a bit slow.......I had to get a few posts in before I realized that this wasn't about the MOST EPIC IN-PERSON MEETUP EVER.

'Still a most excellent idea and I plan to attend.

Peter

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »
I stared early. Happy Solstice! Great to be here with ya'all. Me? I'm here in the early am hours, hanging out with you while listening to my hubby snore. Thanks for the invite.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »
I'm in too!  Though we are going to a friend's house for the holiday dinner around 2 pm.  I'll have to bug out then.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »
Wife and I watched A Christmas Story (looks great on Blu Ray), wrapped presents, and drank a very nice Malbec. I used to be a bit of a humbug... but I can't wait for Christmas Day. :)

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
Yay!  This post makes me happy! 

scrubbyfish

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »
I'm happy for the happiness that a bunch of us will party together!

I had an IRL plan that I really liked, too, and now it's changed quite a bit, which was really disappointing for me. But then I smile, thinking of this parallel opportunity!

Remember, the day of, whoever hits the 25th in their area first and wants to, will start a fresh, shiny, sparkly, tinselly thread called something along the lines of Mustachey Christmas Café or some other super obvious title. (Whoever you turn out to be, please link from here to there.) So, remember to look out for that!

Wait til you see what I got you guys yesterday!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
3 more days! Look for the fresh thread at Ask a Mustachian, which will sooner or later be linked to from here.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »

Remember, the day of, whoever hits the 25th in their area first and wants to, will start a fresh, shiny, sparkly, tinselly thread called something along the lines of Mustachey Christmas Café or some other super obvious title. (Whoever you turn out to be, please link from here to there.) So, remember to look out for that!

Odds are likely to be me around midnight Sydney time, if the Kiwis haven't beaten me to it  =)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
After I posted "three more days", I was out walking and thought, "Ah man... How does this math work?!?! If it's the 22nd here today, that means it's the 23rd in Australia?? So I should have said two more days, even though that will only be the 24th, wha??" I was getting so kerfuddled I started laughing, thinking I'd need to start another "math q" thread here. Ha!

Anyway, SOON... Soon the party starts! The Kiwis or Aussie will know when!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 05:42:14 PM »
Absolutely - lunch time on 23rd here!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 01:54:17 AM »
I will be joining the party!!  My only other plan was to watch Netflix and read books as I recover from today's shoulder surgery.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
Whoa, shoulder surgery! Ouch for you, but glad you will be incapacitated enough to join us ;)     Heal well.

I will be driving for several hours on PST's 24th, but will find you all some time after my my arrival at Point B.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 02:31:59 AM »
It's 10.30pm here on Christmas Eve, but I won't be staying up late enough to start the Christmas Day thread from New Zealand, I'm afraid!  Just finished wrapping the gifts, and need to get my beauty sleep before the kids wake up at the crack of dawn tomorrow :)

Merry Christmas to all, wherever you are and whenever it starts!

Nancy

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »

Same here.  What a great post scrubbyfish!

Thirded!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »
Just sitting in our truck and about to board the venerable Queen of Nanaimo ferry to ______ Island for the holidays. It is amazing how different the Christmas season feels to me this year. Can't wait to immerse myself in it - even the cheesy, materialistic aspects of it all.

Best wishes to all.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas