Author Topic: Water-Efficient Toilet recommendations?  (Read 7540 times)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Water-Efficient Toilet recommendations?
« on: September 12, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
Having searched the forum and come up empty, does anyone have any water-efficient toilet recommendations?

My new-to-me house has water inefficient toilets ranging in age from the 60's-80's that unfortunately work fine (two are ugly beige). Water costs in my area are negligible, though I'd like to be water efficient anyway and 'add value' with smart improvements. Would you:

1. Keep existing toilets. Install water bottle or toilet tank bank displacement kit in the tank, displace ~ 0.8 gpf, and hope flushing solids still works most of the time and doesn't result in multiple flushes. Total cost $0 - $5.

2. Replace toilets with new water-efficient (less than 0.8 gpf), semi-affordable, and nicer looking models, e.g.
a. Niagara Stealth 0.65 gpf weighted average dual flush. Total cost with bowl and seat ~$275
b. Toto Entrada 1.28 gpf and use toilet tank bank resulting in about 0.5 gpf. Total cost ~$225

3. Other?

What would you do to optimize quality, cost, water efficiency, aesthetics, and investment return?
Thanks!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Water-Efficient Toilet recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
What would you do to optimize quality, cost, water efficiency, aesthetics, and investment return?
Thanks!
Pee outside.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:06:10 PM »
I have a Toto toilet. The Promenade. Best. Toilet. Ever. I care more about reliability than I do water usage, but I live in a place where water is plentiful.

IMO you can't go wrong with a Toto.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »
A few years ago I got three $99 Glacier Bay dual-flush ones from Home Depot that worked great. But if yours work fine I wouldn't replace them.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 07:37:13 PM »
Do try your idea of putting stuff in the tank. If it works, you've saved water and bucks. Wait for a big renovation to replace the unit.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »
This is where I go every time I have bought a toilet.  So far it hasn't let me down.  It changes over time, so always good to check back when you buy:

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

The guy is a plumber.  He services them and hears the complaints.  His agenda is to try to find/install low flow toilets THAT WORK.

Edit to add:  I've had a Toto from Terry Love's list.  Other than juvenile giggling over the name: They rock.   I wouldn't use the toilet tank bank thing.  First off: if you want to do that, just put a brick in there.  But most importantly: a well designed toilet is designed for the size of the tank.  If you change that amount and it doesn't perform well, then you have nothing to complain about.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:11:23 PM by Spork »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »
We love our Toto Drakes. They've probably increased the efficiency since our 1.6 gal ones were installed, but dang, they'll flush just about anything.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »
Put a 1/2 gallon milk jug with rocks in it into the tank

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
I used 2 of the $88 Home Depot Glacier Bay toilets recently in remodel projects for clients.  They work very well; use little water but flush better than anything I've seen.  The plastic seat is too flexible, I just change it out for a pressed wood version which is more substantial.

In the past I've also used Kohler with mixed success.  The toilets are nice but don't seem to flush as well.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »
Thank you for the helpful replies and link to the Terry Love site (very helpful). I also had Toto in my last place but could get them much cheaper at $150 from a local plumbing supply place; not so lucky in my new area. Nice to learn of other affordable recommendations like the $88 Glacier Bay 1.28 gpf.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:15:50 AM by step-in-time »

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »
Thanks for the information. Both the Toto Entrada and the Glacier Bay have rebates here in California up to $100. Great way to upgrade and save on the water bill. Happy for this thread!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »
I'm all for trying to save, but when we had our new bathroom addition built, we decided we weren't going to scrimp on the toilet. It's something that is used frequently and can (literally) be a total crap-fest if it malfunctions or doesn't flush right. Three years later, I still get so happy about our Toto. Who knew a toilet could bring so much happiness?

I know they are ridiculous and anti-Mustachian, but some day I want a Japanese toilet with a bidet. Someone even suggested putting a plug near the toilet so that, if we decide one day to upgrade, it would be easy. I sort of regret not doing that, although it probably won't be that hard to put in.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
On the advice of my sister who cheaped out on her renovation's water efficient toilets, we went with a Toto dual flush.  We have not had an issue, and we are very happy with it.  It lets us be efficient where reasonable, and has the required efficacy otherwise.

(We stayed at my sister's place for a year when they were out of the country, and we weren't going to live with that kind of ongoing uncertainty with each flush.)

claymartinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
I have a Toto toilet. The Promenade. Best. Toilet. Ever. I care more about reliability than I do water usage, but I live in a place where water is plentiful.

IMO you can't go wrong with a Toto.

I was browsing for a good water-saving toilet last two days ago and I found this forum which makes me want to consider TOTO toilet for the replacement of my old one. How was yours now? Is it true that I can really save on my water bill if I replace mine with this? I've read a review about TOTO toilet here (https://www.jenreviews.com/best-toilet) and I'm wondering if you guys agree that it is the most cost-efficient toilet? Do you have the same thoughts? Hoping for a reply from you guys. I'm about to purchase the replacement this weekend.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
I didn't do a full cost benefit analysis on cost to replace vs. water costs. I assume how much you save on your water bill will depend on where you live and how many people are using the toilet.

My opinion is unchanged from 2 years ago.  Our TOTO toilet is reliable and we don't worry about it clogging. That is a huge benefit for us. We got a dual flush so we can choose how much water is needed for different scenarios.

claymartinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 01:03:48 AM »
Thank you for taking time to respond on my inquiry. We're only four using the toilet and based on the forums I've been in, people literally save on water-saving toilets that's why I'd like to make sure it's really the best bet. Thanks again! Will be buying my TOTO toilet by weekend!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 04:52:06 AM »
Oh, wow, funny to see this thread revived. I went with the Toto Entrada two years ago. It's a great toilet. My only negative is the Toto soft-close seat (it squeaks). The cheap Lowes version works much better.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »
From a purely economic perspective replacing a old toilet with one that uses less water is akin to replacing a conventional hot water heater with a tankless. You will never come out ahead, money wise. Now if you want a new toilet because it looks better, is taller (something old people like), etc then those are other considerations.

Also, crap only flows down hill and more water helps it flow better...

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »
To reduce the growth of mold in your tank please make sure anything you put in there is sterile as can be.  If you take a brick from your garden for instance you'll have growth in a few months.  Mold loves that stagnant tank.  Once it starts, can never get it out again.

claymartinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
Thank you for your replies. It's much appreciated. About to buy a new one later this afternoon.

Cashonda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 01:58:54 PM »
Just another vote for Toto! I bought two for my old house and waited until they went on sale to get a great price. Actually got one free! I lost the toilets in a divorce and honestly it still annoys me. I was so happy with my purchase haha. And installed them myself and oh no now I’ve starting crying 😢 hehe. Great toilets.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
I have a 2005 Toto toilet and I like it a lot.  BUT:
1) A plastic arm on the inside of the flush handle broke in 2013, the replacement was about $60.   We used polymorph plastic to fix it fine.
2)  I had to replace the flapper (big red ball) this year (2017).  It was $18 plus tax!!!!.   
3)  DD is able to clog it.  It's much better than most other toilets, she clogged a cheap costco one so badly I ended up having to replace the whole toilet... but still.

Toto does have terrific glazing quality, even after 12 years..

The toilet I recommend is American Standard Cadet 3 Series.
DD does not clog this toilet.   Costs a lot less.  Amazing flusher, easy to install.  Affordable parts.

MJseast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »
I also have an American Standard, dual-flush. It's just a good as the Toto we had at our previous house, but was cheaper and easier to clean. Check to see if your city will give you a rebate for upgrading to a water-saving one - we got $100 for upgrading!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
I installed a dual-flush kit on my $90 Mayfield toilet ($0 after city rebate). It worked great before and works great now.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »
Six months ago I installed a cheap toilet from a box store and have had nothing but problems from day 1.  We have figured out how to jiggle the handle to make it not leak water from the tank into the bowl.  Problem with returning the toilet to box store is (1) It is a PITA to take a toilet out and put a new one in (2) Toilet is big bulky PITA to return (3) I figured out the jiggle the handle thing so why bother...

TL;DR I wish I had come across a reliable source that convinced me to pay $$$'s for a toilet that worked well.  Would be glad to have shelled out $400 for a decent toilet had I known this would be the outcome of a $100 toilet. 

arob54600

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
We live in an older home, but everything on the inside has been rehabbed beautifully. The biggest mistake they made was installing Eco friendly, water efficient toilets. Why? There is not enough water in the bowl to flush sewage out of the house to the main sewer line.

How do I know this? Last weekends, unexpected rain pushed POOP that was sitting in the lateral line right in to our basement. The roto-rooter guy we called (after us trudging in shit trying to fix it ourselves) told me eco friendly toilets are not his friend. He told us it would be best if we replaced all three toilets with bigger tank ones, but at the least.. double flush EVERYTIME.
just my two cents on finding out something the hard way.

BTW I have a fixed water bill, I don't pay by the gallon, I pay per the bathroom, so I have nothing to loose having a bigger tank.

claymartinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 06:47:05 AM »
Thanks everyone! My Toto Drake II was already installed. My family and I are more comfortable with it unlike on our old toilet. We love it!