Author Topic: Watch sports without cable  (Read 21672 times)

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
Re: Watch sports without cable
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »
I like sports.  But I still cut the cord.  I would buy the packages for my local baseball and hockey teams if those leagues wanted my money.  But,  apparently they don't.  That is on them, not me.  I still go to a bunch of baseball games b/c I split season tickets with friends and resell my extra tickets.  For hockey, I no longer attend.

I will glance up at the games if I am out playing poker.

I have found I do not really miss anything from my life by not seeing them anymore.

Again, the loss is on the leagues.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »
I like sports.  But I still cut the cord.  I would buy the packages for my local baseball and hockey teams if those leagues wanted my money.  But,  apparently they don't.  That is on them, not me.  I still go to a bunch of baseball games b/c I split season tickets with friends and resell my extra tickets.  For hockey, I no longer attend.

I will glance up at the games if I am out playing poker.

I have found I do not really miss anything from my life by not seeing them anymore.

Again, the loss is on the leagues.

I would say they aren't losing anything. You still go to games. The teams get huge revenue from the regional sports networks. To cut out the RSNs, they'd have to charge the consumer directly substantially higher figures to maintain the revenue stream which is subsidized by a lot of cable subscribers who don't care about sports.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2016, 09:49:15 AM »
I don't like watching sports myself, but geez! I mean the thread is asking for advice about how to watch sports without cable and hopefully keep costs down, not a moralizing sermon about the evil of football and watching sports in general. It would be like me going on the Ptel thread and sermonizing how anyone who spends more than $5 a month on a phone bill needs to overcome their phone vice for the sake of the greater good. To each their own man.

Too bad your argument has such a huge hole in it. At least mobile phone service can be used as a tool, and why do you honestly think I advise everyone to only use what they need to begin with?

Sports has no such status.

Also, I'm not the one who brought up illegal streaming sites as a viable method of saving money on getting the fix. This financial independence community is supposed to have a backbone of making ethical choices and striving to make the world a better place, not to let it burn for the sake of our own greed... but that message has been quite lost, and someone needs to remind both the noobs and the old timers of it every once in a while.

Funny, I didn't see any suggestion from IP about getting a reasonable fill. I only saw postings that anyone wanting to save money should just not watch sports.

Which, if you bothered to actually read the entire thread and consider the context, resulted from a discussion about if one is going to pay for the service, not using gray market providers to get their fix and Mandalay's subsequent attempts to justify doing so anyway.

I think I.P. Daley has every right to explain why he recommends what he does, especially as people attack his suggestions!

Thank you.

The ptel point wasn't an argument. It was an analogy. Imperfect? Yes. But the two situations also share similarities in terms of the money spent and the different attitudes people may have regarding just how much people really need to consume.

I understood the context of your original response regarding the use of sources that are legally and ethically dubious. I had no problem with that. Unfortunately it devolved into a heavy handed condemnation of watching ANY sports at all, which seemed inappropriate in a thread for sports enthusiasts sharing ideas about how to minimize the cost of their preferred entertainment. Unless your ascribe to an monastic lifestyle devoid of ANY entertainment, your advice is based on your own personal entertainment preferences which are obviously at odds with the main folks contributing to this thread. And that's ignoring the fact that some people get more than entertainment value from watching sports. They also derive social benefits from watching it with friends and family. I don't like to watch sports myself, but even I can recognize that these are social events and I miss out on something when I don't participate in the viewing.

Anyway, that's all I really have to add. I don't want to derail the main purpose of the thread any longer.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »
And that's ignoring the fact that some people get more than entertainment value from watching sports. They also derive social benefits from watching it with friends and family.

Which is why I didn't just condemn as you state, but even offered an alternative even at this end of the discussion.

Everyone in this thread: you want to save money on sports? Stop watching, and stop spending money on a morally bankrupt institution. Try spending time and playing with your friends and family instead.

Emphasis added.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
And that's ignoring the fact that some people get more than entertainment value from watching sports. They also derive social benefits from watching it with friends and family.

Which is why I didn't just condemn as you state, but even offered an alternative even at this end of the discussion.

Everyone in this thread: you want to save money on sports? Stop watching, and stop spending money on a morally bankrupt institution. Try spending time and playing with your friends and family instead.

Emphasis added.

Arrgh. You pulled me back in ;)

Whatever, call me, crazy but I can't see how what you write is anything other than "I hate watching sports and you should be like me" advice, which is kind of nonsensical advice for people who aren't like you and who do like watching sports and will in all likelihood continue watching sports.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »
To be clear, I never intended to suggest that others shouldn't watch sports. I watch a lot of sports, I've noticed it takes up a lot of time and I question the value it adds to *MY* own life. Anyone else is obviously free to do as they wish with their time. I'd rather play various sports than watch them, even if it costs more $$ for what ends up being far less of a time commitment.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »
Whatever, call me, crazy but I can't see how what you write is anything other than "I hate watching sports and you should be like me" advice, which is kind of nonsensical advice for people who aren't like you and who do like watching sports and will in all likelihood continue watching sports.

DramaMan indeed :) There are tons of threads where people say "I love <insert thing> so I can justify spendypants mcBedPan, right?!" and lots of MMM people say "well, hold on a minute, we all enjoy a little <insert thing> but you have to make some tough decisions." That's very different from saying "I hate it, you should hate it, too!" I love driving exotic cars, and no one has told me to hate it! But they'll certainly tell me that to work an extra 20 years so I can drive a fancy car to my doldrums office job... is stupid! Likewise, here we're saying "if you're succumbing to massive monthly (the worst) cable bills so you can watch ALL THE SPORTS, consider whether or not it's a healthy outlet for entertainment, or a weakness that's grown to excess." So again, when the conversation descends into "gray area" morals or justifications, it becomes time to bring out a little philosophy and say "hey... maybe the problem isn't how to get Everything I Want at a lower cost, maybe you need to adjust what you want a little. maybe you don't need to see 21 sports games a week. Maybe 7 of your favorite sport's broadcasts will scratch your itch and save you a few thousand dollars in the long run."

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »

Absolutely, and they're equally hypocrites for it. You'll note the bulk of my advice in the guide regarding saving money on entertainment is to consume less, and I couch it a heavily anti-TV message. Probably why it's the most ignored section of the guide. Even the majority of people in these forums are still non-negotiable slavish consumers for some of the most worthless BS around. They'll cut to the bone food budgets, medical care, housing... but G-d forbid they give up their bread and circuses. Football? Who gives a shit about the long term health of these horrendously abused young men! I GOTTA PAY FOR CABLE AND WATCH ALL THE GAMES CAUSE YEAH! FOOTBALL!

Almost typed a long response to this, but I'll just shrug my shoulders and walk away. College football is fucking awesome and worth all $91.00/month in cable every year for the rest of my life. If you think differently, great, but to couch it as oversimplistically and incorrectly as you have is incredibly naive.

Go Bucks. Beat Michigan.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »

Absolutely, and they're equally hypocrites for it. You'll note the bulk of my advice in the guide regarding saving money on entertainment is to consume less, and I couch it a heavily anti-TV message. Probably why it's the most ignored section of the guide. Even the majority of people in these forums are still non-negotiable slavish consumers for some of the most worthless BS around. They'll cut to the bone food budgets, medical care, housing... but G-d forbid they give up their bread and circuses. Football? Who gives a shit about the long term health of these horrendously abused young men! I GOTTA PAY FOR CABLE AND WATCH ALL THE GAMES CAUSE YEAH! FOOTBALL!

Almost typed a long response to this, but I'll just shrug my shoulders and walk away. College football is fucking awesome and worth all $91.00/month in cable every year for the rest of my life. If you think differently, great, but to couch it as oversimplistically and incorrectly as you have is incredibly naive.

Go Bucks. Beat Michigan.

everything even sports can be obtained with less money or even free.  did you read MMM's latest article.  If you love something so much then optimize it.  This isnt about cutting out things that you love but at 91 a month for an entire year to watch a sport only played for 4-5 months of that is far from optimized.  there are many ways to optimize cable and still watch it.  i cut the cord i still watch USA FX ESPN etc.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »
Plus, NBC/USA usually show a Premier League game or two each weekend, and that is my true love.

I have absolutely no idea why the Premier League doesn't offer an online package in the U.S.  I know NBC Sports Network Extra shows the games, but cable is required.  If it did something like MLB TV it would be a license to print money. 

I don't condemn anyone for his/her choice of time waster.  Even the most pious Mustachian has one, and if he/she says otherwise it's a lie.  :D  Considering that at one time I had the second-highest tier for DirecTV so I could get NHL Network and NBC Sports Network AND NFL Sunday Ticket AND MLB TV, which altogether cost about $150 a month, ten bucks a month for Hockeystreams, the only sport for which I pay, is positively frugal. 

/let's go Pens!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
I occassionally borrow a password to watch some football. I am a cord-cutter and have a Roku, but for some reason NBC just doesn't work on my TV. For some reason this also prohibited me from streaming on NBC's site for Sunday Night Football. So instead I just used a friend's password.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »

Go Bucks. Beat Michigan.

everything even sports can be obtained with less money or even free.  did you read MMM's latest article.  If you love something so much then optimize it.  This isnt about cutting out things that you love but at 91 a month for an entire year to watch a sport only played for 4-5 months of that is far from optimized.  there are many ways to optimize cable and still watch it.  i cut the cord i still watch USA FX ESPN etc.

How do you get USA and FX without free-loading off soemone else's paid subscription?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »

Go Bucks. Beat Michigan.
I'm glad you like college footbal enough to work an extra few years just to pay the cable bill. I'm even more glad that I don't.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
I like good coffee, but I don't like paying so much for good beans, a good grinder, and a good coffee-maker. However, it is easy to steal, so I steal it. Is there another way to get it cheaply?

Answers
--Stealing is wrong.
--OK, that's true. Is there a cheaper way to get my coffee without stealing?
-- Drinking coffee is wrong. By drinking coffee, you are making the world a worse place. Coffee cartels terrorize the innocent and suck the blood of society. For god's sake, get off the addiction to dangerous, corrupting drugs and be coffee-free FOR THE CHILDRUN.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:47 PM »

Go Bucks. Beat Michigan.
I'm glad you like college footbal enough to work an extra few years just to pay the cable bill. I'm even more glad that I don't.

This thread has gone from helpful to just shit.
If anyone wants to refer to my original post or the discussions that directly stemmed from the original question, please lend your thoughts.
If anyone wants to talk about how they judge others for spending according to their values or wants to convince others why they should change their priorities, please start a new thread.

Mods can decide if this thread has reached a lock-worthy point.

edit: This is a good reminder http://affordanything.com/2012/02/20/you-can-afford-anything-but-not-everything/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:20:31 PM by JZinCO »

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
To go back to the original question, I don't think that a DVR would be required as a subscription to Sling should also give you access to the app's /websites that have the shows on-demand. I don't even know that Sling is compatible with a DVR, but it certainly could be.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
Sadly Sling is not recordable and only ESPN allows you to use the app.

To get back to the OP's question, yes you can watch some sports without cable.  Football on Sunday and some Thursday nights, Baseball on the weekend, Golf on the weekend, Nascar for a good amount of the season and other sports, all* available with an antenna.  As others mentioned, you can get a subscription for Baseball, Hockey, Basketball and Soccer if you're a really big fan of those sports.

*Depending where you live and what is available OTA.  Head over to either TVFool or antennaweb and plug in your address to see what you can get and what kind of antenna you'd need.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »

Can you answer the previous question asking if one can view more than one stream on Sling or do you need a subscription for each device?

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
Sling is one stream only.  Each person would need their own account if they wanted to use the service at the same time.

mrmiyagi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2016, 04:50:44 PM »

Morally bankrupt? If you're talking about football, given the health concerns, sure. Not sure how you get to that sweeping generalization for all sports. I guess it's a shame the way they take advantage of those professional golfers. Made them travel out to San Diego for a tournament this week... brutal.

To the OP - don't let sports stop you from cutting the cord. I have an antenna + a friend's cable login for WatchESPN. The antenna will get you almost all NFL games, quite a bit of major college football and basketball games, baseball playoffs, occasional English Premier League games, all major golf tournaments. That's a lot. I mostly just use the cable login to watch my favorite college basketball team.

Honestly, now that I don't have cable I find myself watching fewer games. I just don't care as much. If I really want to watch something I can almost always get it though. I say you try cutting the cord and see how you like it. I bet you'll miss it less than you think.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »

Go Bucks. Beat Michigan.
Would work an extra ten years. I'll also add that I plan to spend $5k per year for traveling and attending college football games in retirement.

OP: I'll respond to your question tomorrow morning.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2016, 05:26:09 PM »

I think it may be possible to strip out the hdmi drm on the sling device so that a recorder could record from the unprotected hdmi signal.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2016, 05:30:54 PM »

I think it may be possible to strip out the hdmi drm on the sling device so that a recorder could record from the unprotected hdmi signal.

There is no device. Sling TV is a web streaming subscription.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2016, 06:22:04 PM »

Yes, and Sling TV can be streamed using a chromecast, Roku and other devices that output a hdmi signal from which the drm can be stripped.

https://www.sling.com/devices

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2016, 06:44:39 PM »

Yes, and Sling TV can be streamed using a chromecast, Roku and other devices that output a hdmi signal from which the drm can be stripped.

Would there be an easy way to automate / schedule the recording when you are away though? And to change the channels?  My understanding was that Sling had to be manually operated, though admittedly I've never used it myself.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »

Would there be an easy way to automate / schedule the recording when you are away though? And to change the channels?  My understanding was that Sling had to be manually operated, though admittedly I've never used it myself.

Some recorders are able to be programmed to send IR signals to devices from which they are recording. Theoretically it should be possible to program the recorder to turn on the device on which sling tv operates and start the streaming. The devil obviously is in the details. Someone would likely need to be very technical minded to pull it off. Of course they would also need to be fairly technical minded to bypass the hdmi drm as well. The obstacles are such that for the average non-technical person Sling TV is effectively unrecordable. But for a techie who really wants to record, it should be possible.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
Not sure the legality of it all but I use batmanstream  (if you use it, make sure you use ublock origin)

Quality is meh, but I don't care.  Only sport I follow these days is Tennis (almost never televised in Canada anyway) and they got tons of matches which is fantastic... even Challenger circuit stuff.

Yes I cut cable years back... haven't had it for over 15yrs now.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »
Not sure the legality of it all but I use batmanstream  (if you use it, make sure you use ublock origin)

Quality is meh, but I don't care.  Only sport I follow these days is Tennis (almost never televised in Canada anyway) and they got tons of matches which is fantastic... even Challenger circuit stuff.

Pretty sure all the grand slams are on TV in Canada.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2016, 07:51:58 PM »
I'm curious how many folks who have cut the cord can receive a decent quality and quantity of channels via antenna or have even tried. I have an antenna in my attic and get decent reception for all the major broadcasters in the U.S., plus a number of independent stations. Combined with my homebrew mythtv recorder, netflix and a good public library, I have way more stuff to watch than I have time for. Fortunately, I'm not into sports so not having espn is no big deal.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »
They do but coverage is generally terrible compared to the Euro channels.

I cannot stand 'loud' players (Sharapova, Azarenka, etc) and they always seem to put their coverage matches on.  I also like to watch up-and-comers play and coverage sucks on them as well (Dimitrov, Tomic, Coric, Chung, Zerev, etc).  So online streams it is.

Pretty sure all the grand slams are on TV in Canada.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2016, 05:41:36 AM »
I'm curious how many folks who have cut the cord can receive a decent quality and quantity of channels via antenna or have even tried. I have an antenna in my attic and get decent reception for all the major broadcasters in the U.S., plus a number of independent stations.

The answer is...it depends.  Before the switch to digital, you could easily put up an antenna and with a few tweaks get some channels, no matter if there were building, trees, etc. in the way.  Now with digital, if you have those kinds of obstacles in your LOS (line of sight) there's a good chance you might not pick up much.  Even with an antenna mounted outside as high as I am allowed, I can't pick up a couple of major ones reliably.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »
I'm curious how many folks who have cut the cord can receive a decent quality and quantity of channels via antenna or have even tried. I have an antenna in my attic and get decent reception for all the major broadcasters in the U.S., plus a number of independent stations. Combined with my homebrew mythtv recorder, netflix and a good public library, I have way more stuff to watch than I have time for. Fortunately, I'm not into sports so not having espn is no big deal.

All of Richmond's local network affiliates broadcast in HD, but we get some strange channels--MeTV, which is like TV Land except the shows are pretty old--the other day I caught Mr. Mandalay watching "The Rifleman" and it runs stuff like "Twilight Zone" marathons.  There's also a movie channel, don't know the name but it shows uncut movies.  MyTV is HD, the movie channel isn't.  We also get a fuzzy Spanish station and a slightly less fuzzy Christian station.  On the rare occasion I want non-sports boob tube there's usually something to watch.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »
Antenna reception is a disaster for us apartment dwellers, especially on the lower floors.

The channels we get depend heavily on the temperature outside, the time of day, the number of leaves on the trees, and the wind. It's so unreliable it's comical.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »

It really depends on where you live. In a house in Arizona I get all the major stations and like 35-40 channels I had no idea existed. In an apartment in San Diego, I got CBS and maybe a handful of other stations. Reception was terrible.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2016, 04:31:08 PM »
Generally anntennas that got good analog reception get perfect ditital reception. Unfortunately with ditital poor signal is no better than no signal, so those on the fringes of analog reception did not benefit from the ditital transition. For those who do get good reception, the ditital transition has been a boon - nearly every station added one or more subchannels offering alternate programing. Most fill these subchannels with cheap content, often old TV and movie classics. Generally the main channel is broadcast in HD (sometimes better HD than the pay TV providers provide) and any subchannels are in SD.

The free OTA TV offering are not likely to expand beyond what is currently available. Mobile data provides want more bandwidth, so the FCC is in the process of repacking TV spectrum which could cause new interferrence problems for recievers near the fringe and may even provide financial incentives for some broadcasters to shutdown. I hear about it from people in the theater industry worried about bandwidth for their wireless microphones (most currently operate in unused TV bandwidth).