Author Topic: Wasp nest inside hinge of car door- removal tips?  (Read 35159 times)

Peach Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Wasp nest inside hinge of car door- removal tips?
« on: August 05, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »
I'm trying to psyche myself up to take out a wasp nest I discovered today. Planning my attack at dusk. The fun part is, this thing is inside the hinge of the car door. I have wasp spray. I'm planning on dressing in long pants/ shirt and gloves, with a ballcap at the ready for imminent swatting. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty terrified, but this is my problem and I need to take care of it. (A friend's coming over to stay inside and call 911 if need be. I don't think I'm allergic. Ugh.)

The door only opens so wide, so from the angle I'll have to be at, I'll need to be closer than 5ft to get a good spray stream on the thing. Again, pretty terrified. Hoping this doesn't end horribly. The door's sitting open so they'll chill out and hopefully go into the nest and be calm at dusk. Plan of attack is to spray until I see them come out/start to fly and RUN down the street. Or into the house. Then come back and check it out in 5-10mins and re-spray. Maybe a third time for good measure. Then remove it, bag it, and throw it away. I hope I'm not being overly optimistic, but we'll see what happens.

Does anyone have any advice?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Wasp nest inside hinge of car door- removal tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:47:04 PM »
Yeah. It's really not a big deal, unless the nest is massive, which it wouldn't be in the hinge of your car door.

Spray that shit, leave, come back, spray again, leave, come back, knock it off the hinge onto the ground with a stick or something, repeat as necessary. Jeans and a hoodie, tucked in, should be more than enough.

There are more fun methods but since it's your car, we don't want to play with things like flame.

Really though, it's just a small nest. No big deal. I've (moderately stupidly) done bigger ones with a t-shirt and jeans. So you might get stung... it might ache a little for a day. You're way bigger than they are.

Peach Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »
I've never heard anyone be as unreserved about hornets as you, gimp. :)  It makes me feel better. Your spray and come back a few times, then knock off with a stick was what I was thinking too. I have a container I plan to throw it in and put the lid on before I throw it away. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »
I would do it as late at night or early in the morning as possible--to make sure they are REALLY sleepy and won't be able to fly around.

I just discovered a couple of bee nests under the eaves of my porch.  I have to get up early (4:15) tomorrow anyway, so I will head outside and knock the nests off then.  They will be too drowsy and cold to be mad.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »
No worries.   I get those suckas all the time.  After you knock it off (per gimps excellent instructions), stomp on it.  I would wear shoes.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »
I would wear shoes.

Do I really need to quote you MMM's paragraph on voluntary discomfort? Come on. Shoes? Next it'll be SUV this and restaurant that.

I kid, I kid. Stomping is an excellent idea and shoes are an even better idea. I would even go as far as to recommend shoes that are not flip-flops.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »
I would wear shoes.

Do I really need to quote you MMM's paragraph on voluntary discomfort? Come on. Shoes? Next it'll be SUV this and restaurant that.

I kid, I kid. Stomping is an excellent idea and shoes are an even better idea. I would even go as far as to recommend shoes that are not flip-flops.

Flip flops are not shoes.  Flip flops are marketing tools for podiatrists.   

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
Flip flops are not shoes.  Flip flops are marketing tools for podiatrists.   

Interesting quote. Yesterday on my first visit to my physical therapist for neck/shoulder pain, my therapist asked about activities I did on a weekly basis. When I told him how much time I spent on my bikes, his comment--"Road bikes were invented by a committee of chiropractors and physical therapists."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
That wasp nest poison is great, I don't think you'll have any trouble at all. I've had to spray two large nests before (one was at least a foot tall), and that sh*t killed them all almost instantly. Aim that stuff right at the nest, and just douse it. Any wasps that manage to crawl out will likely be dead in a matter of seconds. Just keep spraying unless they really start to fly out or are swarming (very unlikely, I'd bet). So don't worry, your plan sounds good and I'll bet very few will even make an appearance.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »
The internet demands updates.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty terrified, but this is my problem and I need to take care of it. (A friend's coming over to stay inside and call 911 if need be. I don't think I'm allergic. Ugh.)

Geez. How big is this thing?

I usually just spray the nest with RAID and run away. The running away part is totally unneccesary - I've never had wasps chase after me - they pretty much just die immediately. But I usually deal with small nests - nothing bigger than a couple of inches across. If you're talking about something as big as your head, I don't think I'd have the courage.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
Christ, how did this even happen? Kill it with fire and claim it on your insurance.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
Seems like as good a reason as any to switch to cycling!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »
I would wear shoes.

::laughing very, very hard:: Thanks for that :)

Following this thread because landlady and I are pondering removal of wasps...I've taken care of externally hanging nests before, but currently have heaps of wasps building inside a thin balcony floor (by my window, above kid play area, along our exit path). Smart, sneaky buggers. Right now they're fine; I'm concerned about an aggressive phase later in the season. I know about nighttime, etc, but watching here for tips specific to tricky spaces such as OP is dealing with.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »
IMHO wasps are relatively housebroken, because they tend to build their nests under the eaves where they can be squirted,swatted, and stomped with impunity.

Yellow jackets, on the other hand, are nasty, satanic little beasties who build their nests in the ground, compost pile, or under the cover of my hot tub, where you don't see them until you have completely pissed them off.

Bastards.

Peach Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
My biggest of apologies to all for not updating sooner. You all are hilarious. Definitely wore real shoes :) 

I'm happy to report that it went off without a hitch and pretty anti-climatically. Nothing flew out and no stings. Whew. I felt really silly about my worrying afterwards, but with that being my first wasp killing spree, I didn't know what to expect (especially since my hand was probably only 2-3ft from the thing). Plus my co-worker has told many a horror story which got me worked up. I felt like super woman for taking care of it. Woman power! haha   Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement.

It was a small nest- maybe 1/3 of a tennis ball? So not super huge, not sure how a big one would go down.

Scrubbyfish- since mine went so well, I'd advise you do it at sunset, like me, but make sure there's light still so you can see and run if needed. They seemed to be in the nest and calm by then. I soaked it three times before I had the guts to knock it off with a stick, then sprayed it once more for good measure before I bagged it (with gloved hands.)  I took gimp's advice and wore a tucked in hoodie I sinched (sp?) up around my head. Turned out to be unnecessary, but if they would have flown at me I would have been grateful to be protected. Don't stand right under the nest when you spray it. The chemicals will be dripping down and you don't want the nest falling on you for any reason. Good luck!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
Nice work, Peach Fuzz!  Glad it worked out and that no 911 calls needed to be made!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
Mustachian problem #45 . . . not using your car often enough to prevent its reverting back to nature?

Peach Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
Thanks! I was happy 911 wasn't necessary too. haha

I wish... this is an extra car that has been sitting that I've really needed to do something with. (But it's now at the shop and going to be gotten rid of soon one way or the other, so yay for making progress right?)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
[T]his is an extra car that has been sitting that I've really needed to do something with.

Clearly the alien invaders were sent to motivate you. Great start, PF!

Dragoncar, this may have been your funniest post ever. LMAO!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 11:39:42 PM »
Scrubbyfish- since mine went so well, I'd advise you do it at sunset, like me, but make sure there's light still so you can see and run if needed. They seemed to be in the nest and calm by then. I soaked it three times before I had the guts to knock it off with a stick, then sprayed it once more for good measure before I bagged it (with gloved hands.)  I took gimp's advice and wore a tucked in hoodie I sinched (sp?) up around my head. Turned out to be unnecessary, but if they would have flown at me I would have been grateful to be protected. Don't stand right under the nest when you spray it. The chemicals will be dripping down and you don't want the nest falling on you for any reason. Good luck!

Thanks, Peach Fuzz!!

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
For future reference, once you knock down the nest the hive will find a new home. So even if you're out of poison, or just don't want to use it, knock it down and run. After about five minutes go back and stomp on the nest. All the rest is just too much energy, and needless. :)

Stache In Training

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »
search around in your area for free be or wasp removel.  They'll come out and remove it for you, and then use the venom to make anti-venom for people who are allergic to stings.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 01:42:44 AM »
search around in your area for free be or wasp removel.  They'll come out and remove it for you, and then use the venom to make anti-venom for people who are allergic to stings.

I've never heard of that. I'd be interesting in sponsoring groups like that when I get back to the States. My dad's allergic to stings, so the anti-venom is really important to me in that regard. I'd hate to hear of anyone dying from being stung, which does happen. Why have I never heard of this??