Author Topic: Warm Windows for winter  (Read 3569 times)

WootWoot

• Bristles
Warm Windows for winter
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
I've been reading through some of Mr. Money Mustache's old blog posts, and came across one about heating bills. In the comments below, someone mentioned a product from the Warm Company. I'm familiar with their quilt batting because I've used some of it in small art quilt products. They have something called "Warm Windows," complete with downloadable instructions. They are shades/curtains to keep your home better insulated.

Other than the OP on those comments  (who might be reading this), has anyone else tried them? If so, have they made a difference? Did you do the sew or no-sew option?

Thanks!

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
Re: Warm Windows for winter
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:32:38 PM »
I'm not familiar with that product but for several years my friend would hand heavy blankets or quilts over her large drafty windows in the winter.  It made a big difference inside her house.  The down side was that her house was dark most of the time.  I would have had to take them down during the day because I need sunlight in the winter.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
Are your windows leaky? If so I'd recommend the shrink wrap plastic stuff. You put double sticky tape around the trim, put the plastic on and then shrink it with a hair dryer. If you do it well you can not even tell it's there.  Stopping any drafts that way will likely do more for you than any insulation.  I have tried heavier curtains (although not that brand).... but sealing leaks with plastic was always more effective.

Something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-62-in-x-84-in-Clear-Plastic-Indoor-Window-Kit-2120-EP/100353672?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25H-Hardware%7c&gclid=CK7Go-KY6M8CFQRZhgodLv8AYQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:24:09 PM »
Decades ago, I used the shrink wrap window coverings.  They helped A LOT.  But the tape did leave a residue.  The woodwork wasn't what I would consider to be well finished which might have made a difference (it needed more sanding to be smoother and several more coats of polyurethane).  I did have problems with moisture on the inside of the window pane which annoyed me.

I have thermal curtains from Amazon in my current apartment's living room.  Those four huge windows in an old Victorian bump out which is under-insulated really used to be freezing.  The curtains make a big difference and any time I forget how much so, I just pull one aside at night and feel how much colder a plain window is in Winter.  Been thinking of getting more such curtains for other rooms, especially the for windows in the bedroom.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 01:00:27 PM »
I think we're going to do a combo of shrink wrap covering and this foil-type stuff (sorry, DH knows what it is but I don't!) that we've used before. We discussed Warm Windows and he said b/c the windows are so old and leaky, the WW solution would most likely end up covered in mold.

We have a window in our spare room that has a blanket covering it and the blanket is moldy. :(

The best solution would be replacement windows, but we're renters.

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »
We used the plastic shrink wrapping last year and plan to use it again this year in our new rental. Last year, there was a bit of residue from the tape and in places the paint was pulled up as we removed it. The residue is easily removed with goo-gone and we painted over the ripped up spots. We got back our full deposit so our landlord was fine with our repairs.

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »
I have heard that bubble wrap does a decent job of blocking the cool air from windows.  A light mist of water on the window and stick it on.  Still lets light through, but blocks some of the cold.  Wont help much if window seals are drafty, but an okay temporary solution to try and warm things up.  We are going to try it with our basement windows this year.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 01:49:36 PM »
Look in to caulking any cracks/gaps around the windows. I recently did this and am amazed at how such a minor thing made such a difference with drafts in the house.

The shrink plastic works well, but is not very sightly and the tape can pull up some of the paint around the sills.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 01:51:51 PM »
Look in to caulking any cracks/gaps around the windows. I recently did this and am amazed at how such a minor thing made such a difference with drafts in the house.

The shrink plastic works well, but is not very sightly and the tape can pull up some of the paint around the sills.

+1
Gets more unsightly if your cats poke holes in it and you patch it with packing tape.  We applied the film to our older windows each year.  I found heating up the tape with the hair dryer when removing help reduce the paint damage. This past summer we got the remaining windows and doors replaced so I don't think we will bother with the plastic.  I will continue to draw the drapes at night.  You do have to monitor the moisture/condensation.  We had chunks of ice forming on the patio slider with the curtains closed and I hadn't realized that there was a mold problem developing.