Author Topic: Want to move late June when to put house on market  (Read 5159 times)

Shropskr

• Stubble
Want to move late June when to put house on market
« on: February 21, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
I've never sold a house this is our first.  It is fully paid for.  We will be moving to the Portland area probably late June early July.  When the kids finish the school year.  When should we be looking to put the house on the market?  House is in Seattle.

Other than de clutter, depersonalize, are there tips to help it sell easier?
Should I get a appraisalor are the comps the realestate  agents give sufficient?

Please no comments about don't sell its paid for etcetera.  Decision is made.

sd85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Want to move late June when to put house on market
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »
I think it depends on how quickly houses are selling in your area and how competitively you price it. We moved a few years ago and I put our house on the market about 2 weeks before we moved out. We accepted an offer two days after moving out.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
Put it on the market now with a longer possession date.  If it sells quickly, they can give you more money to move earlier if they need it.  You can always rent in your new location so I say to sell first, get offer, then start to look.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »
I would say sooner rather than later unless your neighborhood is white hot or you plan to price under market value. Or your house is truly awesome, etc.

If you don't already have a realtor picked out (assuming you aren't FSBO), they can also offer guidance as well, and a seller who wants to sell quickly should produce a motivated selling agent.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
We have moved 6 times.  Our approach last 3 times was:  ~1 month before you list the house for sale,  start packing away everything you don't need for daily living and move it to a storage locker.  Its any easy way to de-clutter your possessions for moving and make your house look much more clean/open/spacious to buyers.  I found that the act of hauling things to a storage locker really makes me think about how much something is worth to me.  Then when you are ready to move,  the movers can pickup from 2 locations.  We've never had any extra charge to do this, and I found it well worth the 1-2 months storage fee.  Our houses have always sold within 1-2 weeks of listing.  Good luck.

OnTheMove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »
Seattle real estate is extremely hot right now and I don't see the trend changing anytime soon. I would recommend going to Redfin and looking at the comps in your area. In general, houses that are in a good location and in reasonable shape are pending within a week and selling for more than asking. Really low inventory is continuing to push prices up and create a really competitive environment. I would lean towards holding out until late March or April because it will likely sell in a weekend. Good luck.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
A good realtor should be able to help you with the answer to this as well as help you put a rent-back clause in the contract.