Author Topic: Want to Earn a Side Income--What's the Best Weekend Only Job?  (Read 7488 times)

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
Want to Earn a Side Income--What's the Best Weekend Only Job?
« on: December 09, 2015, 07:40:42 AM »
I have a usually busy and (more importantly) unpredictable M-F job. Most days I'm in at 8:30 or 9:00 and out at 5:30 or so, but often I'm here out of necessity until 7:00 or 7:30.

I'm looking to increase income in 2016 to help increase my savings rate, and so I think I might be in the market for a weekend-only job.

Any ideas?

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Want to Earn a Side Income--What's the Best Weekend Only Job?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:47:49 AM »
It would help to know your skills. :) Off the top of my head, I'd say retail or pizza delivery, but if you've got a marketable skillset of some type, like fixing computers or something, I'd do that instead and chose your own rate of pay.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:51:51 AM »
It would help to know your skills. :) Off the top of my head, I'd say retail or pizza delivery, but if you've got a marketable skillset of some type, like fixing computers or something, I'd do that instead and chose your own rate of pay.
I'm actually an attorney. But I'm usually pretty mentally taxed by the end of the week--and I hate sitting on my ass all the time--so I'm hoping to do something that will keep me on my feet.

I just moved into a new neighborhood and was thinking that maybe I will seasonally pass around flyers to do yard work (shovel driveways, clean gutters, rake leaves, cut grass, etc.). Would let me be outdoors and allow me to move around.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 08:10:16 AM »
bar tender. 

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
Is this more about the money or more about doing something labor-intensive to relax from a soul-sucking day job? I have a high pressure 9-5 that sometimes ramps up to 80-100 hour weeks. I like nothing better than vegetable gardening, with its labor intensive activity and minimal brainpower requirements. Figure out why you really want to pick up a side gig, then you can pick one that meets your needs.

Uber driver, and real estate are ones that offer a lot of scheduling flexibility.

grosvenor6

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »
If you enjoy sports you could also be a referee or umpire.  Depending on the sport you might need a certification which is usually easy to get.  Around my area you can get about 40 dollars a baseball/softball game to umpire and about 60-80 for a soccer game to referee.  They only last 1-2 hours plus you can enjoy the sports if you are into them.  If you do a few games on the weekend it would be a nice side gig.

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:44:35 AM »
Barters is a decent option. But if you are like me and you use you brain m-f you may want something physical to get your mind off of work. The side bonus is you get some exercise.

I did swimming pools for 4 years as part of a small company. He paid me $150-200 a day cash. Opening pools, closing them changing pumps, liners, heaters etc. I was a part of 2 two man team. I had no pool knowledge to start, picked it up in the first summer (I was pretty handy in general so that gave me a boost). I led the two man team the next few years. It was physically pretty taxing but mental respite.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 08:55:05 AM »
Following the thread because I'm in a similar situation.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 09:27:35 AM »
I take home almost $800 for an ANG weekend, but that's mid-career officer. Also have to do 2-3 weeks annually, though I get paid leave for that.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
If you like animals, I'd say pet sitting.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »
On weekends (Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday) and whenever I have a statutory holiday, I work as a residential support worker for a non-profit group that provides assistance and services to persons with intellectual disabilities who reside in a group home. It is a fantastic job that gives me a sense of accomplishment, and great joy, something I don't have in my regular job. For a part-time job, it pays relatively well ($25/hour), but beside that, it involve a lot of fun activities with my clients such as grocery shopping, spending the evening at the coffee shop to listen to local musicians, going for a drive, movie night every Friday evenings, plays and concerts, short hikes, swimming, skating, accompanying them in their everyday life, participating in Special Olympics events, and whatever else any person -with or without disability, would do in a normal day. Including being their trusted friend and confidante and person to share sad or happy times, and letting them sleep in on Sunday morning. If I could find a similar job where I will spend my retirement, I could see myself doing that for many years, even full time.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
Do you live in an affluent neighborhood where people outsource lots of work?  Maybe where there are older affluent people.  Older folks, especially women, feel safer out sourcing to those in their neighborhood.  Yard work or general honey-do stuff might be a good fit.

kamille

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Neonatal ICU RN
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
I work as a nurse and there are weekend only options. :-) I'm not sure what your definition of the "best" is.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
I work as a nurse and there are weekend only options. :-) I'm not sure what your definition of the "best" is.

I was gonna say!

Not useful to most people (the school wouldn't be worth it if you're not already a nurse!), but there are a lot of nursing gigs you can pick your own hours for and be per diem!

Valetta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »
Posting to follow. I'm in a similar situation and am looking for a side hustle for 2016.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 04:03:36 PM »
Wedding photography or assistant!   Weekend only work is often their biggest challenge.

Hmm. Maybe helping a caterer too?
What about church pianist?

kamille

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Neonatal ICU RN
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »

I was gonna say!

Not useful to most people (the school wouldn't be worth it if you're not already a nurse!), but there are a lot of nursing gigs you can pick your own hours for and be per diem!
It might be the best weekend job because I can make enough without a silly weekday job! :-)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »

I was gonna say!

It might be the best weekend job because I can make enough without a silly weekday job! :-)

I've been mainly working weekends too (sometimes a shift during the week here and there). There's even a shift differential. Not rolling in the moolah, but for 2 days a week, I'm not complaining!

MKinVA

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
Personal trainer for people who also work and have to do their exercise on the weekends?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
I take home almost $800 for an ANG weekend, but that's mid-career officer. Also have to do 2-3 weeks annually, though I get paid leave for that.

Do you have to use up all of your vacation at your job for those weeks?

john c

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 03:07:48 AM »

Do you have to use up all of your vacation at your job for those weeks?

No, Federal law requires that employers provide unpaid leave for drills and annual training.  If placed on active duty, your employer has to hold your job for you.  Many employers pay the difference between your military pay and civilian salary while you're on active duty.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 08:35:47 AM »
So far I think my two best bets are: (1) do landscape work around the neighborhood (pass out flyers or something) and/or (2) become a sports referee.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »
So far I think my two best bets are: (1) do landscape work around the neighborhood (pass out flyers or something) and/or (2) become a sports referee.
You could learn a craft and sell your wares at the local flea market on the weekends. Not sure how profitable it would be though and there's likely to be a decent initial investment in both time and cost of materials.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 11:00:22 AM »
I tutor elementary kids in Math and English and I totally love it. I only make $10/hr and work about 10 hours a week, but it makes a difference for me. If you live in a major city, there often a host of tutoring places you can work including chains like MathNasium, Kumon, etc.
I also pet/house sit for a couple of friends now and then. I've added about $3500 to my savings this year through these gigs outside my full time job.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »

I was a USSSA softball umprie for many years.  It is a great way to spend your weekend outdoors - you get to run around and you can often schedule 5-8 games back to back.  As you get more senior the games and the pay get better.  The money is great.  The only down side is when you run into "that guy" or "that team" that take themselves and softball too seriously.  I gained a reputation of zero tolerance for drinking and swearing.  Once you throw a few bad apples out of the game - they realize you are not messing around.  I loved it and will likely pick it up again in the future.  It also takes little time to get through the training.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »
Weekend relief help for mini-warehouse managers.  My parents used to be live-in managers and they had to have someone cover the office on their 2 days off per week.  The relief person would show the empty spaces to people, collect rent, answer the phone, etc.  Usually not a lot going on I think.  Not great pay, but could be something to do and make some extra money.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!