Author Topic: Want to buy a bike, limited selection, high price  (Read 5014 times)

Stretch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Want to buy a bike, limited selection, high price
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
I want to buy a bike and start riding to work.

The problem? I'm 6'7 and the world is not built for people tall like me. I checked out a few bike shops and found one bike that actually fits, an XL mountain bike with 29 inch tires. It costs around $700...more than I want to spend.

Should I bite the bullet and go for it? How have you justified expensive bike purchases to yourself?

MountainFlower

• Bristles
Re: Want to buy a bike, limited selection, high price
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »
My husband is 6'4" and a lot of things in this world just don't fit him.  I can't imagine how hard it must be for you at 6'7".   29" bikes are the "thing" right now, so I'm thinking that if you watch craigslist, one will eventually come along.  Alternatively, get an REI membership and buy it there.  They might have a 20% deal for new members.  If you are already a member, at least you'll get 10% back at the end of the year. 

-JR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »
This might be a good question for cycling forums. I'd forum the heck out of this before visiting any shop. $700 doesn't sound outlandish, but there aren't any details so I can't really say. In justifying, we are accountable to our own needs. You're in a unique situation, but on far better footing than someone who attempts to justify spending that much on gasoline in half a year.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:08:01 AM »
I agree, $700 is not unreasonable for a good mid-range mountain bike - I think that's what I paid for mine about 5 years ago.  Remember that you will be amortizing the cost over many years, since a good quality frame will basically last forever.  It's also very much worth the money to get a frame that fits you correctly.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:24:36 AM »
I'm 6'6" and looking for a bike as well. 

Keep us posted Stretch!

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »
I'm 6' 4" and ride everywhere.

Some suggestions:

- Don't get a mountain bike if your primary goal is commuting. Horses for courses. I like touring and cyclocross style bikes for commuting. Upright "city" bikes are also a good choice for shorter (i.e. <10 miles) commutes.
- There is a lot of flexibiilty in bike fit by swapping seat posts and handlebar stems.  I still think there is a good chance you could get a 62cm (frequently the largest production size available) cyclocross bike to work for you. A more upright bike might not come in a conveniently large enough stock size, but there is often more wiggle room in fit for less aggressive styles.
- Surly is has a 64cm Long Haul Trucker (there touring model) available now. You probably won't find it on any shop floors, but pretty much anyone could order it for you. It will likely cost more than the $700 you quoted, but it would probably be a better fit for your goals and height.
- Older bikes (e.g. late 70s, early 80s) road bike seemed to come in larger sizes. I ride an old Fuji that fits great. Every now and again I see a 65cm frame show up on craigslist or ebay. Expect to spend a little money getting it tuned up (please, please, please replace the wheels if the rims are steel), but this could be more most economical option.

Good luck.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:05 PM »
If you hold out until the fall you may be able to find some sales. You may able to find some sales in July or August also.  New bike models will come out in August/September.

If you want something used check criagslist anywhere within 100miles of you. You can also use ebay. Its nice because no one cares where you live.

nomoreuntdebt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »
Hey Stretch,

It appears we share a nickname. I am also a 6'7" mustachian trying to navigate the world of average men.

About a year ago, I leased an apartment within 1.5 miles from my work, and I was in the market for a road bike. Using a few frame size calculators online, I determined my ideal size was a 67cm / 26.5 inch frame. I knew that this would significantly narrow the options available to me, so I decided to search for a wider range of 65cm-69cm bikes that I could probably make work.

I was determined to buy used, and not new, so I set up a few RSS feeds to several different Craigslist searches such as "67 road bicycle" "69 road bicycle" and just waited until something was posted. I got really lucky the following day when someone within an hour of the Dallas area was selling off a storage unit full of old Schwinn bikes, 3 of which were in my size range. By the time I got there, two of them were taken, but the one that was left was a 67cm 1982 Schwinn World Sport that I bought from him with two new inner tubes for a total of $120. I had my local bike shop tune it up, put on a couple of new tires, and I was in business.

Honestly, I could probably use a slightly larger frame, maybe a 69cm, but I just raised the seat and the handlebars all the way up, and now my ride is pretty comfortable. I've been able to put in a couple hundred miles so far with no issues. Don't give up on your search, these bikes DO exist!

(The 2nd picture below is from before I adjusted the seat and handlebars)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:10:44 PM by nomoreuntdebt »

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »
I was determined to buy used, and not new, so I set up a few RSS feeds to several different Craigslist searches such as "67 road bicycle" "69 road bicycle" and just waited until something was posted.

This. I've seen large-framed road bikes at tag sales, estate sales, by the side of the road...they do exist, and for attractive prices, but you have to be sleuthy and patient. Don't be in a hurry, and investigate thoroughly. RSS + Craigslist + patience will get you there eventually. In my area, March/April, and October/November are the times to be looking, when people clean their attics and garages.

Stretch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »
I wanted to follow up and let you know I found a bike! I ended up going with a specialized hardrock XXL size. It was very hard to find (and expensive), but I do not regret the purchase. I have been riding to work and it is awesome. I live in the southwest (it has been getting up to 108 degrees during the day) and people look at me like I'm crazy, but I find I actually have extra energy in the mornings after the ride and it generally resets my mood to happy/positive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!