Author Topic: Walmart Bikes  (Read 13021 times)

themagicman

• Bristles
Walmart Bikes
« on: June 17, 2015, 06:47:50 PM »
I am wanting to get my first adult bike. From what I have read here the walmart bikes are not very good. Are there not any of them that are decent? I am not wanting to spend much more than $150 and would prefer not to go the craigslist route if possible. I am just wanting the bike for general exercise and for short trips around my house (Less than two miles). I am not too concerned on time as I am not commuting. Would any bikes from Walmart (Or another big box store) make do? If so, could someone let me know which ones? Thank you!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Walmart Bikes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »
I found a nice Raleigh for that price. It had been used as a rental at a bike shop and was in very good shape. It's a 7 speed and works just fine for trips around town.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:47 PM »
At least get something from REI, one of their store brand bikes.

A bike is something that will literally last decades. It's better to put the money in now.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
Honestly, no - the big box store bikes are all kind of bad. The components (gears, brakes, derailers) are poorly made and often not replaceable (meaning when they break you have to replace the whole bike instead of just that part).

Is there a reason you prefer to avoid craigslist? I ask because there are a lot of good bikes on craigslist in your price range. If you aren't sure what size bike you need, go to a good bike store and ask them to measure you. Some bike stores also sell used bikes, if you just feel more comfortable dealing with a store in general.

A PP noted, a bike can last you decades. My bike, which is a low model Trek that was about $400 - is 12 years old and in perfect condition. Other than keeping it in the garage and filling the tires I haven't had to do anything to it (I don't commute on the bike or anything).

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
I guess I do not understand what is wrong with a low quality bike. Do they not ride as well? You have to work harder on them? Or will they brake a lot easier? If so what parts break. I was just hoping to get a starter bike where I do not have to spend much.

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »
Honestly, no - the big box store bikes are all kind of bad. The components (gears, brakes, derailers) are poorly made and often not replaceable (meaning when they break you have to replace the whole bike instead of just that part).

Are they so bad that they will not last a few years if riding twice a week or so?

Is there a reason you prefer to avoid craigslist? I ask because there are a lot of good bikes on craigslist in your price range.

Maybe I will try looking on there for one. I am just not a big craigslist fan because of convenience and safety.

My bike, which is a low model Trek that was about $400 - is 12 years old and in perfect condition. Other than keeping it in the garage and filling the tires I haven't had to do anything to it (I don't commute on the bike or anything).

did you buy it new for this price? If so, where?

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 08:24:06 PM »
I guess I do not understand what is wrong with a low quality bike. Do they not ride as well? You have to work harder on them? Or will they brake a lot easier? If so what parts break. I was just hoping to get a starter bike where I do not have to spend much.

The lowest end bikes at Walmart have very low end parts, and they are often assembled and serviced very badly before sale.  If you are mechanically handy, you can make them work decently (re-greasing headset, hubs and bottom bracket, checking cables and brakes, checking spoke tension) but that sort of defeats the purpose of buying a new bike in the first place.

And, you still have a heavy, slow bike with low quality parts.  Low end derailleurs need adjustment frequently and don't shift consistently.  Cheap wheels break spokes and go out of true.  Crappy brakes don't stop well and drag on your rims, slowing you down and making noise.  Low end steel parts rust.

There are several benefits to higher end parts: lighter and stronger is faster for the same effort, and the higher end derailleurs and wheels will need maintenance much less frequently.  I have Dura Ace parts that are 20 years old and have been on 3 or 4 frames that still function like new.

All that said, once you get up a rung from the department store bikes, mid level components or components a few years old will do just fine.  I love buying quality older steel road bikes and restoring them, and I often pay $30-50 for a complete bike.  New tires, tubes, cables, and bar tape (and maybe a seat), clean and re-grease everything else, and you have a bike that'll perform very close to a $2-3k new road bike, for a tiny fraction of the cost.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bike-finder/everyone/onroad/?level=lifestyle

What's a shitty walmart bike worth after you fix all the parts after a year? 

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:15 PM »
Your new Giant has a lifetime warrantee btw...

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 06:08:09 AM »
I think it's worth going to $300 or so and getting a new brand-name bike.

Do the department store bikes even use standard parts? I bought an old used one a number of years ago and found it was hard to get parts for (I could only find chains for 6 or more speed cassettes, the bike I had was a 5 speed).

Could also check out this link on Bakari's blog:

http://biodieselhauling.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/buying-bikes-from-craigslist.html

:)

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 08:23:27 AM »
I think for casual riding a walmart bike will probably suit you just fine. Growing up I would ride my bike at least 10 miles a day in the good weather months and my walmart bike lasted several years. Don't expect to have it hold up like a higher end bike would though. You will probably spend more per year on walmart bikes than a higher end if you are riding very much since you can figure on replacing it every 3-5 years. I have a trek now that I've bought new for about $350 ten years ago and its still in great shape with minimal servicing.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »
I was trying to buy a walmart bike for my 12 year old daughter last week.  2 bikes same model @ the store.  1st bike brake level was either incorrectly assembled or broken.  2nd bike wheel out of true. 

If the quality was that bad at the store, I decided it wouldn't last very long.  Little kids bikes from walmart are fine.

lezaline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »

Are they so bad that they will not last a few years if riding twice a week or so?

Honestly, we went through exactly this with my son. We bought him what we thought was a decent Wal-mart bike for $75. He was 8 and we knew he would be growing. With no exaggeration, within one month he hit a curb going up a drive way and totaled the bike! We wound up going to our local bike shop and purchased a $220 bike that has been FAR superior. It rides so much smoother, is easier to "drive" and as a result our son rides his bike more. I was just in last week and am saving my pennies for the bike I found for me. My husband and I have gone through a series of big box bikes and at this point could have bought some REALLY nice bikes from a bike shop. I encourage you to invest in a local bike store that specializes in bikes. They will help you find the right fit and the right type of bike for your intended use.

Many times a bike shop will let you trade in the bike later too which is why we were more willing to invest $220 in a bike for our growing son.

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
I guess I do not understand what is wrong with a low quality bike. ...I was just hoping to get a starter bike where I do not have to spend much.

If you feel comfortable with the price and shopping experience of getting a Wal-Mart bike, go for it, IF(!) that is what it takes to get you started on a bike! Getting you on a bike, any bike, is the most important thing right now! Just be aware that if your biking experience seems "off" from the get go, it may be due to the quality of the bike (or you're just out of shape and then don't blame the bike...the fitness will come). Craigslist is way overwhelming for most people who aren't fluent in "bike", so unless you have a friend who can basically do all that legwork for you, I wouldn't consider it...I know I didn't.

That being said, I would really, really encourage you to go to a local bike shop for some personalize service...no, you won't get a new bike for $150 but you might be able to get one for $300 that undoubtedly will give you at least double the quality and way more in terms of getting a proper fit and some sound advice and helping a local business. But again, what matters most is just getting a bike, any bike, and watch it transform your quality of life!

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
Once you are a more seasoned cyclist, you will better understand our view.

A bike is a long term purchase.  $100 versus, say $500 is NOTHING!  It's not like buying toilet paper!  When your bike doesn't shift right and or the wheel(s) are untrue and no one can fix it, it Sux, man!  It is not worth the $400 you saved.  Bike repairs are expensive!

Do yourself a favor:  Buy a low end (for example):  Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, other "name brands", though I happen to think Schwinn has gone down the toilet.  Probably a mountain bike or hybrid (road bikes with skinny tires require more skill since they are super light...).

Test ride the bikes and be properly fitted before you buy.  A bike is like an extension of your body; you are propelling it with your legs, so you want it to fit right!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:46:00 AM by frugaliknowit »

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
You may also have used bike stores near you.  Here in the Twin Cities, there are several non-profit/not-for-profit organizations that take donation bikes and fix them up to resell.  Often there is a component of social good (i.e. work is done by youth who are learning a valuable skill through a summer bike internship, etc.).  I also know of two places that have an "earn a bike" program.  Participants learn about bike maintenance and do the fixing themselves over several weekly classes.

So, there are other options besides Wal-Mart, Craigslist, or traditional bike shop. 

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 12:24:52 AM »
What is wrong with Wal-Mart bikes? Everything. They are built to be thrown away, not serviced. Professional mechanics can't even make them work right. There is a reason they are in the toy section.

Go to the local bike shop and buy a base level anything. They should cost in the neighborhood of $350, but they aren't twice as good--they are infinitely better than anything at Wal-Mart.

Do you have any other hobbies/interests? Let me see if I can compare it to other things. Buying a bike shop bike instead of a Wal-mart bike is like:

Buying a Canon DSLR instead of a disposable camera

Buying a Honda Civic instead of a Trabant

Buying organic, buttered popcorn to eat instead of dissolve-able packing peanuts

Not trying to be mean, I just feel that strongly and I really want you to enjoy cycling. Wal-mart has done more to discourage cycling in this country than all the auto industry lobbyists, misguided city planners, and asshole drivers put together.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
It's a lower quality ride that will brake down much more easily. Honestly, amortized over a year or two, I don't think it even saves you any money over a low-end bike from a bike shop. You are going to spend the extra in replacement parts any way, and the components.

Here are just, off the top of my head, some of the problems you typically find in a wal-mart bicycle (this list is by no means exhaustive):

• Low-quality steel. This is significantly heavier and will rust and/or break more easily that the cromoly steel used in higher quality steel frames (many bikes also use aluminium, but this is not typical in a walmart bike).
  • The crank sets are usually one piece-crank sets, as opposed to the more industry standard three-piece crank sets. This means if any part breaks (and it probably will), you have to replace the whole thing at greater cost.
  • Crappy plastic pedals; these have a high likely hood of breaking, and are slippery when wet.
  • Low quality deraillers. You will constantly be adjusting these things. And again, they are fragile.
  • Low quality brakes. Usually not a safety issue, but again they will require frequent adjustment to keep them from rubbing on the rims. This can also cause the brake pads to wear more quickly.
  • Suspension. Awful suspension. You don't even need any shocks at all if you are bicycling on paved roads, but for some reason low end bikes often include it, and the low end suspension is truly terrible. Like putting a pogo stick on the front of your bicycle. You may be able to lock it out, but then you are still carrying around a bunch of useless stuff.

Basically, every single thing on there is as cheap as possible and prone to failure. Additionally, the Walmart bikes are assembled by often unqualified workers, and if you are unlucky may not even be safe. This can be mitigated by having it looked over by a qualified mechanic after you buy it, but again, this defeats any cost savings.

All this said, with some luck, it will get you doing trips of a few miles for a year or two.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
I have a Walmart bike that I bought almost 2 years ago now. I hadn't ridden a bike in the US in a long time, and I didn't want to invest much before I knew whether I'd really use it. I went by the reviews on the website. I got a single speed bike because I figured there'd be less to break on it. It has big, textured tires which turned out to be nice because my town has jogging / biking trails that are dirt for part of the way. I also got a folding bike rack for my car, which I plan to keep even if I upgrade the bike.

After a couple months, the handlebars got loose, but I eventually took it to a bike shop where they tightened up everything and filled the tires with air. I just wish I hadn't waited months to do anything with it because it's been fine since then.

The frame is aluminum, but other parts are rusty now from being under a snowpile for much of the winter. It's still alright for short trips. I've put maybe 200 miles worth of short trips on it. For awhile I was biking to work sometimes (5 miles roundtrip at the time), and occasionally I'll take it to the grocery store or library.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 12:06:02 PM »
I have a 7-speed Walmart bike that I bought off their website with free shipping for less than $100 three years ago.  It's perfectly fine for everyday use.  If you are planning to put 20 miles a day on it, it's probably not your best choice, but if you are planning to use it to ride a mile away to the grocery store or library, then it's just dandy.  I don't really see much point in putting a lot of money into the purchase of a bicycle, when they are so cheap and easily replaceable these days.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »
I have a 7-speed Walmart bike that I bought off their website with free shipping for less than $100 three years ago.  It's perfectly fine for everyday use.  If you are planning to put 20 miles a day on it, it's probably not your best choice, but if you are planning to use it to ride a mile away to the grocery store or library, then it's just dandy.  I don't really see much point in putting a lot of money into the purchase of a bicycle, when they are so cheap and easily replaceable these days.

This is the point exactly! A $400 used bike off CL will last 20+ years at the riding rate you describe. A puff of air in the tires and a monthly chain lube will be sufficient to ride for years. An annual maintenance check--tires, gears, brakes, etc.--done yourself will keep the bike ready to ride at all times and cost next to nothing, again at the riding level you describe. And the quality of the ride will be Mercedes to Yugo comparatively speaking.

Over a ten-year period, I am 100% certain the costs of a quality used CL bike and maintenance will beat the costs of a stable of replaceable $149 Walmart bikes. And it will take a stable of them to last 10 years if you're riding 2-3 days/week, even for short trips.

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
Ok I am looking at nashbar for a bike. How many gears do I need to get? I saw this one has 3 gears, I wasn't sure if 3 would be enough or if I would need to get one with 10 or more. What do you all think of the bike below? If it wouldn't be good, would anyone please make me a suggestion on a cheaper bike at nashbar or performance bike?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_579301_-1___204734

phwadsworth

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
I guess I do not understand what is wrong with a low quality bike. ...I was just hoping to get a starter bike where I do not have to spend much.

If you feel comfortable with the price and shopping experience of getting a Wal-Mart bike, go for it, IF(!) that is what it takes to get you started on a bike! Getting you on a bike, any bike, is the most important thing right now! Just be aware that if your biking experience seems "off" from the get go, it may be due to the quality of the bike (or you're just out of shape and then don't blame the bike...the fitness will come). Craigslist is way overwhelming for most people who aren't fluent in "bike", so unless you have a friend who can basically do all that legwork for you, I wouldn't consider it...I know I didn't.

That being said, I would really, really encourage you to go to a local bike shop for some personalize service...no, you won't get a new bike for $150 but you might be able to get one for $300 that undoubtedly will give you at least double the quality and way more in terms of getting a proper fit and some sound advice and helping a local business. But again, what matters most is just getting a bike, any bike, and watch it transform your quality of life!
I am a huge bike snob, I've owned fleets of bikes at times so I could have just the right bike for every type of ride or race.  I look sneeringly down my nose at Walmart bikes.....and I have to agree with what is said here.  Any bike is better than no bike, and if this gets you on a bike, awesome!  There are lots of people out there riding walmart bikes every day, and some of them are doing fine.

phwadsworth

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 06:39:49 PM »
Ok I am looking at nashbar for a bike. How many gears do I need to get? I saw this one has 3 gears, I wasn't sure if 3 would be enough or if I would need to get one with 10 or more. What do you all think of the bike below? If it wouldn't be good, would anyone please make me a suggestion on a cheaper bike at nashbar or performance bike?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_579301_-1___204734

You only NEED one gear.  More gear ratios does not necessarily = better.  I think 3-9 is plenty for around town.

This Nashbar bike looks great!  Nexus Hubs are decent quality, my wife has one on her commuter, and I steal that bike every chance I get.  Chainguard and fenders means you don't have to be a rain-wuss and you'll actually use it more.  Cockpit position looks friendly.
This could be a great option.  Just know that you will need to get a local shop to help you tune it after you first few dozen rides.

Here is an option I saw in my local shop the other day: http://www.manhattancruisers.com/2015-manhattan-models/green-3-15/
Manhattan Cruiser is also known as KHS: http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/green-3-15/
This is a bike, unlike Nashbar, that you can probably get through your local independent bike shop that they will stand behind with warranty and service.  yeah, it's 3x the price you want.  sorry.

I'm lucky that I have a really great used bike store in town that specializes in re-habbing old commuters.  They have stacks of $100-$400 "grocery getter" bikes.  Maybe you have something sort of similar in your town.  Search for it.  A solid used commuter bike that was $750 new will depreciate to about $200 really quickly and then stay there forever as long as you maintain the bike.  So, buy that used bike and you're styling.

phwadsworth

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
A bike shop near you has some interesting options: http://www.intownbicycles.com/products/bicycles/hybrid-bikes
Again, new MSRP is way more than you want to spend, but it may be worth calling and seeing about floor models, new-old-stock, or used that they may have.  Tell them that you went to buy a walmart bike but your friends told you not to, and they should try to help you out.  If not that Nashbar option is better than anything at walmart, imho.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:51:00 PM by phwadsworth »

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 08:52:25 PM »
Thanks everyone! Also what are everyones thoughts about the 3 speed bike below? Better or worse than the other one?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1183614_-1_400307__400307

phwadsworth

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »
That Performance bike looks almost exactly the same as the Nashbar, so much so that I'd bet $1 that they're coming from the exact same OEM factory.  If we were curious enough we could probably find the factory on Alibaba.

Anyway, the big difference is that the Performance bike has a coaster brake in the rear hub (still a Shimano Nexus model).  This may be what you remember from your bike as a kid when you back-pedaled to brake instead of squeezing a hand lever.
Pros: very simple, very durable, doesn't make any squeelly-noise when wet, very rarely needs any maintenance
Cons: Maintenance should be done by a pro when it happens $$$, only a rear brake = not very powerful

Personally, I would get the Nashbar version with the dual hand brakes, but it's really personal preference. Certainly the price difference steers you towards the Nashbar version.

If you can afford it.  I highly recommend you add a front and/or rear rack to your bike so you can carry basic groceries.  It makes a bike SO much more useful.

One last note, I'm guessing that the wheels on these bikes will not have stress-relieved spokes, so the wheels will need to be re-trued fairly soon after you get the bike.  Not a big deal.  YouTube and Google can teach you how to true a wheel if you want, or when you take your bike to your local bike shop for a tune up after the first few dozen rides ask them to true the wheels.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:09:22 AM by phwadsworth »

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 09:08:20 AM »
I think you are on the right track with either of those Nashbar bikes. If set up properly they ought to be super-low maintenance, and you will enjoy riding one of those much, much more than a Wal-Mart bike.

hyla

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
If you aren't willing to spend more than a few hundred dollars and don't want to go the craigslist route (which would be my choice) I think the Nashbar bike is a good bet.  As others have said, its better than the performance bike model because it has a front and rear brake.

I have a vintage 3 speed as my short distance commuter and I find it too be plenty of gears for the in town riding I do (typically under 3 miles, small hills).  If I'm riding on highways, trips > 5 miles, or on big hills, I prefer to take one of my other bikes, which have more gears. 

And I would add a rear rack with either Wald folding baskets (inexpensive, made in USA, and fit a paper grocery bag perfect) or panniers so you can carry stuff. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »
At least get something from REI, one of their store brand bikes.

A bike is something that will literally last decades. It's better to put the money in now.

Would REI be able to measure my inseam (is that what it's called?) and lower the seat to the appropriate for me, and/or install Wald folding baskets, or should I stick to a full-service bicycle shop?

(I'm 5'2" and have supershort legs--lucky me!--so I think I need a standard bike adjusted for my height.)

Sometimes I think I just want an adult tricycle.

http://belizebike.com/english/trike_16.html

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
I'll add some more problems to the list of Wal-Mart bike woes:

Single speed chains will not stay on despite being tensioned and lubed.

Tubes rapidly develop leaks despite no puncture.

+1 for looking for a used quality bike from a bike shop if you won't Craigslist.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »
Would REI be able to measure my inseam (is that what it's called?) and lower the seat to the appropriate for me, and/or install Wald folding baskets
You can do that yourself :-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
One data point:  My $60 walmart bike broke very quickly.  Some piece attaching the pedals to the gears broke.  I would have had to weld it back on.

My craigslist bike has gears wearing out and it looks like it will be very expensive to replace them.  So, neither worked out that well for me.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 02:24:45 PM »

Would REI be able to measure my inseam (is that what it's called?) and lower the seat to the appropriate for me, and/or install Wald folding baskets

Touché.

I'm the primary caregiver for a 5yo and a 2yo and I don't have a strong DIY background and a backlog of other home upgrades to work on first so I think that would probably happen the day after never.

Maybe I'll just throw myself on the mercy of Wheel World when I'm ready to do this.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 08:44:25 AM »

Touché.

I'm the primary caregiver for a 5yo and a 2yo and I don't have a strong DIY background and a backlog of other home upgrades to work on first so I think that would probably happen the day after never.

Maybe I'll just throw myself on the mercy of Wheel World when I'm ready to do this.

If you're already buying the bike and baskets at REI, I guess there's no harm in letting them do it - they have good service and are cheap. But lowering the seat takes about 30 seconds. Plus a couple of minutes to locate the correct wrench/screwdriver if it's not a quick-release. And you *will* probably want to readjust the seat at some point so it's an easy enough task. If you ziptie the Wald baskets it would take about 10 minutes tops.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:47:32 AM by mskyle »

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
One point nobody has made so far is that it's much less of a loss if someone steals a Walmart bike.  Bikes get stolen all the time, despite the strong security measures Mustachians typically use.  There are many people on this board who have had their bike stolen multiple times.  If someone steals a $130 Walmart bike, it's much less of a big deal than if someone steals your $1000 top-of-the-line touring bike.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »
What is wrong with Wal-Mart bikes? Everything. They are built to be thrown away, not serviced. Professional mechanics can't even make them work right. There is a reason they are in the toy section.

Go to the local bike shop and buy a base level anything. They should cost in the neighborhood of $350, but they aren't twice as good--they are infinitely better than anything at Wal-Mart.

Do you have any other hobbies/interests? Let me see if I can compare it to other things. Buying a bike shop bike instead of a Wal-mart bike is like:

Buying a Canon DSLR instead of a disposable camera

Buying a Honda Civic instead of a Trabant

Buying organic, buttered popcorn to eat instead of dissolve-able packing peanuts

Not trying to be mean, I just feel that strongly and I really want you to enjoy cycling. Wal-mart has done more to discourage cycling in this country than all the auto industry lobbyists, misguided city planners, and asshole drivers put together.

+1

Side note: I found a 2007 Caloi Rio-Cruz (Cruiser) at Goodwill for $20. I looked up the value on bicyclebluebook.com and even in 'fair' condition it's got a $50 resale value. I think mine is in 'good' condition which ups the value to $80. A local bike rental company donated TWO of them two years ago when I purchased mine. I should have bought both of them. I even got a nice black basket attached to the front. DH tuned it up and oiled the chain and I was good to go. Tool all over town in that thing looking pretty sweet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!