Author Topic: Waking Up but How to Move Forward?  (Read 8098 times)

albabewick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Waking Up but How to Move Forward?
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »
Hi Mustachians,

I think I stumbled upon Mr. Money Mustache by way of an article about cycling. Bicycling was a catalyst for me about 3 years ago, waking up some long dormant aspects of myself. It has led to improvements in my health and happiness and reason for being. But one part of me continued to be stuck in sleep, stormy and sad - my responsible financial self.

Cliff Notes version - I grew up in a family led by emotionally and financially dysfunctional parents. The consumer way was the default path. Self-destruction was the default path. My emotional reaction to my father's early death was to head to a graduate filmmaking program. Once I had my MFA and moved back home to figure life out, my widowed and handicapped mom was one step from foreclosure and ruin.

I started my non-collegiate adult life with about $80k in student loans, $15k in consumer debt, and the task of cleaning the hoarder's type environment of my mom's home, selling it, getting her into senior housing, and finding a job, any job, with my expensive and hard to market film degree.

I certainly made many missteps early on, but I did manage to pay off the $15k. Then relationship turmoils set in, and I lost my way. I got into a cycle of deferring the student loans, living paycheck to paycheck and not saving, living a completely consumerist life. Working a dead-end job and growing further and further from reaping much professional gain from my education.

Not quite a year ago, I changed jobs at my company. It was a leap of faith - going from an administrative job to a sales job. But so far, I have excelled in my new job, and increased my income from about $40k to $60k or more. Bicycling has brought me round to seeing what it is I really enjoy in life - exploring, thinking and being healthy and active. I suddenly have the true ache to earn my freedom, to be free of the grind of work servitude to the altar of consumption. I want a life in which I can pursue my writing, my cycling and travels. I also still help take care of my mom.

Although I have been pouring over this amazing website and community, I still feel overwhelmed figuring out my first steps. It is a crime against humanity, but I have never even taken advantage of my workplace 401k (has 60% matching up to the first 10% you contribute). But do I do this? Do I attack my debt? Emergency fund? I have nothing in place that will create the future I want, and I am 37. Dating but not married. No kids or pets. Rent an apartment with a roommate but plan to get my own small place this year (renting). Have a car loan - need car to transport mom, do her errands, go to suburb places for my work sales appointments. I live 3.5 to 5 miles from work (depends on route, short route is all 25 mph streets).

I still deal with emotional resistance - when I start to look at bills and expenses, it seems so overwhelming I often stop right there. Rationally I know that is ridiculous. I still feel vestiges of strange hangups I have from my youth - an attitude that focusing on money, wealth, savings, frugality is for squares, not for creative people, that it is for the annoying WASPY folks I could not relate to in college. Back then, it felt more comfortable to be artsy and poor, because I felt I could not possibly reach the echelons of the monied and free class.

Now, I don't really feel I am striving to be part of that country club world - I just want to buy my time, my freedom, not objects or prestige.

I suppose my question is both about finances and about soul searching. I feel like I am shedding some parts of me that have been fortified and hardened over a long time - it's easy to cling to that old person, those old views, yet the real me inside is raw but fighting to emerge.

What to do first?

Thank you in advance for your insights :)

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
Re: Waking Up but How to Move Forward?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
The first step is going to be getting a clear picture of your finances. You dont necessarily have to share here, you could just write it for yourself.

Look at your expenses. What can you cut, what can you reduce? You may cancel some services. You may need to comparison shop and/or do research on some services. You may need to sell some stuff.

Mint.com is one website that can help a person see what their spending is, if you dont know already.

You need to see all your debts, all your expenses, all your income, etc, and figure out a plan. People here will help you if you want. but they are going to want more details.

You can go to the Journals section and see how other people are managing it. I have a journal there, its helped me a lot to write it down, get feedback and encouragment, etc.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
Welcome.  This site is life changing.  I highly recommend the book "Your Money or Your Life".  It will help you resolve some emotional issues it sounds like you have with your finances.  Good luck!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:56:05 AM »
Start contributing 10% into your 401k today. Yes today!!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:59:49 AM by gooki »

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:03:19 AM »
My advice: Start cutting wherever it enthuses you the most to cut, regardless of how much the savings actually are.  If you can get yourself hooked on the satisfaction of cutting your spending, and seeing those benefits add up, then you'll gain an appetite for more savings that will draw you to the more impactful changes in a more natural way than if you just went after them right away.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »
Way to go on the salary bump! 

As noted do Mint, immediately start paying 10% into 401k, and freeze spending, except basics.  Start cutting expenses.  Consider keeping a roommate.    Enjoy the ride. 

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 07:17:21 AM »
+1 on starting 401k contributions immediately.

+1 on identifying all the debt, including interest rates. (Although you obviously don't have to share the details here, I have been awed by how much specific, concrete help the sharp-eyed contributors here offer to those who are willing to lay it all out. If you're not great with numbers, interest rates, etc, the community is the cheapest advice ever.)

On the emo challenges: instead of resisting becoming one of those "WASPy" people who repel you, create a vision of the new you who is "fighting to emerge." I think the artsy-est, most bohemian lifestyle possible is an MMM one: free from middle class striving to have the new SUV or the big McMansion, and free to do whatever you want with your time.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 07:58:33 AM »
Congrats on finding your passion for cycling and your skill in sales!

I really relate to your post as my parents are both starving musicians.  It's really hard watching their retirement struggles (neither have been able to really retire) now that they are in their 70's, but it makes me feel better about my social security withholding each month which I view as going right back to them.

+1 for mustachianism being the opposite of WASP-land and yuppyville.

I'll also chime for 10% employee contribution (at least) in your 401k.  Since it's pre-tax, your take home won't go down as much as you might think.  Think of the 6% employer match as a raise!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »
My advice: Start cutting wherever it enthuses you the most to cut, regardless of how much the savings actually are.  If you can get yourself hooked on the satisfaction of cutting your spending, and seeing those benefits add up, then you'll gain an appetite for more savings that will draw you to the more impactful changes in a more natural way than if you just went after them right away.

+1   for momentum

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »
+1 on the 401k. Your employer is giving you $3600, take it?

My opinion about the artsy, yuppy ... is that it is just a way to understand the world easily by categorizing people but in reality we are all individuals and we are way more complex than these categories suggest. I know plenty of math geeks that enjoy poetry and painting and plenty who dislike both ... like I said, we are complex.

So who says you can't be artsy, salesman and a finance god at the same time ... be a polymath!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
Have you considered filming yourself and your thoughts as you make this life changing transition?  It could make for a interesting documentary.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »
Have you considered filming yourself and your thoughts as you make this life changing transition?  It could make for a interesting documentary.

+1 Great idea!

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »
Welcome to the community albabewick!

Just remember you are not alone.  In general everyone here has either gone or is going through the same process you are.  Keep making steps and you'll find your way.  Even though the finish line does not seem anywhere close to being in sight this is what I'm doing.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »

+1 Great idea!
+1 Do it!

albabewick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:21 PM »
Thank you all for so many heartfelt and truly helpful replies!

I'll try to touch on all of the advice to this point...

@startingfromthestart
After reading about Mint.com on this site, I signed up several weeks ago. I love getting reminders about bills. I am trying to transform the anxiety I am used to feeling about bills into satisfaction. I feel anxiety even though I CAN pay my bills. I need to re-route this thinking!

Thank you for the suggestion of the Journal area of the site - I have not yet explored that!
More details, I don't mind sharing. I may do as a separate post.

@imustachemycash
I am going to check out the library or Half Price books for "Your Money or Your Life" - so many nods to this cannot be wrong. Thanks!

@gooki
401k - yes I have come to this conclusion. In former versions of myself, I fully believed I did not make enough money to spare any money for the 401k. But then, I also believed I did not need 8 hours of sleep back then, too. Granted that was a period in which I earned $28k to $35k or so. But still...

@msilenus
I really think this is sage advice to cut spending where it makes me happy to do so (first). I have started along these lines with food, which is my absolute most heinous overspent category, for a variety of reasons. I am reminded of a saying "You never regret a workout", which is true. I am co-opting that to be "You never regret cooking at home".

@aj_yooper
You've nailed it mostly on the head. The roommate scenario will persist until my roommate's girlfriend finds full-time employment and can then move in. I will then move out; I need the personal space. My roommate hoards the apartment and makes it miserable for me to cook here, to keep much food (fridge is full of her stuff). One cause of my overspending on food is that I habitually eat out to avoid the situation in my apartment. It's not healthy for me or my bank account. I've started pushing back lately, attempting to pack lunches, but with so little space to keep my supplies, it is just plain annoying.

@footenote
:-) I took an entire day several weekends ago to open the massive pile of mail that had accumulated for months, to take full account of what I owe and log it on a spreadsheet. I've been doing physical therapy and have some other recurring health expenses and the invoices and EOB statements multiply like rabbits. My regular bills I pay with no problems, but getting a handle on the medical bills has been a chore.

I could not state it better than you did that the Mustachian Way is the least bourgeois I can imagine, now that I really think about it. My fear and anxiety about money and personal finance is very likely born of my parents' attitudes and feeling inferior to the rich kids at school, who shopped for new LV luggage/purses as weekend sport. It makes me sad to think what good those lost dollars could've been put toward.

@Zamboni
Yes, we have that in common, the former artsy parents. My dad was raised to be a concert pianist, then he rebelled and sought a career in TV broadcasting. My mom was raised with no real prospects, being very poor, and she too ended up in TV operations. Neither parent saved for retirement. My mom now lives on Social Security and nothing else. She is part of my spending drag, as I often pick up groceries, Rx, etc. for her and she can take a LONG time to repay me. I also drive around a lot for her, as her senior apt is in the suburblands, while I live and work in the city. Frustratingly, there are not any "acceptable" senior buildings in the city for her. Sharing a dwelling would be good for only one thing - starting WWIII!

I like your idea to think of the 401k and match as a raise - I will think that as I sign up for it!

@pachnik
Momentum - as in cycling, so in life!

@pom
I will seek to be a true Renaissance Lady. I already fence foil/epee and (used to) ride horses, a little math and fiscal restraint can be worked into the bag. You are right. I should not compartmentalize people and the world so easily. I am many things and can be even more. Why fight against honing more skills?

@Eric
Wow, that is quite an idea. No, I had not thought about it. I've been a little salty on my filmmaking path of late, but really I shouldn't. I used to cling to all the cliched grand notions of Making a Feature Film, and I worked on a low budget one with some local folks. It was a nightmare and soul-sucking disaster. I think I could get behind something on a very small scale, something personal with no grand agenda.

@Mr. Minsc
Thank you for the kind and encouraging words. It DOES help a lot to verbalize this struggle, to set it outside my head and look at it almost as a detached observer. It can be hard to talk to those around you about these struggles as well, so to have this nonjudgmental and insightful group of minds is a great conversation.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
Wow, that is quite an idea. No, I had not thought about it. I've been a little salty on my filmmaking path of late, but really I shouldn't. I used to cling to all the cliched grand notions of Making a Feature Film, and I worked on a low budget one with some local folks. It was a nightmare and soul-sucking disaster. I think I could get behind something on a very small scale, something personal with no grand agenda.

Since you're a filmmaker I might be telling you to suck eggs, but Cesar Kuriyama did his "one second every day" film on his smart phone I think.

albabewick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
@happy
That sounds intriguing and not intimidating. I will check it out.

General update and question:
I just saw that I should have a much larger than usual commission this month, $6k before taxes. My thoughts are to pay off my only credit card (balance around $3800) and save rest for my moving fund, as I plan to get an apartment sans roommate later this year. Nothing fancy! But I need sanity.

Does that sound reasonable? Thanks Team Mustache!

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »
@happy

I just saw that I should have a much larger than usual commission this month, $6k before taxes. My thoughts are to pay off my only credit card (balance around $3800) and save rest for my moving fund, as I plan to get an apartment sans roommate later this year. Nothing fancy! But I need sanity.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
@happy

Congrats on your ass-kicking month!

As far as your plan goes, you need to think through the next few months and run the numbers. How much will you need in order to move? First, last, security, u-haul rental? And when are you thinking about moving? If you send the bulk to this check to the credit card company, will you have enough time to save up the amount up you need to move? What about taxes?

Once you've considered all this, the best answer will become clear.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!