Author Topic: VTSMX v. USAA UCAGX question  (Read 5448 times)

jimschuler48

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
VTSMX v. USAA UCAGX question
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
I’m getting a payout on ESOP of approximately $3300.00 for each of the next five years I need to  roll over.  Being a good former soldier I called USAA and set up an Brokerage account waiting for it to get funded on the August 15th,2014.  My initial plan was to go with VTSMX until I could build it over 10K and then change it to the VTSAX.  Upon talking to one of the “advisors” he suggested the USAA Cornerstone Aggressive fund aka UCAGX.   Having just a peach fuzzy pencil thin mustache I’m biting on the bate and feeling a 1.86% ratio before and reimbursement and 1.26% after is sounding OK if the return is above the S&P Index  like he states.  Of course this is compared to Vanguards low fees.  My gut is telling me he is just trying to sell his loaded Mutual Fund.

I already have my 401K at work fully funded and have switched those to a Vanguard Index, Black Rock Index fund and a small percentage in a Vanguard Bond Index after seeing all the fees I was paying via Personal Capitol.  I kind of looked at this ESOP as house money that I wasn’t counting on.  Mrs. Peach Fuzz gave me the Vanguard speech of Financial Freedom Through Dadassity (Bless her) so that is why I figured this might be a moment to ask the opinion of the forum.  I have no debt except the house and my wives small clown car which is my tradeoff for Mustacheian ways.
Bottom line; VTSMX or UCAGX?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: VTSMX v. USAA UCAGX question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »
When I look at UCAGX on google or yahoo finance I can't go back further than June 13, 2012.  Looks like the fund was created then?  That's not much historical data to go on.

And plotting the UCAGX vs VTSAX over that time period shows VTSAX way ahead.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
VTSMX/VTSAX is total market, not S&P 500.  Drop the USAA guy like the hot potato he is and put your money at Vanguard or Fidelity, whichever you prefer.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
Nacho - UCAGX inception was in 2012.

Another Reader - It's silly to do another account when you can buy VTSMX at USAA if there are no additional fees.

Jim - Stay away from the high-fee UCAGX and stick with your original plan.

jimschuler48

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
Thank you all very much.  Guess I should have listened to my wife, and my gut.

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
I'm so glad you asked this question! I have the Cornerstone fund with USAA and I need to move it! Thanks for the motivation. Calling tomorrow.

jimschuler48

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
I made the switch to Vanguard  and the guy at USAA, Gabe, got a little pissy and even insulted me!  I was shocked but wanted to point out how wonderful Lauren at Vanguard Concierge Service was in getting me set up.  She walked me through the entire process like a champ.  She mentioned the different type accounts to which I replied I’d stick with my plan otherwise “it wouldn’t be very Mustachian of me”.  That one phrase started a whole different conversation of brother hood and love with high fives and fist bumps.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
USAA also has USSPX which is SP500 index fund.