Author Topic: Volunteering ideas  (Read 2850 times)

Calimerostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Volunteering ideas
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:28:05 PM »
Very interested in knowing what other mustachios like to volunteer for ?
I’m about to have some time off and I’m considering doing volunteer work.
What organization have you found satisfying supporting ? Which one you did not?
How much of your time did you volunteer a week ?

lollylegs

• Stubble
Re: Volunteering ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:32:43 PM »
I currently do volunteer sewing for a charity. Its as many or few hours as I want which works out well for me while I'm still working full time. I get to do something I love and it benefits kids in foster care so its a win win.

I have two charities that I'm going to volunteer at once I retire - Pets as Therapy and Conversational English classes for refugees. Both will be a couple of hours a week, have already researched them and looking forward to having the time to volunteer.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:25:54 PM by lollylegs »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
I play percussion for a community concert band once a week. I volunteer at a local newspaper once a month and I volunteer  for a foundation that gives out grants. I wish I could be a full time volunteer.

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »
I volunteer at a Zoo right now, it is fun and I learn a lot.  Right now I don't have time to do regular volunteering, so I just do special events, 13 hours in October, but normally they take 6 month volunteers with 4 hours/week.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 09:02:22 PM »
In no particular order, I've done or still do:

Teach (well, run as I'm not certified) a simple yoga class at the local library.

Volunteer with a local wildlife sanctuary/rehab (I help care for baby squirrels, opossums and am being trained to care for birds as well).

I occasionally work with a local group that does therapeutic riding - I groom the horses and clean the stalls/equipment and help with general maintenance. I do occasionally help lead the horse while the child is monitored by a primary therapist.

Yard care (mowing/edging/bed weeding) for seniors.

Also do basic stuff at the library (reshelving and organizing and helping with their monthly book sales).

I've done work at the local theaters - usher, ticket taking, even worked behind the scenes in the costume shop and doing basic construction. It's fun and I have a theater background.

Holiday buying/wrapping/delivering for a childrens' charity that benefits disabled/deaf kids.

I try to do my yoga every week unless the weather is bad or the library is closed. I really enjoy working by myself and appreciate the ones where I don't have to interact all the time with people (animals are fine!) but I do like the yoga class and it keeps me doing it at least once a week too. ;)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
I sing for hospice patients with a local chapter of the Threshold Choir. This involves 2-hour rehearsals most weeks, and singing for patients as needed. I’ve found it to be an incredible privilege to sing for these people.

I educate local voters/advocate for voters’ rights with the League of Women Voters. This involves 2-hour board meetings every month and other events as needed (more time during election season). I love doing this work, especially as I get to spend a lot of time working in local politics. We are very fortunate to have some truly excellent and committed people in local government, and votes at this level really make a difference.

I also sing in a couple of local choirs, and both have weekly rehearsals. I’m a founding member of one choir and have known the director of the other choir since I was in high school. Both groups are full of excellent musicians, and the challenges of keeping up with them (I’m not professionally trained) have bumped my own skills up several levels. I love the challenge and the warm, family-like settings in both groups.

I’m very grateful to be self-employed with a flexible schedule and home office. Otherwise, this volunteer schedule would not be possible.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:22:40 PM by OtherJen »

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:25:00 PM »
My favorite volunteer activity is working at a huge public garden a mile from my home.  In summer I weed, mulch, and prune with a team.  I enjoy plants and people who love plants.  I also am a tour docent.  In the winter I plan to work in the greenhouse and conservatory.

I also help at a local elementary school reshelving books in the media center.

I do many things at my church, including choir and one off volunteering projects.  When I recently heard that the local food pantries were  tapped out I organized an impromptu food drive within my condo complex.

I am only 6 months into full time FIRE.  I am being deliberate and slow to commit to volunteer jobs.  It’s good to take your time.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:27:35 AM »
Once a month I volunteer in the kitchen for a program that provides freezer meals to veterans who are university students.

My church participates in a bunch of support programs at a local school that is extremely low income - right now I’m collecting books for them.

I write political postcards.

I think I’m going to sign up for the training for the United Way program to help people do their taxes.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 06:22:31 AM »
I do work for the same organizations and issues I did before retirement, just put  in lots more time.

Bulldog rescue— provide foster home, cash infusions, occasional hands on work. Like right now I am writing a note in 450 Christmas cards, stuffing them and addressing them with labels and stamping them.

Neighborhood association- Board secretary, work various projects, attend (as few  as possible) meetings. Latest big project:  Put up my house for 850 people to tramp through during fundraiser house tour.

Community garden: secretary. Head weeder for perennial borders.

Plant societies and garden club – hold secretary, treasurer,  and committee positions. Plan and participate in flower shows. Attend schooling and accreditation events for being a plant judge.

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 10:18:48 AM »
There are several different programs I work with--I do a lot of tech outreach for children/schools, and then I also do mentoring and some area-specific tutoring for young adults coming out of foster care and people working their way out of poverty.  It generally averages out to about 10 hours a month although that just depends on what's going on at any given time...I know last month was only about three hours, but this one will be close to 40.  All of this is through local organizations and schools, though, since I'm sure you're something close to you you might try your local United Way website if there is one.  I don't work with them directly and I know people who've had some complaints, but at least in my area they do a great job of aggregating local volunteer opportunities and nonprofits so even if you don't see a specific opportunity that interests you, you can get the contact information for a nonprofit with a mission you're interested in and ask directly for more information.

Calimerostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
Wow so many ideas, I love it keep them coming.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »
My wife and I walk dogs at the local animal shelter three mornings a week.  We don't have a dog of our own (though that might change in the future), so it's a good opportunity to get pet time without actually having one.  It's also good exercise, because many of the shelter dogs are not leash trained when they come in, so it takes some strength and agility to handle them.

I serve on the board of a regional environmental non-profit.  The time commitment varies a good bit depending on what is going on.  Some weeks I don't put in more than an hour or so; other weeks I might put in a day's work or more traveling to meetings, writing, making calls, etc.  I'm a bit ambivalent about it and am not sure if I'll continue long term.  It's a little too close to the type of work I did before FIRE.  But I do care about the issues we address, so it's hard to let go.

Last year I volunteered to canvass the local neighborhoods for a political candidate.  It wasn't exactly my favorite thing to do, but I did it anyway because I cared deeply about the outcome of the election.  Too bad my candidate lost. :(

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 03:25:56 PM »
I volunteer a half day a week at a thrift store that benefits a local cat adoption charity. Once a month or so I take one of the adoptable cats to a local TV station for their “pet of the day” segment.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 03:48:19 PM »
I coached an FTC robotics team made up of homeschooled high schoolers for four years. That was a day-long meeting each week, plus about four day-long competitions or other events. I loved it.

I'm the treasurer for the local AHG troop, and go on their camping trips and service opportunities. That's an evening a week, plus paperwork in between, plus about monthly other events.

I cook a meal once a month for our church's program that serves a free hot lunch to all comers.

I lector at church about once a month, but that hardly takes any time at all because I'd be going to Mass anyway. I do spend a few minutes preparing the readings in advance.

It's not official volunteering, but I also babysit my grandkids and drop them off at school four days a week.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 05:49:43 PM »
I take the dog to nursing homes, schools, etc. to visit the residents.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »
I am a math tutor at the local library.  I've only been doing it for a few months but it's been great so far.   The grade levels are Elementary through High School, and it's a different situation each week.  I highly recommend it for FIREd STEM types. 

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »
If you don't know what you'd like to do, check out Volunteer Match. They have tons of different options in my city.
https://www.volunteermatch.org/

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 05:37:13 AM »
I currently lead a Girl Scout troop and participate in a community council that assists low-income families. I'm also on my county's Board of Health. I'd like to do more, but I still work 40+ hrs/wk so I've limited myself to these activities for now.

Once I have more time, I want to get involved in conservation work - ideally shorebird and/or turtle nest monitoring.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:44:41 AM by startingsmall »

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 09:24:25 AM »
It's about that time again, Tax Time!
So VITA will be looking for volunteers. It's an effort through United Way where we help underprivileged populations file their taxes: they avoid penalties, I learn about the tax system. Win-win.

Other volunteering ideas:
- trail maintenance for the hiking/biking trails
- math tutor
- free babysitter for friends
- Big Brother/Big Sister

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
I do VITA every year and love it.

I love the idea of taking your dog to a nursing home to bring some joy to the residents. I spent some time in nursing homes as part of a prior job, and those places need all of the joy they can get.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »
I tutor math at our local high school -- they're always looking for adult tutors, and I can specify what times/subjects I'm willing to work. It's currently one hour per week per student, and I'm usually willing to go up to three students.

I'm a volunteer nordic ski patroller, so a bunch of refresher time in the fall and then ski days during the winter.

I still have a kid at home, so over the years I've done quite a lot of volunteer soccer team organizing, both for club teams and for the high school program at different levels.

I also try to volunteer on (no more than) one data-analysis-based committee at the high school.

Mostly, I volunteer to do stuff that's fun for me and needs doing. If I don't think it's fun, then it's a burden, so looking for ideas that are both works out well!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 11:35:07 PM »
Since I had skills as a scuba diver diving in low-visibility conditions, I volunteered as a diver for a local underwater archaeology nonprofit.  Didn't have to pay to fill my air tanks!

Then I volunteered as a mentor to inmates at a federal prison.  That was an experience.

And I volunteered at a local nonprofit to be a mentor to youths to help get them to college or finish college.

Calimerostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone contributing.
Wanted to say that it pushed me to volunteer .
Today I had my first trail work party in the mountains.
It was not only good to be in the mountains but to also feel a sense of purpose.

I’m also seriously considering the tax volunteering.