Author Topic: Vitamix vs Blendtec vs Nutribullet Rx  (Read 27569 times)

Brilliantine

• Stubble
Re: Vitamix vs Blendtec vs Nutribullet Rx
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2015, 04:14:28 PM »
This is really interesting to me. IS there some kind of a confirmation bias about buying a very expensive blender? Sounds to me like for the price of one of these Vitamix blenders, I can buy 20 Osters.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »
This is really interesting to me. IS there some kind of a confirmation bias about buying a very expensive blender? Sounds to me like for the price of one of these Vitamix blenders, I can buy 20 Osters.
You can also buy 20 bicycles for the price of a motorcycle

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »

Yes, I know what a motorcycle does that a bicycle doesn't do.

Those of us with "blenders" don't understand what a Cadillac blender does that a Hyundai blender doesn't also do.   Feel free to explain.  I freely admit that I don't understand.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
i don't have one yet, but I've drank smoothies made from a nutribullet Rx, and they are 100% smooth after 30 seconds of blending. My blender I blend for 3 minutes and there is still chunks, seeds, etc. I've dried making almond milk with my blender and it does such a poor after trying to crush the almonds for 5 minutes that half the almonds can't make it through the nutbag still. I've tried grinding coffee beans with my blender and it sucks.
Although I haven't tried those things (other than the smoothie) with a "Cadillac Blender" from what I hear they work great. Also allowing almond butter, ice cream, hot soup etc. Also not breaking, and if for some reason they do, having a warranty to replace them that lasts more than 1-2 years.

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2015, 06:08:42 PM »
I'm a very happy owner of a refurbished Vitamix.  I bought it with gift cards I received.  I felt very spendy when I bought it, but I don't think that anymore.  Before I bought the Vitamix I went through three $50 blenders in a year and a half.  Two years into using my Vitamix and it hasn't had a hiccup.

- I think the Blendtec is a very solid choice too, although I still prefer the Vitamix.  I'm suspicious of the Nutribullet.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
I'm a very happy owner of a refurbished Vitamix.  I bought it with gift cards I received.  I felt very spendy when I bought it, but I don't think that anymore.  Before I bought the Vitamix I went through three $50 blenders in a year and a half.  Two years into using my Vitamix and it hasn't had a hiccup.

- I think the Blendtec is a very solid choice too, although I still prefer the Vitamix.  I'm suspicious of the Nutribullet.
I agree that the Vitamix and Blendtec are really the only choice for top of the line blenders, Nutribullet Rx has about the same capabilities of those other blenders, but they only offer a standard 4 year warranty compared to the 8 year warranty of the blendtec, even the refurbished Vitamix has a longer warranty at 5 years. Although I think companies that sell "extended warranties" are just ripping you off, I respect companies with long "standard" warranties that don't cost extra.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2015, 06:32:10 PM »

Yes, I know what a motorcycle does that a bicycle doesn't do.

Those of us with "blenders" don't understand what a Cadillac blender does that a Hyundai blender doesn't also do.   Feel free to explain.  I freely admit that I don't understand.

I understand... it took a long time for me to justify buying one and I bought it from Costco where I figured I could return it if I felt that it was useless. I do also have an older Black & Decker or whatever blender laying around.

The more expensive blenders just tend to be able to do more things (soups, etc.) and daily smoothies are much easier because 1) motor is more powerful 2) you can add more items at once and not worry about the blender clogging or slowing down 3) the consistency of your product becomes much, much finer. I always felt that the B&D blender left things a bit... thick. And it also has trouble with crushing ice.

I guess if it comes down to it, it's an issue of convenience and preference? Maybe a "luxury is a weakness" type of thing? :O

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2015, 07:51:30 PM »
Vitamix here.

- We killed multiple cheap blenders.

-I do veggies in my smoothie, and cheap blenders = chunks.

I would have gotten the blendtec if it had been cheaper, they seemed equally good, but I got a deal on a vitamix.

math-ya

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
You can't lump all blenders that's are under $200 into this 'cheap' category. My blender was probably $30 new and its 15 years old. It's Hamilton beach and when people say cheap blenders can't crush ice or veggies I think it's a total joke. Maybe a bottom of the line cheap blender can't blend well or has a motor that wears out quickly. But my quality cheapo turns chicken thigh bones into liquid with ease.
I think that's about as tough as you need

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
You can't lump all blenders that's are under $200 into this 'cheap' category. My blender was probably $30 new and its 15 years old. It's Hamilton beach and when people say cheap blenders can't crush ice or veggies I think it's a total joke. Maybe a bottom of the line cheap blender can't blend well or has a motor that wears out quickly. But my quality cheapo turns chicken thigh bones into liquid with ease.
I think that's about as tough as you need

What you need and what I want are different things. I like overkill and knowing I will likely never have to replace my blender. My last cheap one broke - I'm quite confident that this guy will last practically forever. You also can't buy 15 year old blenders right now, so be happy you got a cheap one while they were still decent!

Check out the Will It Blend series on Youtube to see the ridiculous stuff that a Blendtec will power through, example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XNSKIzDPtg
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:17:27 PM by JLee »

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
We have a Ninja; not sure which model.

He have no trouble whatsoever making smooth smoothies; ice is no problem.  Soups are a piece of cake.  We haven't tried anything more complex like nut butters, and all that other stuff mentioned here.  We have a food processor which we typically use for that.

We have had the Ninja for 3 years, not a problem so far.  My Mom has a Vitamix and raves about it; we did wan't to shell out the $500, and went with the Ninja.  So far, based on what we use it for I 100% say don't get the Vitamix.  However, if you want to frequently use to for more complicated uses, then I'd have to research more.

Vitamix standard certified refurbished blender: $250
Blendtec 570: $250
Nutribullet Rx: $180

Experiences? Suggestions?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
It turns out Oster actually makes a blender very similar to the look of a Vitamix, called the Oster Versa, with similar power. It costs $200, so even the brand that people refer to as a replacement to vitamix or blendtec costs just about as much when they make it similarly.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »
It turns out Oster actually makes a blender very similar to the look of a Vitamix, called the Oster Versa, with similar power. It costs $200, so even the brand that people refer to as a replacement to vitamix or blendtec costs just about as much when they make it similarly.

They have multiple Versas at varying prices.  And the cheaper Versas get better Consumer Reports ratings than the $300 Versas.  The whole blender market really seems to be sort of odd -- with uber expensive models and relatively inexpensive models getting similar ratings.  It seems really tied to "coolness" -- which is just really strange to me. 

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 11:37:59 AM »
I don't really want to turn this into an argument. Smoothies are awesome. I have one every morning. I don't know if they would be twice as awesome if my smoothies were creamier. The thing to remember is the Tiny Details Exaggeration Syndrome.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »
I don't really want to turn this into an argument. Smoothies are awesome. I have one every morning. I don't know if they would be twice as awesome if my smoothies were creamier. The thing to remember is the Tiny Details Exaggeration Syndrome.

However, I can say it's a well known fact that the blenders that have the model name written in Courier font are notably superior.

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2015, 04:00:59 PM »
If my Vitamix broke today I would buy another one tomorrow. I have used the warranty once when I noticed a small crack in the hard plastic blending container. They sent me a new one without a problem and didn't even ask for the old one back.

I have used the Ninja and would not recommend that blender. I have made margaritas with the Blend Tec and the Vitamix and felt the Vitamix made it smoother but the difference was negligible.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

jason9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2016, 04:08:28 AM »
In my opinion go for either one of two. Both of them are made for heavy duty work and are durable. Had complication with ninja warranty had to pay few extra bucks. Using Blendtec for more than 4 years and there are no issues. It does what is it made up for.
I usually use it for smoothies, sometimes use for grinding meat and pork and bang.

The only difference I see is the price tag of these blenders.
Comparison and review: http://www.blenderbabes.com/blender-babes-101/blender-reviews/blendtec-vs-vitamix/#cost

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »
You just pulled up an 8 month old thread, but let's go ahead and revitalize this bad boy.

We bought the Vitamix solely for green smoothies (though we use it now for much more). We drink them daily and the cheap blenders just don't cut it.

The difference between Vitamix, Blendtec, and other high end blenders vs. the cheap Osters and Hamilton Beaches is consistency.  Making a green smoothie in a cheap blender leaves lots of little chunks. If that doesn't bother you, then go ahead with the cheap blenders. My wife and I could not choke down a green smoothie with little chunks of hard scratchy kale in it.

We paid over $400 for a refurb 4-5 years ago (you can get them for under $300 now) and it was probably the best money we've ever spent. We use it more than the range, microwave, and various other more expensive appliances in the house.

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »
I looked up the Consumer Reports recommendations (at the library :) and this past holiday season they recommended Vitamix for higher end and Nutri Ninja Pro (900 watts) for more budget conscious. I bought the Ninja (when it finally went to the best sale price) and and am very impressed with its power and design for the lower price point. Far superior to the Bullet I previously used.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »
OP here, I ended up buying a used nutribullet for $50 and it has treated me well. I only make smoothies for myself and my girlfriend, so the 32 oz cup is more than enough, even the 24 oz cup is plenty. If you were making smoothies for 4+ people something with a bigger container might be good. It also works good for grinding coffee beans and making almond milk, however I tried to do almond butter once and it wasn't very successful. Almond butter is the only thing that it hasn't been able to do very well. The smoothies are completely smooth the same as the smoothies from a nutribullet RX, which is equivelant to blendtec or vitamix
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:19:19 AM by Jeremy E. »

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2016, 10:28:35 AM »
You just pulled up an 8 month old thread, but let's go ahead and revitalize this bad boy.

We bought the Vitamix solely for green smoothies (though we use it now for much more). We drink them daily and the cheap blenders just don't cut it.

The difference between Vitamix, Blendtec, and other high end blenders vs. the cheap Osters and Hamilton Beaches is consistency.  Making a green smoothie in a cheap blender leaves lots of little chunks. If that doesn't bother you, then go ahead with the cheap blenders. My wife and I could not choke down a green smoothie with little chunks of hard scratchy kale in it.

We paid over $400 for a refurb 4-5 years ago (you can get them for under $300 now) and it was probably the best money we've ever spent. We use it more than the range, microwave, and various other more expensive appliances in the house.

I will second the consistency issues with cheaper blenders.  The cheap blenders reminded me of if someone got a shredder or something or put the kale through it, then mixed it into a fruit smoothy.  It was "liquidy" but still in small pieces with a gnarly texture.  The blendtec made it a "smoothie" rather than a "chunky".  If you just make strawberry and banana smoothies, there's no reason to get an expensive blender.

In related news, the seal on the bottom of my blendtec pitcher blew out yesterday.  The odometer said it's just under 1000 uses since I got it.  I called them up, and they sent a new pitcher immediately.  I bought it a little over 3 years ago with a bed bath and beyond coupon, probably cost ~$400.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »
+1 for Ninja. Only $59.99 new at Target, and I've been happily using mine for 5 years now. It's always either in use or drying in the dishrack, I use it so often it rarely gets put "away"

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
OP here, I ended up buying a used nutribullet for $50 and it has treated me well. I only make smoothies for myself and my girlfriend, so the 32 oz cup is more than enough, even the 24 oz cup is plenty. If you were making smoothies for 4+ people something with a bigger container might be good. It also works good for grinding coffee beans and making almond milk, however I tried to do almond butter once and it wasn't very successful. Almond butter is the only thing that it hasn't been able to do very well. The smoothies are completely smooth the same as the smoothies from a nutribullet RX, which is equivelant to blendtec or vitamix

I've heard good things about the nutribullet. It just doesn't have a large enough capacity for my family.

cschx

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2016, 11:22:22 AM »
About 95% of what any blender is, is the motor. So +1 to the folks who've identified "big ass motor" as the distinguishing feature of these high-end blenders; it makes a huge difference. When in doubt, compare motor specs.

I recently found a Vitamix commercial smoothie blender in a dumpster and took it apart in an attempt to fix the motor (the rest of the unit was fine, but when running it produced copious amounts of horrible PVC smoke). This bad boy has a 15 amp motor with carbon brushes. You could probably use it to power a go kart. The rest of the internals are singularly unimpressive, though... nice use of hot glue! Besides the motor it's mostly empty space.

(Sadly there's a short in the winding and I may end up having to scrap this $800 blender.)

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Does anyone know of any of these good blenders that have a glass container instead of plastic? I have concerns about too much plastic contact, especially with hot liquids (like blended soups). We have a blender with a glass container which is great, but it doesn't work very well as a blender (creates a bubble at the blades then doesn't blend).

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2016, 12:59:06 PM »
Does anyone know of any of these good blenders that have a glass container instead of plastic? I have concerns about too much plastic contact, especially with hot liquids (like blended soups). We have a blender with a glass container which is great, but it doesn't work very well as a blender (creates a bubble at the blades then doesn't blend).
I know that the standard nutribullet uses a plastic container, not sure about the others

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »

I think Breville makes one.  The main issue you'll run into is durability, glass is generally more fragile than plastic.  I'd suggest looking up some reviews before buying one (or searching XXXX Blender glass breaking).  It'll be heavier than plastic too.  This will probably be more pronounced with a higher powered blender.  Also keep in mind your seals that keep everything inside the pitcher from leaking out the bottom will most likely not be glass or metal.