Author Topic: Vitamix vs Blendtec vs Nutribullet Rx  (Read 27566 times)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
Vitamix vs Blendtec vs Nutribullet Rx
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:42:31 AM »
Vitamix standard certified refurbished blender: $250
Blendtec 570: $250
Nutribullet Rx: $180

Experiences? Suggestions?

lunahsol

• Stubble
Re: Vitamix vs Blendtec vs Nutribullet Rx
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »
I am firmly in the Vitamix camp.  Love it and use it multiple times a day and eat healthier because of it.  It has become so easy to make my own salsa, sauces, plant-based milks, nut butters, smoothies, hummus . . . the list goes on.   

I bought mine new (pre-MMM), and would do so again.  From all I have heard, the refurbished models are just as good as brand new and have the same warranty.  I would happily hand over $250 for this machine and consider it a steal.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
Also a satisfied Vitamix owner.  Have not used other brands so can't compare.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
+1 Vitamix
I used my last roommates blendtec and it had some major issues. The nutribullet is a good basic blender but it doesn't take it to the next level like vitamix does.

Sandhills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »
Another happy Vitamix user (almost daily). I bought my refurbished.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »
What are you looking to make? I discovered my Cuisenart food processor makes excellent smoothies (including crushing ice or frozen fruit) and hummus. My mother cobbled it together from a mixed lot on Ebay and it's been a real workhorse in the kitchen.
Mainly smoothies and almond milk, but wouldn't mind the ability to make almond butter, soups, ice cream, instant pancake batter, etc.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »
What are you looking to make? I discovered my Cuisenart food processor makes excellent smoothies (including crushing ice or frozen fruit) and hummus. My mother cobbled it together from a mixed lot on Ebay and it's been a real workhorse in the kitchen.
Mainly smoothies and almond milk, but wouldn't mind the ability to make almond butter, soups, ice cream, instant pancake batter, etc.

Smoothies and nut milk are not issue in the food processor. It can do nut butters and "cream of" soups without an issue, though the blades aren't going to heat it up for you the way it does on those vitamix ads. I don't understand instant pancake batter. I make pancake batter by dumping all the ingredients in a bowl and whisking it. How does a mixer make it more instant? It can't do ice cream, though my stand mixer came with an ice cream maker bowl and I've used it once in five years of owning it.
I read that it works great for batters, so I assume pancake and cake batter when I hear that, and just assume it mixes them quicker while I can be more lazy, basically the opposite of this post
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/05/muscle-over-motor/

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:05:03 PM »
+1 vitamix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
I am firmly in the Vitamix camp.  Love it and use it multiple times a day and eat healthier because of it.

+1!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »
I've never owned a Vitamix, but I have a Blendtec, and I love it!  Got it for my birthday years ago, still going strong.

I chose it based on a review of someone who had both.

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »
Very happy blendtec user here.     I'm sure the vitamix is also very good.   I suspect the other one is not quite in the same class as those two.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »
We have the Nutribullet Magic Bullet (not the RX) and I like it quite a bit, but it's definitely not in the same class as a Vitamix. It's great for the little smoothies I make for myself and a nearby little kid. I've also used it for hummus and similar. It works fine, but it's more of a single-serving kind of contraption. Great if you are on a green smoothie diet, but it has limits.

Also, we've had it two years and the base just died and the blade is starting to detach from it's base thingie. You can order replacements, but I'm sure Vitamix is higher quality and probably has a decent warranty.

If I was a bachelor and didn't want to make an Investment, I would just order the Magic Bullet (~$90).

If I was feeding a family or I was a super-triathlete type and I was willing to make an Investment, Vitamix.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »

We've got a 15+ year old, $35 Oster that just works fine.  Just saying.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »

It just depends on what you want to do. I wasn't a believer till I bought a Blendtec. I don't think the power outputs are comparable - you just just a better consistency.

If it is something you use often, I don't think it's a bad purchase. I have had my Blendtec for years. I like it and it's a bit more visually pleasing than the Vitamix  (moot point if you don't keep it on the counter) AND a bit shorter which makes it easier to store.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
Vitamix for us.  It's a wonderful machine.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »

It just depends on what you want to do. I wasn't a believer till I bought a Blendtec. I don't think the power outputs are comparable - you just just a better consistency.

If it is something you use often, I don't think it's a bad purchase. I have had my Blendtec for years. I like it and it's a bit more visually pleasing than the Vitamix  (moot point if you don't keep it on the counter) AND a bit shorter which makes it easier to store.

I still don't get it. 

I have access to a consumer reports login... so I went that direction to see if I could see the difference.  The models suggested by the OP were not reviewed.  It does look like if you are willing to shell out the money for the $500+ models -- Consumer Reports does rate the various Vitamix/Blendtech models really high.  Under that, they seem pretty closely rated to "less premium" brands that are significantly (sometimes hundreds of dollars) less.

They only reviewed 2 Nutribullet models (and not the one listed by OP).  They ddn't like them at all.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
I have paid 10x over for my Vitamix in what it would have cost me to buy baby food and almond milk if I did not make it.

+1 for vitamix.

And my 5 year old is in love with banana ice cream.

Mountainbug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »
+1 for the vitamix, but I will say that sometimes I find it inconvenient to use because of the space it takes up and the loudness. But I do love it!

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
We have a top-line Blendtech, and my parents have a top-line Vitamix. IMO, the Blendtech is significantly better in terms of not needing intervention; the plunger on the Vitamix is a PITA.

Never used the lower end models or the bullet.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 07:43:06 PM »
I've got a Hamilton Beach that I think was in the $25-$35 range and has served me well for 6 or 7 years.  I use it pretty heavily and grind up a bunch of ice in it every morning.  Of course, I quickly burned through the motors on 2 or 3 other cheap blenders this way before I found this one. I made gazpacho the other night and I've mixed up cupcake batter in it in the past. (I didn't even know that was a thing. I just decided to try it out of laziness one time. Seemed to work fine and it poured into the cupcake papers neatly.)  I even pureed gallons of raw apples once in an extremely laborious, but delicious, apple cider making operation; but mostly I use it for smoothies and blended iced coffee.   

I'm not convinced these expensive blenders are worth it.

Learner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 04:52:16 AM »
We have a Blendtec (and the specialty twister jar, which is a big help for thick things like hummus, peanut butter, etc).  Either the Blendtec or a Vitamix will be a huge advantage over a standard blender - of course, this depends greatly on what you want to use it for, and how often.  My wife and I thought it would be crazy to spend $400 for a blender, but then we borrowed a friend's for a week.

You can achieve similar consistency/results with a lower end model, but there are two main reasons we went with a high end: processing time and cleanup.  What would take me 5+ minutes in an Oster, we can do in 30 seconds or less in the Blendtec.  Cleaning is very, very easy, and important for us.  If it's hard to clean well, that's a major barrier to use, especially when strapped for time.  Cleaning is the big reason we chose the Blendtec over the Vitamix.  Blendtec uses a dull blade design whereas the Vitamix uses a sharp blade.  For the times when a simple rinse/blend with soap and water isn't enough, I don't worry about slicing my hand with the Blendtec.

The Blendtec has an LED counter on the front to show the minutes used.  We bough ours in Nov 2013.  We're currently at a bit over 1100 minutes, so we use it on average about 2 minutes a day.  We have limited counter space.  The Blendtec and the coffee maker are the only appliances that sit out.

If you can borrow from a friend to test any of those models out, I'd highly recommend it if you're not familiar with them.

Learner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 04:54:25 AM »
Forgot one thing - based on what we used a food processor for, the Blendtec also replaced our KitchenAid food processor, which frees up a lot of space (and it was rarely used, since a 60 sec processing operation would take 5 minutes of clean up at least).

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »
I wish I knew how to add polls to a post... But anyway, so far we have
9.5 votes Vitamix
5 votes Blendtec
1 vote Hamilton Beach
1 vote Ninja
1 vote Cuisenart food processor
.5 votes for nutribullet

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
My mom has vitamx, and I found it's very hard to clean. I got little bits and pieces stuck underneath the blade. How do you guys clean the thing?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
I love my Blendtec.  It's very easy to clean (a cup of water and a drop or two of soap and run it for 15 seconds).

I haven't used a Vitamix, but I doubt you can go wrong either way. I feel people are going to vote for what they own, not necessarily for which is the better blender. ;)

To anyone with a $30 blender who thinks it's the same, it's not. :P

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »
I would marry my Blendtec if I could marry a kitchen appliance.  I also shelled out the money for the twister jar last year, and that really upped the versatility factor.  It's now really easy to make hummus, almond butter, tahini and coconut butter.  It's also nice to have the smaller jar for making small batch things like mayo and salad dressing.  With the bigger jars, you need several ounces to get the ingredients up to the level of the blade, but with the Twister jar I can do a 1-egg batch of mayo.

Mine came with the regular jar when I bought it, but then the company offered a Wildside jar for the cost of shipping.  So now I have a spare jar, and plan to use it for non-food things, such as making my own lotions and things, so its utility is going to increase again.  This fall I plan to use it to grind my homegrown Bloody Butcher corn into cornmeal. 

CostCo has Blendtec with the Wildside jar on sale right now for $250, IIRC.  Might be better than a refurb at the same price.  At least when I bought mine there, it included an 8-year unconditional warranty (oh, you cut the power cord off?  We'll fix that for you), vs. a 7-year conditional warranty.  If it dies after 8 years and one day, I will replace it in a heartbeat.  Mine has over 1,100 cycles on it after about 3 years of ownership.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
My mom has vitamx, and I found it's very hard to clean. I got little bits and pieces stuck underneath the blade. How do you guys clean the thing?
[/b]

Fill to 3/4 with warm water
Add a drop of dish soap
Turn it on and let it whirl for a minute or so
Rinse

This has always worked for me.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »

Fill to 3/4 with warm water
Add a drop of dish soap
Turn it on and let it whirl for a minute or so
Rinse

This has always worked for me.

...and this pretty much works with any brand/model.

Alternate method for almost any model:
1. Take apart
2. place in dishwasher

math-ya

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 09:48:16 AM »
I think some expensive models are not worth it. I have a 15 year old Hamilton beach cheap model and it works just fine. There's never been anything it hasn't been able to chop up. And I make home made cat food with chicken thighs with the bone regularly.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 09:55:48 AM »
The vitamix is a really bad-ass machine - tons of power for doing things like 2 lbs. of nut butter at a time.  It is pretty amazing. Even for things like hummus, my Cuisinart simply can't compare - they both make hummus easily, but the texture is really different.

The alternatives out there copying the Vitamix might have caught up, but read the specs to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. 

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »
The vitamix is a really bad-ass machine - tons of power for doing things like 2 lbs. of nut butter at a time.  It is pretty amazing. Even for things like hummus, my Cuisinart simply can't compare - they both make hummus easily, but the texture is really different.

The alternatives out there copying the Vitamix might have caught up, but read the specs to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
I think blendtec is their main competition and although Vitamix is older, it seems Vitamix is the one copying Blendtec, as Blendtec sued Vitamix recently for copying the design of their wildside jar

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Vitamix camp here. Fiance got it, kind of on a whim. If she hadn't, we'd still be using the Oster.

The Oster works. It does everything it needs to do without fail.

The Vitamix excels. It does everything it needs to do, without fail, and does it better than the Oster. Then it does more.

The Oster is like a good low-cost index fund. The Vitamix is like a high-cost actively managed fund that ALWAYS outperforms the market without fail, and the end result after fees is a tiny bit better than the Vanguard index fund--and they give you a coupon for free ice cream once a year.

If this was me, I'd still be rocking the Oster, even after experiencing the Vitamix. But it is something I am damn glad that I have. If it ever breaks, I will repair it, or else put it on the Christmas wish list.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »
Adding to the choices: Ninja.

http://gotgreensrevolution.com/blendtec-vs-ninja/

I don't even own a blender (I'd like one) but would find it hard to justify a multi-hundred dollar purchase for something I use once in a blue moon. Ninja might be enough.

Forgot one thing - based on what we used a food processor for, the Blendtec also replaced our KitchenAid food processor, which frees up a lot of space (and it was rarely used, since a 60 sec processing operation would take 5 minutes of clean up at least).

That's largely why I got rid of the food processor too: cleanup time.

+0.5 for Ninja. We had one (the "professional") for about 3-4 years, before it broke. A $100-something model. To be fair be usually made 2x smoothies every weekday (me+wife). The spinning wheel thing on the base got all torn up for some reason, and I found no way to repair it. Searching around I ended back on the Ninja brand, despite being pissed that it broke. I cannot justify a $300+ blender, and the $30 seem like POS that will break soon anyway.

What finalized it for me was that if you order through the ninja website they have a deal where you get a lifetime warranty. At least for the $200 model.
http://direct.ninjakitchen.com/products/nutri-ninja-ninja-blender-duo-bl640//4/microsite/nutri-ninja-auto-iq/?_ga=1.8869558.2078537718.1396544486
Figured if it breaks again I'll just get a new one! I made 1lb+ of almond butter the other day and it was no problem. So as far as I can tell it does the job.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »
I caved and went for the $260 shipped Vitamix 6300/Pro 500 today (refurbished, 5 year warranty.) I have a Ninja Pulse for daily breakfast smoothies, and it works... but it makes funny noises if you do more than a few quick pulses, especially if there are blueberry peels on the blade. I worry about longevity, and plan to use the Vitamix for as long as possible. (I also have a Hamilton Beach travel blender at my fiancee's place for smoothies. In some ways I like it better than the more expensive Pulse - slightly more space in the "16 oz" container and seems to stand up better to fruit. But the lid has started to crack and leak after about 18 months of use.)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »
I caved and went for the $260 shipped Vitamix 6300/Pro 500 today (refurbished, 5 year warranty.) I have a Ninja Pulse for daily breakfast smoothies, and it works... but it makes funny noises if you do more than a few quick pulses, especially if there are blueberry peels on the blade. I worry about longevity, and plan to use the Vitamix for as long as possible. (I also have a Hamilton Beach travel blender at my fiancee's place for smoothies. In some ways I like it better than the more expensive Pulse - slightly more space in the "16 oz" container and seems to stand up better to fruit. But the lid has started to crack and leak after about 18 months of use.)
That's the Vitamix I'm looking at, I'm also looking at the Blendtec 570 from Costco,
But I think I've decided I'll wait and look for a deal on a Blendtec that comes with a Wildside+ jar, which is the 90 oz jar. I might even try to find one that comes with a wildside+ jar and a twist jar.

OnTheMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 01:24:45 PM »
Another happy Vitamix owner here. Ours can handle anything we throw in it. If you really stress it out, it will shut itself off automatically to cool down so the motor doesn't burn out. But I think you'd have to be doing some seriously hardcore shit for that to happen. I use it to blend up batches of liver for baby/toddler food, crush macadamia nuts, you name it.

We did need to think about it for quite a while because it was a big investment and we felt at the time that it was a bit of an indulgence. In the end, we paid around $550 for a new-in-box Vitamix 750 on ebay (with full warranty, I think 10 years).

Not everyone would get the use out of it to justify the cost though. If you just want to make smoothies or chop up some salad then I don't think you don't need a Vitamix - a much cheaper blender or food processor would probably be fine.

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »

Yup. Love my Oster that I bought from Costco for $27. We use it for smoothies every morning.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32395453398.html
Found a Vitamix knockoff, should I try it?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »

For ~$120 more I'd get a refurb Blendtec with a 7yr warranty.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »

for $120 more I could get a new Blendtec with an 8yr warranty via Costco

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »

Okay, or that. My point is I wouldn't spend over $100 on a no-name unknown Chinese blender.

The Costco price is for a Blendtec 570, which is a Costco-only model. The refurb prices have gone up slightly ($280 now for a Blendtec Total Blender). The difference might not matter for most people.

Blendtec Total Classic
3.0 peak horsepower motor
10 incremental speeds + Pulse
Molded plastic finish
Colors: Black, Red, White
Touchpad interface for easy cleaning
Preprogrammed cycles: Smoothie, Batters, Hot Soup, Whole Juice, Ice Cream, Ice Crush
Illuminated LCD timer displays remaining time on blends
Dimensions: 7" wide x 15" tall x 8" deep
Weight: 7.28 lbs
13 amps, 120 volts
7-year warranty

3.0 peak horsepower motor
3 speeds + Pulse
Molded plastic finish
Colors: Black, Pomegranate
Touchpad interface for easy cleaning
Preprogrammed cycles: Smoothie, Hot
Illuminated LCD timer displays remaining time on blends
Dimensions: 7" wide x 15" tall x 8" deep
Weight: 7.28 lbs
13 amps, 120 volts
8 Year Warranty

I'm sure you'd be happy with either one. As for the knockoff, do you feel lucky? :P

As for the year warranty difference - if it fails after a decade, I'll just buy another one - but this thing is a tank. Splined steel shaft drive (none of this rubber wedgy-thing you see on cheap blenders), massive motor - it's overbuilt to hell and back.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:09:23 PM by JLee »

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

Okay, or that. My point is I wouldn't spend over $100 on a no-name unknown Chinese blender.

No kidding.

If anyone needs more convincing, I strongly suggest they read the book "Poorly Made in China."

TL;DR? This video is chilling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keaE7QTKTYE

On something with spinning blades and a powerful electric motor, I wouldn't skimp on quality.

Quince

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »
I've told my husband that if he leaves, he leaves the Blendtec.  It's fantastic. Easy to clean, which means it is used often. We do smoothies almost every night, so it generally just gets a rinse,  with a dishwasher cycle once a week or so. The blades aren't sharp, so no being poked when cleaning it on the rare occasions you need to dislodge something.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »
I've told my husband that if he leaves, he leaves the Blendtec.  It's fantastic. Easy to clean, which means it is used often. We do smoothies almost every night, so it generally just gets a rinse,  with a dishwasher cycle once a week or so. The blades aren't sharp, so no being poked when cleaning it on the rare occasions you need to dislodge something.
I heard that the Blendtec self cleaned and the dishwasher was unnecessary? Did I hear incorrectly?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 06:54:58 PM »
I never put mine through the dishwasher, but I suppose a person could, if they felt it was getting some build-up or something.  Part of what sold me on it was the water and a drop of soap, then hit the pulse button a couple times and rinse it out.  That works for pretty much everything except say, a bunch of nut butter or something else really gunky.  I make bulletproof coffee (buttered coffee) in mine most mornings and usually just rinse, maybe do soap every 3rd day, and it seems to stay clean, or maybe I have low cleanliness standards.

sfsellin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »
Vitamix for sure. I did tons of research about 2 years ago, and I am super happy with my Vitamix. My neighbors have the blendtec and there is definitely some jealousy when they come over.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:34 PM »
Not one of the choices, but I impulse bought a Dash blender in my pre-mustachian days.  It was clearanced for $300.  Although a week later I went back and it was marked down to $100.  I got Shopko to give me the difference.

Anyway, I love the thing.  I've had to replace the jar once, but that only cost $17.  I've done hummus, smoothies, soups... all the things.  Except grind wheat.  I need to try that still.  I think it was well worth the $300, and definitely worth the $100.  If it dies, I'll look at getting another super blender.  They are worth the cost for me.

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »
Nutribullet worked really well for me Blendtec broke after 6 months.  If you want some video reviews I highly recommend discountjuicers(username)on youtube

bord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2015, 08:51:04 AM »
10 year Vitamix owner here. Good stuff.

re: batters - Don't do it, especially to your pancakes.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
I felt guilty buying a Vitamix around 8 months ago, but I don't anymore. I bought refurbished and used gift money for part of it. It's been great. I use it not quite daily, but almost. It can't do EVERYTHING, but pretty darn close. I agonize over purchases like this and then usually go the cheap route, and then I regret it, so I'm glad I didn't do that this time. If you think you'll use it a lot, I say shell out the cash and get you one!