Author Topic: Visual Voicemail  (Read 6271 times)

goatmom

• Bristles
Visual Voicemail
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:59:22 AM »
Ok, I was so excited to switch to Ting on my iphone.  Now I am seeing that there is no visual voicemail!  Does anyone have a good work around on this?  I don't think I want to go through the day not knowing who I have voicemails from.  Thanks in advance.  I really don't want to have to go back to my old carrier over this issue.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Visual Voicemail
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 06:40:57 AM »
Hangouts is a good, free visual voicemail. I use it on Ting

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 06:53:26 AM »
Nobody but the major carriers and Google Voice do any sort of visual voicemail, and even Google Voice's version is nothing like the fancy-pants iPhone version of visual voicemail you're specifically using. That said, there's always Google Voice Lite for specifically this purpose, though the usual privacy violating, datamining caveats apply for all Google services - not to mention the reliability of free. Thankfully, Ting supports and allows call forwarding on their plans. However, using this will alter how you access voicemail on the phone entirely.

That said, if you lose visual voicemail entirely? Let's put things in perspective: This is a first world problem with an ultra luxury handset. Suck it up, Buttercup. Just answer your phone or actually listen to your messages like most other people, and use the missed call log to find out who called. Voicemail transcription is not a killer feature even when it is free (mostly due to the inaccuracy), and certainly isn't worth whatever premium you're likely to pay going back to your old plan.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:56:10 AM by I.P. Daley »

goatmom

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:45:37 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I realize it is a first world problem.  I unfortunately have a job where I get many phone calls every day.  Some I can ignore.  Some are urgent.  I need to be able to quickly go through my voicemails several times each day and triage the calls. 

goatmom

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »
Also - maybe I am calling something visual voicemail that isn't visual voicemail.  I just want a list of all the voicemails received.  That way I can scroll through them and get my work done.  I was on straight talk from Walmart prior to this.  I just switched from an iphone 5 to the new SE.  My iphone screen was not working well - so unfortunately had to cough up the money.  And for work I need a very reliable smartphone.   Thanks again.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
Is visual voicemail where it automatically converts it to text for you and displays it like a text message?  I just switched from Republic Wireless to Google Fi and randomly found out that this is what it does.  It's kinda cool and entertaining at the same time - lots of goofy interpretations.  That's all I have to add, worth the price paid...

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Roughly speaking, Google Voice works well enough for my purposes.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 03:44:07 AM »
I have an iPhone 4s on ting, previously had the same phone model on Verizon.  Voicemail works exactly the same for me on ting as it did on Verizon.   You set it up with your name and then when someone leaves you a message, their name is added to your voicemail list and you can play their message (or any others in your voicemail list) whenever you want and in whatever order you want.  You can also delete the message with a swipe.

Not sure if you're looking for something more than that, but I haven't noticed any missing features with my iPhone while using ting. 

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 05:41:05 AM »
You set it up with your name and then when someone leaves you a message, their name is added to your voicemail list and you can play their message (or any others in your voicemail list) whenever you want and in whatever order you want.  You can also delete the message with a swipe.

I think this, not voicemail transcription, is what goatmom is missing. It's interesting that you have it because, like goatmom, I lost this functionality in my switch from verizon to ting. Are you on a sprint or t-mobile SIM card (CDMA vs GSM)? I'm on the "new" t-mobile/GSM card that came out last year, so I wonder if that might be the problem? Any insight from I.P. Daley?

Edit: Looks like this might be a "luck of the draw" kind of thing that happens for some people who bring their phone over from sprint: https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203804168-Visual-Voicemail-works-fine
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:46:59 AM by terran »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:09:32 AM »
Also - maybe I am calling something visual voicemail that isn't visual voicemail.  I just want a list of all the voicemails received.  That way I can scroll through them and get my work done.

No, you're calling it exactly what it is.

If Google Voice Lite's hacky workaround doesn't give you an adequate substitute to what you need (it will basically send you SMS messages of hilariously transcribed voicemail messages with the name/number of the contact - but to be fair to Google, their accuracy is now 49% better! *snicker*), I don't know what else to tell you. This is the price of convenience and an ultra-expensive, ultra-proprietary handset that literally has an approved carrier list. You wander off that list, they break "core features" of your phone and you become a second class citizen. A great example of this is AT&T MVNOs and MMS data configuration. Even after purchase and unlock, you basically still don't own your phone. This is a company that basically wants to dictate the carrier and plans you can use, even after paying them a king's ransom for a stupid slab of electronics that they openly admit to basically designing with a three year planned obsolescence cycle.

Now, to be fair to Apple, we are specifically talking about a feature that is carrier dependent for integration and not exclusive to iPhones anymore. That said, it's still a creature comfort feature. The primary carriers as a general rule don't provide these features to their wholesale MVNO partners, because it's fiddly little features like this they use to justify charging such hefty premiums. Financial exploitation of hedonic adaptation at its finest. You look at the providers on the approved Apple list, outside of the 800lb gorilla MVNOs owned by Carlos Slim that you used to be with and the boutique brands owned by the major carriers pretending to be MVNOs, nearly everyone on that list is a rinky-dink regional network operator. All of them have visual voicemail, and all the carriers want the uber-expensive, data hungry, high end luxury phones on their network directly as well to increase revenue themselves. Here's the reasoning: If you have deep enough pockets to buy a $400+ cellphone - even on credit/subsidized? That's basically advertising that you're a cash cow, and they want a permanent tap off your udder.

There's the landscape for you and your options in greater detail, with the reasons they are the way they are. Adapt or be milked.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:14:51 AM by I.P. Daley »

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:24 AM »
Cricket has visual voicemail, not sure how it compares to Ting, but could be an option.

goatmom

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »
yes, i don't care about getting data.  i use very little.  i could do without a camera, lol.  I do need a smart phone (required for my job) and i really found getting a list of voicemails made me more productive. oh well, i am trying to see if youmail or such an app might be a workaround.  I hate to go back to straight talk and pay the money.  I will try a few more things.    Thanks for all the help.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »
Using Google Voice + the App would give you a list of voicemails wouldn't it?

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
I use YouMail. Not impressed but not dissatisfied. It's free.