Author Topic: Visiting the Dentist!  (Read 5306 times)

legacyoneup

• Stubble
Visiting the Dentist!
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:05:19 AM »
I have my first visit to a dentist this Saturday. I have Metlife Dental Insurance through my employer. They seem to have numerous complaints regarding denied claims.

I'm wondering.. its possible Metlife might try to screw me over. Are there any precautions I can take like requesting the dentist to provide me certain documents in writing before the procedures..

I'm visiting an in-network dental hospital and the dentist seems to have decent reviews online.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Visiting the Dentist!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:10:15 AM »
I have my first visit to a dentist this Saturday. I have Metlife Dental Insurance through my employer. They seem to have numerous complaints regarding denied claims.

I'm wondering.. its possible Metlife might try to screw me over. Are there any precautions I can take like requesting the dentist to provide me certain documents in writing before the procedures..

I'm visiting an in-network dental hospital and the dentist seems to have decent reviews online.

What are you expecting to go wrong?

My impression of dental insurance is that it's not very useful since it doesn't cover large, expensive procedures. At least, that's true for a policy at my work, which I decline because I would have to pay for it myself. It's just easier for us to pay the dentist directly.

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:31:52 AM »
I've had extensive dental work with fairly decent insurance coverage - at one point my own plan, plus my husband's which was even better. Even with both I still paid out of pocket.

With most insurers there is a maximum amount they will cover per procedure, and a maximum benefit amount per year. Some procedures are totally covered like a hygiene visit twice a year on mine, and what they call 'bitewing' x-rays - but they are part of my yearly maximum.

Usually there is one office worker who knows the insurance policies very well and can estimate very closely what you will need to pay out of pocket.  You can ask for the costs in advance, and if you require expensive procedures as I have (root canals, crowns, dental implant) they can submit what is called a 'Pre-treatment Plan' to your insurance company. That will tell you exactly what they'll cover and what you can expect to pay.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:49:48 AM »

What are you expecting to go wrong?

My impression of dental insurance is that it's not very useful since it doesn't cover large, expensive procedures. At least, that's true for a policy at my work, which I decline because I would have to pay for it myself. It's just easier for us to pay the dentist directly.

it probably just depends. my dental insurance through work is very very cheap, and I just went to the dentist for the first time in 6 years (!!! embarrassing! I know! but I was in school, moving around, and without insurance for four of those years... but seriously no excuse) and I had TEN cavities!! ugh! the dentist I found is great so far (I got 5 of the fillings on Tuesday and am getting the other 5 in a couple weeks), and after my cleaning when I made the appointment for the first set of fillings, they gave me a helpful sheet with the cost for each filling, what it would cost if I didn't have insurance, what my insurer was going to pay, and what I owed. It's ending up to be like $275 out of pocket for me for all 10, while the overall cost is something like $800... so I'm glad I have it! that being said my insurer is UnitedHealthcare so I guess that doesn't help the OP all that much :(

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:50:53 AM »
oh, but I should add, I would just ask the dentist... assuming if they are in-network they submit the claims directly to MetLife, they will know if it's a "good" or "bad" insurer and what kind of problems are likely to arise!

Melf

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
My employer provided dental insurance is currently through MetLife.  I don't think you should have too much trouble as long as you have an idea of what your plan will cover and claim forms are correctly coded and filled out.  Most dentists around here submit the claim forms for me so it's usually not a problem.  As stated earlier, most dentists can give you a good idea of what a procedure will cost you out of pocket up front.  If your plan is like mine then don't expect it to cover much.  Twice yearly check-ups/cleanings are usually covered in full.  The other stuff like fillings and crowns are covered at either 50% or 80% depending on your plan.  There is usually a maximum yearly allowance of $1500 also.  It was $2000 a few years ago but now we get less for more $.  Good luck.

Marlan

legacyoneup

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:11:16 AM »
Thanks to all who replied here. Apparently, my coverage is better than I thought.

The dentist found two wisdom teeth colliding with my regular molars. So not fun :-(
They are coming out this Friday.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 08:00:03 AM »
Unless your employer heavily subsidizes it, dental insurance is NOT insurance.  It is basically a smoke and mirrors "budgeting tool".  The typical maximum annual payout is $1,000 per year, plus there are deductibles.  They will claim they are giving you all kinds of discounts, blah, blah, blah (mostly BS).

Generally speaking, the plans can be helpful for families.  I have to tell you, as an individual with an unsubsidized plan, it's mostly smoke and mirrors.  I dropped mine and put $50 per month in a virtual "dental account" (same thing or better).