Author Topic: Visiting San Diego - any advice? Tips?  (Read 2329 times)

StaceStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Visiting San Diego - any advice? Tips?
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
My hubby and I will be traveling across the country to San Diego in May. I've never been west of Nashville before, so I really have no idea what to expect other than what I've researched online. We'll have just about a week to explore.

Questions:
1. Things to do/see? If it helps, we like art, history, museums, the outdoors, and good food!
2. Is public transport pretty easy/readily available?
3. What area to stay? We will probably go through AirBNB - looking at places in North Park, Bankers Hill, or Little Italy and open to suggestions :)

Thanks for any advice/help!

$200k

• Stubble
Re: Visiting San Diego - any advice? Tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
I vote for Banker's Hill; lived there for 3 years during law school and loved it.  FYI, avoid areas between Grape and Hawthorne as it is directly below the flight path of the airport. 

Banker's Hill is walking distance to Balboa Park (roughly 2-5 blocks).  You can spend 1-2 days in Balboa Park just visiting the various museums, there are plenty.  Banker's Hill is also very walkable to Little Italy, Downtown, and Hillcrest, which all have great food.  If you need to get to North Park, buses are easily accessible.

If you want to get to other places further north like La Jolla, you'll want get a car or expect more cumbersome bus schedules.

Obviously, I'm just scratching the surface.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: Visiting San Diego - any advice? Tips?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
Try looking at this thread for some ideas:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/looking-for-things-to-do-and-see-(and-eat-and-drink)-in-san-diego/msg206006/#msg206006

North Park, Bankers' Hill and Little Italy are all great areas.  Public transportation is pretty hit-and-miss in San Diego.  AirBnb listings will often tell you what bus/trolley line is close by.  Lots of museums in Balboa Park so see how easy it is to get there from the areas you mentioned.  All are reasonably close if you were driving.  I'm not sure about public transportation.