Author Topic: Visiting Phoenix for a few days  (Read 4048 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Visiting Phoenix for a few days
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
Hey everyone,

This is a little random, but I thought I would ask, I'm visiting Phoenix for about 5 days this week. I'll be staying with my cousin, Thursday and Friday I'll be on my own as both him and his wife work. I won't have a car, but they live right on a lightrail line, and would love suggestions for things to do from anyone that either lives in Phoenix or has been there. Right now things on my list are

Phoenix Fine Arts

Japanese Friendship

Pizza Bianco

Thank you in advance for your help.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Visiting Phoenix for a few days
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »
State fair is going on right now, if you are into that. The Arizona Science Center is right next to Pizzeria Bianco, so you could walk on over. If your cousins have a library card, you can probably check out a culture pass and get in for free.

Other than that, there is the usual, NBA game, random museums along the Central corridor. Without a car, you wont see the best Arizona has to offer, since it is all outside of the city.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »
Thanks, didn't think about the science center.

My cousin has a car, so I imagine we will be exploring a little at night and on the weekends.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:47:25 PM »
Hey everyone,

This is a little random, but I thought I would ask, I'm visiting Phoenix for about 5 days this week. I'll be staying with my cousin, Thursday and Friday I'll be on my own as both him and his wife work. I won't have a car, but they live right on a lightrail line, and would love suggestions for things to do from anyone that either lives in Phoenix or has been there. Right now things on my list are

Phoenix Fine Arts

Japanese Friendship

Pizza Bianco

Thank you in advance for your help.

There's an awesome Mexican-Chinese hybrid restaurant called "Chino Bandido"

http://chinobandido.com/new-location/

Cheap. Good. Locally owned.

It's a bit of a drive, but see if your cousins will take you up to the Rock Springs Cafe. Crappy decor; fantastic pie selection.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »
Last time we went we visited a rock art center. It was pretty sweet!

https://shesc.asu.edu/museums/deer-valley-petroglyph-preserve

Anomalous

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 06:07:56 PM »
The Desert Botanical Garden (https://www.dbg.org/) is worth a visit, especially if you're not already familiar with the Sonoran desert plants and animals. I've always driven there, but it looks like it is on a bus route and only about 1.5 miles from the rail line, so you should be able to get there without a car.

I live up in northern Arizona, and the Desert Botanical Garden is one of the two places that we always take out of state visitors to (the other being the Grand Canyon, which is a bit out of your way if you're staying in Phoenix.)

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »
I've only spent a short time in Phoenix, but my favorite restaurant there is Oregano's.  It's a local chain, so there are locations all over the place.  My favorites include the cheesy garlic bread and the Cookie Pizza (I think their version is called a pizzookie), half chocolate chip, have PB chocolate chip.  Both of these were split with another person, and would be too much if you were on your own, but easy enough to take to go. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
I've only spent a short time in Phoenix, but my favorite restaurant there is Oregano's.  It's a local chain, so there are locations all over the place.  My favorites include the cheesy garlic bread and the Cookie Pizza (I think their version is called a pizzookie), half chocolate chip, have PB chocolate chip.  Both of these were split with another person, and would be too much if you were on your own, but easy enough to take to go.

Thank you! There's one about 1.5 miles away. Sounds ideal for if I want to get some fresh air, I can walk there, eat, and then walk home.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
My Arizona resident friend had the following to say, plus shared this awesome Google maps activity guide:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zE8qZI0-IWr4.k7_BwhEqNyjo

Phoenix Art Museum (free on Wed.), Botanical Gardens...

cborders

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
Check out First Friday downtown from 6pm-10pm. Eat at Welcome Diner (the line may be long on First Friday) if you get a chance, you won't regret it. Oregano's is good but Pomo Pizzeria and Pizzeria Bianco are probably the best spots downtown. Lost Leaf and Mother Bunch Brewing are fun spots for drinks, as is Angel's Trumpet Ale House. Next door to Lost Leaf is Jobot Coffee, a 24 hour coffee/crepe bar. There are some cool murals in the area too, around 2nd St & Roosevelt and other areas (google Phoenix murals).

There's a festival at the AZ Musical Instrument Museum this weekend with live music and food, might be out of your way though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:09:55 AM by cborders »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »
My Arizona resident friend had the following to say, plus shared this awesome Google maps activity guide:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zE8qZI0-IWr4.k7_BwhEqNyjo

Phoenix Art Museum (free on Wed.), Botanical Gardens...

The Google activity guide is a jackpot. I saw there's a good sandwich place near me, I love homemade mozzarella!