Author Topic: Vintage Razr to Smartphone (maybe iPhone) advice needed  (Read 9138 times)

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vintage Razr to Smartphone (maybe iPhone) advice needed
« on: October 14, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »

So, I've been pretty darn mustachian over the years rockin' my old razrs with the pre-paid monthly plan ($45/mo).
I resigned from my job august of 2013 and have been traveling the US ever since trying to find a location conducive for me to buy a house & make my homestead.
The past year+ of travel I've been driving my little Kia or Bicycling and quite a few times I've gotten lost, sometimes VERY lost. It has made me long for a smartphone. The map features, GPS, finding accommodations & food nearby, etc etc...
Anyway, I spent a long time trying some phones out in the At&t store & have to admit that the iPhone was the easiest most intuitive for me to use. I CRINGE at the thought of dropping $550 on an iPhone 5s or $650 on the 6, but I'll be continuing my travels, going cross country to the west coast and really would like a smartphone. I was thinking about doing the $60 prepaid at&t unlimited talk/test & 2.5gb of data, or I just learned of cricket from this forum which looks like it has a $45 3gb plan.
I'm also used to apple, as I've been using macs since the big white ones back in the 80's & 90's.
Anyway, I would LOVE to get some advice from mustachians, because when it comes down to it, it's mustachian thinking that I really trust.  Even though the iPhone felt easiest for me to use, and the thought of syncing it easier to my Macbook air seems good, I'm so nieve with smartphones that IDK if it's just ridiculously priced and I should get something else.
HELP!
Thanks & Peace, Brandon

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Vintage Razr to Smartphone (maybe iPhone) advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
Just to clarify a little on my traveling: This past year I have used the car & bicycle basically by driving to a certain local & then once there using the bicycle (hub & spoke style) to get to know the area. This will continue, but I'd also like to do some bicycle only touring on the west coast soon to. Smartphone capabilities I think will make me feel safer in this lifestyle.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:30:28 PM »
I, too, think the iPhone is the easiest to use (others here may disagree).  But the prices for new are high.

Why not buy used?  There are plenty out there.  I'm still using my 4s (old AT&T, now on airvoicewireless for $10/month) and it's just fine. 

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »
I, too, think the iPhone is the easiest to use (others here may disagree).  But the prices for new are high.

Why not buy used?  There are plenty out there.  I'm still using my 4s (old AT&T, now on airvoicewireless for $10/month) and it's just fine.

Unlike MMM, I'm pretty much a terrible mathematician, so I'm probably off on my tallies here: I was initially thinking about either buying a used or older model but after doing some research I see that many folks consider iPhones to be pretty much outdated after 3-4 years? It looks like most people who had older model iPhones upgrade them every 3-4 years. Which figures to an iPhone being worth between $162 - $216 a year. Which means that saving $100 by getting the iPhone 5s over the 6 may not be cost effective in the long term? Not sure how this breaks down for getting an even older iPhone?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »

Unlike MMM, I'm pretty much a terrible mathematician, so I'm probably off on my tallies here: I was initially thinking about either buying a used or older model but after doing some research I see that many folks consider iPhones to be pretty much outdated after 3-4 years? It looks like most people who had older model iPhones upgrade them every 3-4 years. Which figures to an iPhone being worth between $162 - $216 a year. Which means that saving $100 by getting the iPhone 5s over the 6 may not be cost effective in the long term? Not sure how this breaks down for getting an even older iPhone?
geekette is right.  The whole "pretty much outdated" is a bunch of hogwash.  I've been using an iPhone 3GS (of 2008 vintage) for a couple years now.  And it works just fine.  Sure, it takes a few extra seconds to load a web page than a more modern phone, and it doesn't have Siri, but who cares?  IT WORKS FINE.  My brother has an iPhone 4S and sees little real benefit other than generally being a bit faster.  My other brother has a 5S and again, there's precious little advantage, at least the way the three of us use our phones.

I humbly suggest that an iPhone is a good place to start for your first smartphone.  Pick up an unlocked used 4S for $125 and give it a whirl on AirVoice or StraightTalk.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 03:48:29 PM »
I use Verizon Wireless, so I bought a used Motorola Droid Razr XT912 off Amazon and just use that for everything.  Honestly, you would probably be better off with an Android smartphone than an iPhone, because Apple has removed apps from the App Store that allow you to bypass carriers' blocks on functionality for your phone.  Verizon, for example, wants to charge me extra to use my phone for tethering and use it as a hotspot.  These are functions that are built into the device and I already pay for data, so I just use an app called PDANet/FoxFi to bypass the blocks.  You can't do that on an iPhone unless you jailbreak it, which is a pain in the neck.  I just paid $8 for the PDANet app and it saved me a lot of time and energy.

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
geekette is right.  The whole "pretty much outdated" is a bunch of hogwash.  I've been using an iPhone 3GS (of 2008 vintage) for a couple years now.  And it works just fine.  Sure, it takes a few extra seconds to load a web page than a more modern phone, and it doesn't have Siri, but who cares?  IT WORKS FINE.  My brother has an iPhone 4S and sees little real benefit other than generally being a bit faster.  My other brother has a 5S and again, there's precious little advantage, at least the way the three of us use our phones.

I humbly suggest that an iPhone is a good place to start for your first smartphone.  Pick up an unlocked used 4S for $125 and give it a whirl on AirVoice or StraightTalk.

I admit to being confused as to what to worry about or not, but when I've researched this it seems there are a lot of warnings out there about people buying iPhones that aren't paid off, or sellers then claiming they are stolen, etc etc.
Also, I've read that battery life can be something to consider for an older iPhone. Which is hard to find out how much it has been used, and hard to change out a battery.
These are the things that have scared me. I don't purchase a lot of stuff new except for food and under ware :) , but I'm wondering if this might be another place for me to buy new especially considering my lack of experience/knowledge with smartphones. That and I'm embarking on my continued travel soon & I feel like I don't have too much time for experimenting before I hit the road, and of course when I hit the road I'll be wanting it to work seamlessly for me.

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »
I use Verizon Wireless, so I bought a used Motorola Droid Razr XT912 off Amazon and just use that for everything.  Honestly, you would probably be better off with an Android smartphone than an iPhone, because Apple has removed apps from the App Store that allow you to bypass carriers' blocks on functionality for your phone.  Verizon, for example, wants to charge me extra to use my phone for tethering and use it as a hotspot.  These are functions that are built into the device and I already pay for data, so I just use an app called PDANet/FoxFi to bypass the blocks.  You can't do that on an iPhone unless you jailbreak it, which is a pain in the neck.  I just paid $8 for the PDANet app and it saved me a lot of time and energy.

wow, for me this pretty much seems like a different language you're speaking...
I'll try to look up some of these terms.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »

wow, for me this pretty much seems like a different language you're speaking...

I'll try to look up some of these terms.

Basically, what I am saying is that if you get an Android smartphone, you can tether it (attach it) to your laptop computer with the USB cable that comes with the phone and just use the phone's internet access through your laptop instead of using WiFi.  Or you could use the same app to turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot and use any the internet through it on any WiFi-capable device like a laptop, tablet computer etc.  Phone companies charge extra for these features that are built into the phone but with the PDANet/FoxFi app, you pay a one-time fee of $8 and then you can use your phone those ways forever without extra charges on your bill.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
$45/mo is not mustachian

surfhb

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
Also ask yourself if you really need a smart phone?    If you're like me and %80 of the population, you'll spend an ungodly amount of hours of your life glued to the screen for no reason what so ever.....guaranteed!  :)

I recently sold me iphone and bought a used dumb phone off CL for $20.    $27 a month for text and talking

I keep my iPad at home and use the WiFi for all my internet and App needs

It's so nice!!   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:13:11 PM by surfhb »

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »
$45/mo is not mustachian

Well, I'm asking for help so why don't you educate me on what I should do then?

I think I'm pretty frikken mustachian in most of my life, which is why I've been able to resign from my position and spend some time finding out where to settle down & buy a house (which I will buy in cash). This smartphone thing is a necessary evil for me at this time given the nature of my travels. It is also something I'm pretty uneducated about which is why I'm asking for help.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »
What about an older smartphone with an fm radio built in? So you can listen to radio while biking and not use data or have it saved to sd card? I have one and it's nice. I also like it for the gps which I have with offline maps. I get lost easy >.>

I don't play games one it really or use social media... nor do I surf the web often on it so I don't use a lot of data, well relative I guess, 700mb/month. But you can stay around $30/month for a smartphone these days fairly easy if you go light on the data usage.

edit: something like freedom pop's evo phone works well for me. I picked it up on a deals site for about $30 total for phone and use the free contract. It's my "play" phone since I can't make calls on it as well (bad data receptions sometimes) but it's "free" each month. I have a real phone to make calls as well and use the evo like a tablet mostly
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:24:08 PM by eyem »

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Also ask yourself if you really need a smart phone?    If you're like me and %80 of the population, you'll spend a godless amount of hours of your life glued to the screen for no reason what so ever.....guaranteed!  :)

I recently sold me iphone and bought a used dumb phone off CL for $20.    $27 a month for text and talking

I keep my iPad at home and use the WiFi for all my internet and App needs

It's so nice!!   

That's how I've been up till now but trust me it would be a GREAT benefit if I had a smartphone at this time. 
I'm about to embark on a cross-country trek & boy it would be nice to be able to check things like hotwire or expedia from the road.
For the last year of my travels by bike & car I've definitely seen where the technology is useful; having the ability to stop & check google maps when I'm not sure of where I am or where I want to go. There's also been a few time where I've gotten VERY lost while out recon-ing areas on my bicycle. I mean "in the middle of nowhere - frikken scary lost". Kinda would be nice to have some of the smartphone features that might save me someday.  Also, there's been a bunch of times when I've been out on the bike and maybe my memory has been jogged that I need to pick up some toilet paper, honey, batteries or something for home. I usually don't know where I am in relationship to anything so I ride home only to find out I was only a few blocks or a mile away from whatever I needed. But now I've gotta get in the car to go get something very close to where I just was on my bike.  That's happened a bunch in the past, & I kick myself each time saying "jeez, if i only had a smartphone, I was right down the street from "whatever it was i needed to get".
Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind i need a smartphone at this point in my life. Maybe when I find where to buy my house, settle down and homestead my land, I will either go back to a dumb phone and even cheaper charges or no phone at all, but right now I need one until I find where I want to live. I just wanted to see if some mustachians could help me do this in a mustachian way.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:24:28 PM by remaofaes »

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »
What about an older smartphone with an fm radio built in? So you can listen to radio while biking and not use data or have it saved to sd card? I have one and it's nice. I also like it for the gps which I have with offline maps. I get lost easy >.>

I don't play games one it really or use social media... nor do I surf the web often on it so I don't use a lot of data, well relative I guess, 700mb/month. But you can stay around $30/month for a smartphone these days fairly easy if you go light on the data usage.

edit: something like freedom pop's evo phone works well for me. I picked it up on a deals site for about $30 total for phone and use the free contract. It's my "play" phone since I can't make calls on it as well (bad data receptions sometimes) but it's "free" each month. I have a real phone to make calls as well and use the evo like a tablet mostly

I think this idea (as well as some other here) would be good if I was settled in one place. But, like I said I'm about to pack my stuff in a car with my bike and start traveling around again being essentially homeless. I think given that circumstance, I need something a bit more reliable and streamlined.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
$45/mo is not mustachian

Well, I'm asking for help so why don't you educate me on what I should do then?

I think I'm pretty frikken mustachian in most of my life, which is why I've been able to resign from my position and spend some time finding out where to settle down & buy a house (which I will buy in cash). This smartphone thing is a necessary evil for me at this time given the nature of my travels. It is also something I'm pretty uneducated about which is why I'm asking for help.

Look at I.P. Daley's superguide. Basically boils down to getting on an MVNO

P'tel
Republic Wireless
Ting
Consumer Cellular

all will give you a smartphone with data for under 45/mo many under 30/mo (including data) you just have to be willing to only got with 3G

sedura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Basically, what I am saying is that if you get an Android smartphone, you can tether it (attach it) to your laptop computer with the USB cable that comes with the phone and just use the phone's internet access through your laptop instead of using WiFi.  Or you could use the same app to turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot and use any the internet through it on any WiFi-capable device like a laptop, tablet computer etc.  Phone companies charge extra for these features that are built into the phone but with the PDANet/FoxFi app, you pay a one-time fee of $8 and then you can use your phone those ways forever without extra charges on your bill.

I don't think that's true anymore. On my iPhone, I just go to settings -> personal hotspot -> on.  It then gives me a network key and the name of the network to look for on my laptop. Easy peasy.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 10:38:45 PM »
Not all iPhones will, apparently, allow hotspot.  Mine's an unlocked former AT&T currently on Airvoice Wireless, yet if I try to do the hotspot thing, it tells me to call AT&T.  Nope.

Yeah, check out the Superguide, especially the cell phone providers section.  You may not need unlimited talk/text or a lot of data.

I.P. Daley isn't a fan of iPhones, but personally, I get what you mean about them being easy to use.  If you're not into tweaking, a droid can be confusing.  But an iPhone will cost more.

Buying off craigslist or ebay, may be dicey, but I do think the major resellers should be okay if you check reviews.  Or if you have a friend who always upgrades, maybe s/he will sell you the old one. 

Check coverage maps, too..

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
Moto E for $100 and Republic Wireless 3G service for $25/mo. The iPhone may be a little easier to use when first picking it up but do you really think it will be that hard to figure out an Android phone after using it for a few days?

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »
Re: battery life

Smartphones in general have sucky battery life, but it really depends on your usage. Before I stopped using it, my 6-7 yr old 1st gen iPhone's battery usually lasted me at least half a week, sometimes a little longer. That's with very few things/app running on it, and very little screen time use (maybe 1-2h a week). A lot of people with newer phones charge theirs daily because they browse more/run more apps/etc. The point is, old battery doesn't mean it wont' last -- it depends more on what you use. With any smartphone, there are things you can do to optimize your battery life. If you're planning on running lots of apps, browsing a lot, or in general having the screen on for long periods, then a longer lasting battery may be an important consideration, especially if you don't always have easy access to electrical outlet. On top of that, you can also have some spare portable battery things so you can charge on the go.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »
I'll try to sum things up here:

1) buy an older/cheaper smartphone.  I have been using an iPhone 3GS that I bought used on eBay.  And at the end of last week, I got a slightly-less-ancient Samsung Galaxy S Captivate.  Heck, while we're discussing it, since I passed my iphone on to my wife, her old phone (Huawei Prism, similar in specs to an iPhone 3GS) is available for sale.  I'll sell it to you for $20. :)  Unlocked, too, so you can use it any GSM carrier (t-mobile, AT&T in the US, and if you go overseas, you can pick up a SIM card for a local provider and it'll work fine).  PM if interested.
2) Sign up with an MVNO.  They're cell phone companies that piggy-back on the bigger carriers' networks, at a drastically reduced price.  I personally use AirVoice.  Windypig suggested P'tel, Republic Wireless, Ting, and Consumer Cellular.
3) Get a cheap plan.  I'm on AirVoice's $10/mo prepaid plan ($0.04/minute for calls, $0.02/text, $0.06/MB of data)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:44 PM »
As someone who has owned both an iPhone and an Android, I prefer Androids.  I had iPhones with two different service providers (AT&T and Verizon) and both of them dropped calls like it was their job.  I also had a terrible time pulling up data, particularly while traveling.  The worst part was when we moved into our condo I couldn't make phone calls from inside my own home.  I got an S4 last year and haven't looked back.  Never drops calls even when I have low bars, quick on the data. 

/$.02

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
used phones
www.swappa.com

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
I still use an iPhone 3Gs, and I am very happy with it. I just replaced the screen myself for $10 (parts and tools included), and it is good to go for another few years. Mind you, I don't have a data plan and only subscribe to talk and text, so I only use the smartphone features when i am connected to wifi, which is pretty much most my time, be it at home, the office, shops, library, etc. The rest of the time, i can live without the internet. As for not getting lost which is one of my major flaw even in my own city, I just use a refurbished GPS that cost me $50, it has free lifetime maps and it is small enough to carry around wherever I go, even on my bike.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »

I don't think that's true anymore. On my iPhone, I just go to settings -> personal hotspot -> on.  It then gives me a network key and the name of the network to look for on my laptop. Easy peasy.

You must have a jailbroken phone.  The major carriers all block the use of tethering or hotspot functioning on smartphones unless you pay them extra for it.  PDANet is a work-around that doesn't require you to jailbreak the phone, but the App Store rejected the app because it violates carrier terms of service, so it's only available on Google's Play Store for Android devices.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 03:54:41 PM »

You must have a jailbroken phone.  The major carriers all block the use of tethering or hotspot functioning on smartphones unless you pay them extra for it.  PDANet is a work-around that doesn't require you to jailbreak the phone, but the App Store rejected the app because it violates carrier terms of service, so it's only available on Google's Play Store for Android devices.

My iPhone 3GS is locked but I was able to use it as a hot spot, as Sedura says, when I was tied to a data plan.

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
so, basically if I've got this right:
in order to have the ability to switch or try different providers I need to make sure I get an "unlocked" phone (which seems to be harder than getting one tied to a network)?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »
I'm on Ting with a used Iphone 4 and Iphone 5.  The iphone 4 was $90 from Glyde, the 5 somewhat more.

Now the 5s and 5c are available for the Ting network.  There is a Ting referral thread, you use the last person's referral link and you get $25.  Leave your link and when it is used you get $50.  I went a couple months before I had a bill to pay!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/official-ting-referral-thread/

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »
in order to have the ability to switch or try different providers I need to make sure I get an "unlocked" phone (which seems to be harder than getting one tied to a network)?
yes, you'll need an unlocked phone, but they are easy to come by. Besides that, there are three types of networks, and phones generally only work on one, so you need to pick a phone that works on your network of choice. AT& T and tmobile are GSM, sprint is CDMA, and I forget what verizon is. So if you want to use a phone on AT&T's network, you'll need a GSM phone.

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
yes, you'll need an unlocked phone, but they are easy to come by. Besides that, there are three types of networks, and phones generally only work on one, so you need to pick a phone that works on your network of choice. AT& T and tmobile are GSM, sprint is CDMA, and I forget what verizon is. So if you want to use a phone on AT&T's network, you'll need a GSM phone.

Awesome, many thanks zolotiyeruki! And many thanks to everyone who's helped me in this thread!!!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet...

If GPS/maps/places is the only thing you need a smartphone for, a Garmin GPS will run you $50-maybe 200, one time, no data plan. They come with lifetime maps, the higher-end ones have traffic (there are some even higher end ones in the 300-400 range, but I think those just tend to have larger screens, etc?). If GPS+text+call is all you need, this is your most cost-efficient route.

Obviously, a smartphone also allows you to also search the web for information, check email, read MMM forums, waste time playing games, and so forth. My personal opinion, having chosen a ~1yr old model for my first smartphone that I have just upgraded 3 years later...and this is not as badass as some, I know...If you plan to keep it a while, just get a modern phone, because while it might work fine/great when you first get it, but you start losing functionality after 2 years or so, and become frustrating. Some apps don't install, others don't run well. If we're talking about a used model of that age, chances are the battery will not hold charge as well, the electronics will wear out and lose efficiency (mine heated up like crazy sometimes, which damaged the screen--I didn't realize what the problem was until there was a half-inch black blob on it). I know many on here won't agree, but that has been my experience.

sedura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 07:50:57 PM »

Nope. I just have a plain old AT&T iPhone 5. One day, I looked and a hotspot showed up in my settings. I was ecstatic :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:14 AM »
AT&T took of the requirement of having a special plan to tether a while back (when they changed how they handled plans)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »
Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet...

This is exactly what I'v been doing, and recommended. As long as you keep your maps updated, you can find your way around, look for an ATM, gas station, drugstore, nearby restaurants, with a $50 GPS.