Author Topic: View on "digital nomads"?  (Read 3451 times)

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
View on "digital nomads"?
« on: March 03, 2014, 08:53:44 PM »
Not sure if I got the name right, by digital nomads I meant the people who are constantly travelling and blogs about it. (seems to be the way they make $$)

For example: so-many-places, sarah somewhere, etc.

It is my understanding that these people adhere to many of the MMM views, ie, debt free, save $$, spend less, "Early Retirement".

They spend most of their time travelling the world (doing what they love), sustain themselves via passive-ish income, probably not investments, at least that's not the impression I got.

So what do you guys think of this group? Do you consider them to be MMM practitioners?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: View on "digital nomads"?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
Not sure if I got the name right, by digital nomads I meant the people who are constantly travelling and blogs about it. (seems to be the way they make $$)
So what do you guys think of this group? Do you consider them to be MMM practitioners?
Billy & Akaisha Kaderli have been at it for over 20 years, and the Terhorsts for... nearly 30?  Can that be right?

Jeremy & Winnie have recently followed in their footsteps.  Paula Pant is also doing it.

Seems to work just fine.

RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
https://sites.google.com/site/paulvicgroup/
GoCurryCracker.com
AffordAnything.com

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:17 AM »
Check out the "makingitanywhere" tribe.

A lot of them also do web dev, marketing, branding, coaching, copywriting, etc. I'm impressed.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »
Billy & Akaisha Kaderli have been at it for over 20 years, and the Terhorsts for... nearly 30?  Can that be right?

Jeremy & Winnie have recently followed in their footsteps.  Paula Pant is also doing it.

Seems to work just fine.

RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
https://sites.google.com/site/paulvicgroup/
GoCurryCracker.com
AffordAnything.com

Some of these that Nords referenced are FI, and don't rely on their blogs to generate money.  Others he referenced do rely on that, and still need a job to fund their travels.

As more examples: The Bumfuzzle folks travel around and are already FI, the Sprinter Life folks relay on an online job (running his online ecommerce website), the Discover Share Inspire folks rely on pushing their products and coaching to fund their travels.

There's a mix of travelers who are already FI and living on their FIRE income (and blog for the pleasure or other reasons?), and travelers who have to continue working because they aren't FI or even close, but just love the travel lifestyle.

Were you looking for more of the former, or the latter?

(And there are others who are a mix - have saved up some, are living on that, aren't relying on online income, but are only traveling for a short period, from months to years, and then are planning on going back to work.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:23:18 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.