Author Topic: Venting into attic - want to vent outside  (Read 3499 times)

Bettis

• Stubble
Venting into attic - want to vent outside
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:48:02 AM »
A while back, I contacted Mass Save for a free energy audit.  They noticed I had very little insulation in the attic but they noticed that I have a bathroom vent, a kitchen above stove vent, as well as a basement vent.  All of these vent into the attic and not outside.  I do have soffits but the Mass Save contractors(75% rebate up to $2K) will not do the insulation work until I get them vented to the outside and they do not do that service.  I assume it creates a moisture/mold issue by not venting to the outside so I agree with the idea.

What type of contractor does stuff like this?  I am not very handy so a DIY job is not possible with the risk involved.  I know to get multiple quotes but has anyone gotten this done and do they know around what it costs?  It's likely a must do no matter the cost because the insulation will cut the heating and AC bills down quite a bit but I'd like to know what I'm in for.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
Re: Venting into attic - want to vent outside
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »
What sort of roof do you have? Depending on that, the bathroom and kitchen vents may be quite easy. I did a kitchen vent with my dad in a few hours with pretty minimal skill requirements (disclaimer - Dad's pretty awesome with DIY, but I can tell when it's a difficult job and this one wasn't really). I know you said you don't feel skilled enough to do it, but both of these are ones I would ask a handy friend to help with on the offer of a carton (the defacto currency for mates helping out in our culture, not sure if it is the same for you).
On the basement issue, can't help with that one sorry.

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
I had the bathroom fan vented outside in my old condo.  I used Thumbtack to ask contractors for quotes and then had several stop by to actually see what was needed.  I've had pretty good luck with Thumbtack so far.

Since I live in a condo I couldn't change the outside of the unit, so the vent duct had to go up against an existing vent.  Probably not the best solution, but I didn't have to try to deal with the HOA.

I also had this person put in two ceiling fans, but I think just the venting would probably have cost around $150.  It might be a little higher depending on how far away your vent location is and if you have other projects for this person to do.

Good luck!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:24:28 AM »
A while back, I contacted Mass Save for a free energy audit.  They noticed I had very little insulation in the attic but they noticed that I have a bathroom vent, a kitchen above stove vent, as well as a basement vent.  All of these vent into the attic and not outside.  I do have soffits but the Mass Save contractors(75% rebate up to $2K) will not do the insulation work until I get them vented to the outside and they do not do that service.  I assume it creates a moisture/mold issue by not venting to the outside so I agree with the idea.

What type of contractor does stuff like this?  I am not very handy so a DIY job is not possible with the risk involved.  I know to get multiple quotes but has anyone gotten this done and do they know around what it costs?  It's likely a must do no matter the cost because the insulation will cut the heating and AC bills down quite a bit but I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Talk again to Mass Save.  We had the same situation and the Mass Save contractor did the venting work (with a partial rebate on it).  My understanding was the issue is that they won't do other work in the attic such as the insulation, without you agreeing to doing the venting (but that they can do it).

We vented, installed insulation in the attic (although they messed that up some), sealed gaps in attic including around chimney, added a cover for our box fan, added insulation to the attic access, door insulation, and got LED bulbs for all hardwired lighting (not freestanding lamps).  Cost about $450 I think.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:27:41 PM by CommonCents »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »
It's pretty basic contracting work - obviously you want somebody who knows what they're doing since they're making a penetration in the house.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »
I had a roofer do this.  He only charged $75/vent plus cost of supplies. I  had called the roofer because the one exhaust that was vented through the roof leaked.  He said it had been a DIY and the person had not sealed it with a proper gasket.