Author Topic: Vehicle advice needed: must be able to tow at least 2000lbs, safely  (Read 2203 times)

Closer2theSKY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sadly, my 2001 toyota tacoma, with 210,000 miles, is starting to need more work than I can justify. Specifically, a leaf spring appears to be about to break and the entire frame is completely rusted. There was a recall but I missed the opportunity, unfortunately, and don't think I can take advantage of it at this point. Regardless, I think it's just time to replace my 17 year old vehicle.

Today, we test drove a number of small SUV's (VW Tiguan, Mitsubishi Outlander, Kia Sportage, Jeep Latitude, and a few others). They all had 12,000-25,000 miles and just felt so unnaturally new. Ultimately, I am seeking advice from fellow mustachians for vehicles that maximize the following:
Safe for towing 2000+ lbs.
As good of gas mileage as possible.
Potential to reach high mileage.
4WD/AWD not priorities but would be nice.

Thanks!!!  Lisa

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Vehicle advice needed: must be able to tow at least 2000lbs, safely
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »
Would not recommend the Tiguan. We had one and it needed constant (COSTLY) maintenance. It also only takes premium gas, in addition to it's horrid gas mileage. I wouldn't even look at a used one.

I would also rule out the Jeep due to poor reliability.

Sportage is a good reliable choice. The new "Adventure" Rav4 can tow up to 3500lbs with a special package, 2900lbs without, but it's brand new and not the best mustachian choice. Perhaps a used Highlander or Pilot would also work - although I only think certain models/years can tow 2klbs.

My personal choice would be the Mazda CX-5. You can find plenty used and they don't seem to command as much as of a premium as Toyota and Honda (but more than Kia or Hyundai). I would also consider a Hyundai Santa Fe (comes in two configurations for the more recent model, "Sport" which is a 5-seater, and the regular one which is a 7-seater).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
Depending on year/options, a Santa Fe may be much better for towing. It looks like the CX5 is rated for 200lbs regardless of year, but the Santa Fe can be up to 3500-5000 depending on year/option.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »
Depending on year/options, a Santa Fe may be much better for towing. It looks like the CX5 is rated for 200lbs regardless of year, but the Santa Fe can be up to 3500-5000 depending on year/option.

I had a 2009 Santa Fe, not a bad car, reliable good mpg, and a decent value.  My only gripe was it was smaller on the inside than what you expected. I kind of feel that is pretty common in the crossover segment.

All your suggestions are fine save anything by ze germans of course.  There are about a billion crossover SUVs that are good on MPG and fit your bill.  Currently I drive an FCA product which has been just fine. Yes it is no Honda on reliability, but its also about 1/2 the price.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:33 AM »
Get a minivan. Typically they have tow capacities around 3,000.  Highway mileage nears 30, and they are incredibly customizable inside with the removal or storage of seats.

My vote is for a Chrysler product (dodge caravan, Chrysler town and country, or Chrysler Pacifica) as they have stow n go seating for both the 2nd and 3rd row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reynolds531

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:27:14 PM »
All four of the vehicles in your original post are resounding NOs.

I would go Tacoma again or maybe frontier.

Reddleman

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
I'd second the Minivan idea.  Toyota Sienna would be a great option, and it came in an AWD version.