Author Topic: Vegan to save money  (Read 7910 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Vegan to save money
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
I've got nothing in particular against drinking nut water and bean juice.  Just don't call it milk.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2019, 02:04:20 PM »
I've got nothing in particular against drinking nut water and bean juice.  Just don't call it milk.

This seems like a really weird hard line to take.
What should we call coconut milk??
Is vegan ice cream also unacceptable?
What about non-dairy creamer?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2019, 02:11:52 PM »

This seems like a really weird hard line to take.
What should we call coconut milk??
Is vegan ice cream also unacceptable?
What about non-dairy creamer?

I was literally writing up this same example. Coconut milk has been used for ages and a quick google search didn't give me any indications that it wasn't called 'milk' at the time. The same is true for soy milk that's just an everyday product in many countries, not some latest veganism fad.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2019, 02:20:46 PM »

that ship has sailed. I myself was drinking soy milk in the 80's - and I was still drinking regular milk and cheese, etc. I was just sampling.

checking up on wiki:

The first non-dairy milk—almond milk—was created in the Levant around the 13th century[16] and had spread to England by the 14th.[17] Soymilk was mentioned in various European letters from China beginning in the 17th century.[18] "Soy milk" entered the English language (as "soy-bean milk") in an 1897 USDA report.[19][20] Li Yuying established Caséo-Sojaïne, the first soy milk "dairy", in Colombes, France, in 1910; he received the first British and American patents for soy milk's manufacture in 1912 and 1913.[14] J.A. Chard began production of "Soy Lac" in New York City, United States, in 1917.[14]

milk has also been used to describe creamy looking or feeling substances for washing as well as a fairly broadly used verb:

Synonyms: Verb

abuse, capitalize (on), cash in (on), exploit, impose (on or upon), leverage, pimp, play (on or upon), use, work

No one was objecting to "soy milk" in the 80s. It was still something weird to the US palate and consciousness. Now that it is giving dairy a run for it's money - in  a very literal sense - now they want to clap back on the term milk.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »

that ship has sailed. I myself was drinking soy milk in the 80's - and I was still drinking regular milk and cheese, etc. I was just sampling.

checking up on wiki:

The first non-dairy milk—almond milk—was created in the Levant around the 13th century[16] and had spread to England by the 14th.[17] Soymilk was mentioned in various European letters from China beginning in the 17th century.[18] "Soy milk" entered the English language (as "soy-bean milk") in an 1897 USDA report.[19][20] Li Yuying established Caséo-Sojaïne, the first soy milk "dairy", in Colombes, France, in 1910; he received the first British and American patents for soy milk's manufacture in 1912 and 1913.[14] J.A. Chard began production of "Soy Lac" in New York City, United States, in 1917.[14]

milk has also been used to describe creamy looking or feeling substances for washing as well as a fairly broadly used verb:

Synonyms: Verb

abuse, capitalize (on), cash in (on), exploit, impose (on or upon), leverage, pimp, play (on or upon), use, work

No one was objecting to "soy milk" in the 80s. It was still something weird to the US palate and consciousness. Now that it is giving dairy a run for it's money - in  a very literal sense - now they want to clap back on the term milk.

Yep, this is only an issue because the dairy lobby is pissed.

Meanwhile nut milks have been called milks since far before many cultures would dare to drink cow juice because it was so dangerous.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
The term milk of magnesia was first used by Charles Henry Phillips in 1872 for a suspension of magnesium hydroxide formulated at about 8%w/v.[13] It was sold under the brand name Phillips' Milk of Magnesia for medicinal usage.

Where is the outrage here??

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2019, 02:45:17 AM »
I forgot my favorite yesterday: why is no one getting outraged over peanut BUTTER? There's no butter in there.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »
Don't forget about the blood and pus! Those are the candy and chocolate sprinkles on the sunday!

I've got nothing against vegans. I'm being edged closer and closer to that state myself by The Wench. But this particular line of accounting is just irritating. All food has some nasties in it. Weevils in flour, insect eggs in beans, parasites in fish. 

If blood and pus are someone's personal Rubicon; cool. Mine's worms. Both are valid, but neither is superior to the other.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
I forgot my favorite yesterday: why is no one getting outraged over peanut BUTTER? There's no butter in there.

Ik it a stupid word indeed. In Dutch we say pindakaas/peanut cheese. Maybe better to call it peanutt paste. That is what we call it if it made from hazelnuts.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »

Ik it a stupid word indeed. In Dutch we say pindakaas/peanut cheese. Maybe better to call it peanutt paste. That is what we call it if it made from hazelnuts.

That was the exact reason I love the example. In Dutch 'butter' is a protected term, so you're not allowed to say butter to things that do not contain butter. So we opted for the logical replacement word choice of... cheese.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!