Author Topic: Vanguard Question  (Read 2514 times)

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
Vanguard Question
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »
I'm interested in investing with Vanguard and have no idea of where to start.  You know how I.P. Daley has pulled together a bunch of information on different cell phones and plans, well I'm wondering if there is something like that for Vanguard?  Please be kind and don't punch me too hard.  I don't know a lot about this stuff but feel like I can figure it out with some direction.  Thanks.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Vanguard Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
Depending on what you are trying to do, you could just do some reading on the vanguard website, in particular checking out their asset allocation online tool to help you decide what to invest in. You can also give them a call to say you want to open an account and ask for advice from the person on the other line. Your question is vague enough that it is not clear whether you are new to investing all together. If so, check out JL Collins stock market series to educate yourself on the fundamentals.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 11:39:02 PM »
http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

He has a book about the web series if you prefer reading books (it's on his website).

But simple idea for Vanguard investing if you are decades away from retiring - here (but still go read the series!!):
http://jlcollinsnh.com/2011/06/08/how-i-failed-my-daughter-and-a-simple-path-to-wealth/

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 11:42:56 PM »
I'm interested in investing with Vanguard and have no idea of where to start.  You know how I.P. Daley has pulled together a bunch of information on different cell phones and plans, well I'm wondering if there is something like that for Vanguard?  Please be kind and don't punch me too hard.  I don't know a lot about this stuff but feel like I can figure it out with some direction.  Thanks.

Yes.  You just read this series of posts (or his book), and you're set:
http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

:)

EDIT: Apparently I was three minutes too slow.  Gogo FG!  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:07:33 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »
As far as actually setting up an account, Vanguard has excellent customer service. Give them a call and they'll be happy to set you up and get you started.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 08:58:19 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!