Author Topic: Vanguard Phishing or am I being paranoid  (Read 3493 times)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Vanguard Phishing or am I being paranoid
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:11:28 AM »
Just tried to sign into my Vanguard from my work computer (typed in the address) and a screen popped up saying my account has been locked and the following:

To restore access, you must:

Click here to send a one-time unlock code—valid for 12 hours—to your registered e-mail address.

Retrieve your unlock code and log on to vanguard.com again.

Enter your unlock code, then choose new security questions and answers.

I clicked on the send the one time unlock code about an hour ago and still have not received anything in my e-mail. I can access vanguard fine on my phone. Should I be concerned or am I being paranoid?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Vanguard Phishing or am I being paranoid
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
You're probably being paranoid. You typed vanguard.com into your address bar, at which point you got this lock-out notice. Either it's legit or your computer has some sort of malware that is hijacking your connections to vanguard.com. The latter is certainly possible, but it sounds like a pretty sophisticated attack. What happens when you try to log on from a different computer (not your phone)?

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
You're probably being paranoid. You typed vanguard.com into your address bar, at which point you got this lock-out notice. Either it's legit or your computer has some sort of malware that is hijacking your connections to vanguard.com. The latter is certainly possible, but it sounds like a pretty sophisticated attack. What happens when you try to log on from a different computer (not your phone)?

I'll get back to you on that when I get home from work, thanks for the reply

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
I get that message at my HSA online site sometimes. I just close out the browser and start over - that's worked every time. I think it's a browser glitch, not a site-specific glitch, but sites respond with these multi-level security checks.

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 12:19:19 PM »
When you get into the account, set up dual factor authentication to head off any future worries.

(They added the option late last year, I believe)