Author Topic: Vanguard Personal Advisor Services  (Read 2498 times)

purple monkey

• Bristles
Vanguard Personal Advisor Services
« on: May 27, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
Hello all,
Is there anyone here who can advise me on whether the Personal Advisor Services are worth the 0.3%?
I have about 15 years until retirement and am opening a new IRA account.
Thoughts?
TIA

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Vanguard Personal Advisor Services
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
It's probably not necessary, but it could be a useful way to talk to someone about your goals, etc. You could also accomplish that pretty well here to be honest. Their Target Retirement Funds are a good way to get their automatic portfolio management.

Gumbo1978

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:58:38 AM »
I just recently qualified for Voyager Select and used the meeting with an advisor option.  I figured they'd sell me on the advisor services, but it never came up.  Instead I was given a very simple stock/bond portfolio which the advisor said should take care of itself.  I could see where advisor services would come in handy more when you are withdrawing your money in retirement, but you could probably handle it yourself until then.

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »
It's a very reasonable fee in the world of investment management.

The best thing is you know the funds they are investing in and they are top-notch, low fees, and a reputable company.

Many people here will denounce anyone who would pay someone to do something you should be able to learn yourself.

Truth be told, maybe you try out the advisor for a few years, and once you realize how simple the strategy really is and also commit to being un-emotional and disciplined with your investments, then you can take over and quite easily replicate what they do.

If you are rich and prefer people to mow your lawn, do your laundry, clean your house, and cook your food, then 0.3% is a very reasonable price for what they are taking care of for you... and far cheaper than most other services out there which do the same thing.