Author Topic: vanguard financial advisor?  (Read 2112 times)

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
vanguard financial advisor?
« on: January 31, 2017, 02:04:23 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has used the free vanguard financial advisor?
I see that they offer one once you get over a certain amount in total funds. Is it any good? What will they cover, just their suggestions? Taxes saving ideas?
Any short reviews?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: vanguard financial advisor?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:07:07 AM »
I know some Fi blogger called them and took their suggestion I think it was jlcollins or samurai. Basically the conclusion was just invest in vtsax BC they built basically the same ratio at higher expense.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:02:17 AM »
I did, a year ago, when I first retired and I wanted to move a bunch of IRA's into Vanguard to consolidate. I had a hodge podge of funds in Vanguard already in taxable. I was very satisfied, but my needs were modest. He hand-held me through getting the IRAs transferred, putting the right things in taxable vs. nontaxable, minimizing the taxes on the sales involved in setting up the taxable, minimizing the taxes going forward on the taxable side, which was an index fund setup that mimics the configuration in the "Retirement in 20**" funds, setting up funds in taxable and non tax for rebalancing.

I have a set it and forget it configuration now that I can rebalance myself as needed. A new advisor, also free, checked in, in January this year. She rubber-stamped what I had done the past year and answered some questions I had about withdrawals I was going to start taking this year. Also free.

So far nobody has tried to upsell me on any fee-heavy funds, or other financial products. Nobody has suggested the pay advisor option.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
I have a similar "account executive" at Fidelity bc based on my balance there.  They offer to meet at least once a year and do a general look over the portfolio.  They even include my TSP funds which they don't manage.  Fidelity had their in-house attorney look over my 10 y.o. trust documents for free to see if anything needed updating.

No hard sell, but always an inquiry as to whether we are interested in having Fidelity manage our accounts for a %.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!