Author Topic: Vanguard Equivalent in UK - which of these please?  (Read 4107 times)

mmcg33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vanguard Equivalent in UK - which of these please?
« on: April 16, 2018, 04:06:50 AM »
Hi there,

I'm based in the UK, and looking to find a way of investing in the Vanguard Fund mentioned on MMM, and 'The Simple Guide to Wealth' book by JL Collins, which I've just read.

The fund mentioned is the VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund).

I currently invest through Hargreaves Lansdown in the UK, and doing a quick search of their available funds, I've found many Vanguard funds available to invest in.

A full list can be found here:
http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results?investment=vanguard
(or just go to Funds in the main nav, then search for Vanguard).

My question is, can anyone tell me which of the available funds is the equivalent, or as close as possible to the VTSAX one?

Would it be this one?
Vanguard US Equity Index (Accumulation)(GBP)
http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/v/vanguard-us-equity-index-accumulation

Or would I go for the global one?
Vanguard Global Equity (Accumulation)(GBP)
http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/v/vanguard-global-equity-accumulation

I'd be very grateful for any advice please. Looking to invest in asap! :-)

Thanks
Mark
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:55:07 AM by mmcg33 »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vanguard Equivalent in UK - which of these please?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:30:57 AM »
You might want to post on the UK taxes board - we mostly don't talk about taxes ;-)

Seems like most UK posters go for VWRL or one of the various lifestrategy options (VLS80 for example.) Although Vanguard offer a US market tracker (your first link), I don't see any benefit to choosing that over a global market tracker.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:39:28 AM »
Mark, what you need to do is find the breakdown of the holdings within the relevant funds. The UK Vanguard links you posted include top 10 holdings info and see which matches the breakdown of the VTSAX best.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund is a 'whole US index', while Global Equity fund is 'whole world'. 

So the quick answer to your question is that the US fund you posted is closer to VTSAX than the Global fund.

But, you are a new poster, I'll try to ask this politely - are you asking the right question?  Why do you want to invest in US when you are in the UK?  This is going to expose you to currency risk.  Do you have UK holdings too?  Are you clear on why the advice to invest in VTSAX is right for a reader in the US but might not be right for a reader in the UK?

Come over to the UK Tax board - we cheat and have non-tax threads there too.  The people there might be able to help more.

Cross posted with cerat0n1a :-)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:31:09 AM by MarcherLady »

mmcg33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply cerat0n1a and MarcherLady...

I do have UK holdings yes, but sounds like it wasn't going to be as straightforward as I thought!

I'll have have a look at the UK Tax Board when I get a sec then.

Thanks
m