Author Topic: Vanguard always this slow?  (Read 12610 times)

Late_Bloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Counting every penny.
Vanguard always this slow?
« on: December 30, 2016, 05:57:19 AM »
To make a long story short, we needed to withdraw 3k from our Vanguard IRA when we closed on our house earlier this month. The account is in my wife's name, and she submitted a request for the amount to be wired to our checking account. That was back on December 16th. On December 20th they deposited 0.5 and 0.45 cents. On December 21st they deposited 0.50 cents. And until now, nothing. I asked my  wife about it and she said after speaking with them on the phone that this is a process of account verification. So my question is, why is this taking so long? She was initially told it took anywhere from 24 to 48 hours to process. 10 days since they messed with our checking account, and 14 days since the initial request and they have yet to deposit the amount requested.
We've never withdrawn money from an investment account before this so I'm unclear as to how long this should take.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:04:32 AM by Late_Bloomer »

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
Re: Vanguard always this slow?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:32:22 AM »
The process should be fast if your bank account was already linked to your vanguard account. Those tiny deposits are to verify it was your account. Your wife now needs to log into Vanguard and find where they want her to tell them the amount they deposited. Once your account is linked you should be good to go to send/receive money.

When I first linked my account to Vanguard it took around 10 days calendar, I don't remember how many of those were business days. After that process it should only take 1-2 days to transfer funds.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:33:33 AM »
If you didn't already have a checking account linked up, then up to two weeks (10 business days) is standard while they verify things on their end. Once the account is linked and verified, around 3 days mostly for ACH transfers (which is pretty much the best as it's free also). Like Heroes said, the amount will need to be verified by them from your wife (it's usually an odd number like 37 cents or something...) Did y'all do this and initiate the actual transfer yet?

I've got an Ally account and they just recently announced their transfers will take 1 business day starting in 2017, so the processes across the board should become faster within the next few years.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 07:13:10 AM »
I didnt ever have those issues BUT i did change about a year ago to receive checks instead and for me, I like that way better and seems to be quicker. Everytime I seem to do the transfers Vanguard seemed to there part right but the banks seemed to screw things up. I just did a check request this morning, now watch that take a shit.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 08:36:53 AM »
Also they're usually busier at the end of the year. More people trying to do last-minute year-end transactions.