Author Topic: Value in LinkedIN Job Seeker account?  (Read 4957 times)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
Value in LinkedIN Job Seeker account?
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
Does anyone have opinions to share on the value of paying for a LinkedIN "Job Seeker" account?

The choices are basic ($20.99/mo), regular ($30.99/mo) and plus ($60.99/mo). The basic doesn't offer the ability send InMail so it seems pointless but the Plus has a $30 premium to go from 3 InMail messages per month to 10, so it's the regular account that I'm considering.

I've been with my current employer for over 10 years and feel that it's time to move on. A shorter commute is one of a number of reasons I'd like to make a change.

If it makes the difference in getting the right job, the $30 (times however many months it takes), is pretty much inconsequential, but I would still appreciate opinions on how helpful it can be. There are also downsides to consider.

Although nobody from my current company is in my network, the change will still be pretty obvious, I think. I often get requests from co-workers which I ignore. There's also the question of how it appears to a prospective employer - does the fact that you're looking reduce your appeal or negotiating power?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Value in LinkedIN Job Seeker account?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
I had an upgraded account for a month or so for free. I noticed no additional benefit.  I did receive a lot more e-mail from LinkedIn.  I happily cancelled the "upgrade" before the charges would have started. 

iamadummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
same here. got the free account for a month, then cancelled.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 02:14:11 PM »
I did the trial too, a few years ago. I wasn't looking seriously though, so I didn't put it through its paces.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
I've yet to see the value or point of LinkedIn except to be able to say 'are you on linkedin?'

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »
I think it has little value, because recruiters can search for people whether they have upgraded or not. Now careerbuilder is a different story. Does your HR dept search resumes on career builder? Mine does so I can't put my resume there, although I found it to be the most useful. But now I have linkedin connections to temp agencies directly, which is much more stealthy.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
I have not yet tried my free month trial of premium. I think LinkedIn is a great networking tool. Although I do question how some people have so many endorsements, I have to believe there are a lot of fake endorsers out there or some way to game the system.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 07:39:40 PM »
My mom endorses me.

Sarita

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
HR here--- I work for a large international NGO, and our recruitment team heavily relies on LinkedIn for proactively sourcing passive candidates. What's most helpful for a job seeker is seeing who you know that may have contacts in your targeted company.  Connections matter, and help one to get informational interviews, or at the very least a look at your resume when hundreds may have come in.  I frequently get people connecting their way to me, and as a courtesy to our mutual connection, I always take time to consider their credentials.

I'd say try the upgrade for a month and see what you think.

Sarita

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »
Sorry-- forgot to answer this: "There's also the question of how it appears to a prospective employer - does the fact that you're looking reduce your appeal or negotiating power?".

The answer is no, in most cases.  People look.  You've been at the same place for 10 years--- people will understand why you are looking.  If you are a competitive candidate, they will be really glad you applied.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts @Sarita, and others, they're helpful.

@mozar, I'm happy for you. If mom won't endorse us, who will?

It turns out that although I had used a one-month free trial a while back, I guess enough time had elapsed that I was able to do another one, so that's what I'm doing for now.