Author Topic: Valentine's dinner ideas?  (Read 2342 times)

ohsnap

• Bristles
Valentine's dinner ideas?
« on: February 01, 2018, 05:02:18 PM »
I'd like to have a romantic Valentine's dinner at home, instead of fighting the crowds and paying the crazy $ to have a night out.

Last year we did steak, but hubby does the grilling and I'd rather do something nice for him this year.   In another recent year, I made a delicious chicken w/ hazelnut cream sauce served over pasta.  But that was last minute assembly, so a lot of work on my part to pull it together when we were ready to eat.

So what I'm ideally looking for is something that I can do most of the prep for early in the day, that will come together easily when we're ready to relax in the evening, but will still be delicious and special.  I don't mind paying a little extra for special ingredients for this meal, since we don't often splurge (e.g., shrimp).   Do you have ideas for me please?

Modified to add: I have a slow cooker...maybe something good in that?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:04:28 PM by ohsnap »

Blackeagle

• Bristles
Re: Valentine's dinner ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 05:48:02 PM »
I think you're on the right track with the slow cooker.  Do all the prep work earlier in the day, put it on to cook, then come back to it when you're ready to eat.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
This year it will be lobster from Aldi - broiled. Easy, quick and not an everyday indulgence:)
He will steam the small, organic potatoes - just add butter and salt, he likes sour cream and chives on the side.
Veggie will be either frozen sweet corn (5 min-microwave or stove top) or something green. We like things like spinach - 5 minutes tops, seasoned with nutmeg and white pepper and unsalted butter, or garlic and olive oil, or Brussel sprouts in butter or perhaps a green salad with fruit and nuts.

Dessert will be homemade chocolate cup - mousse - Rachel Ray has an awesome recipe. I like to add coffee liqueur, he likes his with orange liquor. Alternatively, I could do vanilla ice cream served with brandied cherries - either one will be served with homemade whipping cream. But, Mr. R. is already hinting he'd like the chocolate cup mousse with dark chocolate - his favorite.
The chocolate mousse I can make a day ahead and the whipping cream earlier in the day and store it in the fridge in a fancy cup or glass. The brandied cherries are a specialty food (jar) item from a food catalog - expensive, but oh so good.
Just heat up, don't cook the brandied cherries and pour them over the ice cream - goes well with pistachio ice cream too.

Voila - a fancy, special dinner without a lot of fuss - so we can both enjoy the evening with a good bottle of wine.

He can deal with the music and the wine - I'll do the rest. We can sip wine and talk while we cook.
Good food calls for a good presentation - so there will be candles, crystal, and fancy china.
He brings me flowers - or more accurately, whatever garden greenery I ask for to plant this spring, which may or may not make a good table decoration.

Enjoy your Valentine's Day!

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
Salmon is good for a romantic dinner. It's just expensive and special enough to make the meal seem fancy, but a nice salmon filet is quick to cook and almost foolproof. You can marinate it all day in something like a honey teriyaki glaze, pull it out of the oven, broil or bake for a few minutes, and it's done.

It pairs well with rice and any vegetable. Baked sweet potatoes, stir-fried broccoli with sliced almonds, glazed carrots are all things I've done in the past. I also recently discovered spaghetti squash, which lives up to its name. It miraculously turns into a kind of angel-hair pasta when baked.

As for dessert, I'm partial to homemade creme brulee. Just needs some cream and a cooking torch.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 06:49:39 AM »
Blackeagle, the problem is that most slow-cooker recipes are casserole-ish and not very special.  But I did think of one that I've made in the past that my husband called his "favorite pork" - I rarely make it because it's a lot of trouble early in the day, but maybe this is the right time to make it again.

FireLane, we like salmon, too, and you're right, it's so quick and easy if I make simple sides.

Rosy, thank you for all the ideas - it sounds like you're going to have a lovely dinner!  Do you buy the lobster frozen at Aldi?  Is this your mousse recipe?  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/decadent-duo-for-decadent-duos-chocolate-cups-with-whipped-cream-recipe-2013472

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 06:53:34 AM »
You could do a sirloin tip roast in the oven - all the prep work is earlier in the day and is easy. Pull at 130-135°, slice, serve medium/medium rare with baked potatoes & asparagus or fancy salad. Prep work is simply salt, pepper, insert garlic cloves into the roast. It's much tastier than anything in the slow cooker and delicious.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 11:28:47 AM »
What about beef tenderloin, since you are not on a tight grocery budget? I saw some really good-looking recipes for a beef tenderloin with filling that don't seem to have much in the way of last-minute prep. Or roast lamb, duck or Cornish game hens (fancy meat, simple preparation)? Paired with roast potatoes and a salad you do ahead of time and dress at the last minute, that wouldn't be bad in terms of prep!

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
How about cheese fondue? You can cut up all the meats, veggies, bread, etc. ahead of time, then just melt all the actual fondue ingredients together at the last minute.