Author Topic: Vacuum Cleaner Broke, Have Debt, How much to spend for what quality?  (Read 8535 times)

req897

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My vacuum cleaner broke. I have spent a good $25 so far repairing it myself and it broke again.

I have CC debt, so I don't want to spend much, but I am debating between buying a super low end manuf refurb Hoover for about $65 or a vacuum shop refurbished Kirby for about $150.

The Hoover would probably just barely get the job done. I do have dogs, and while it will clean, it's not going to give nearly the deep clean as the Kirby.

While the Kirby can last me for the rest of my life and is a high end unit, it does cost $85ish more, effectively more than double.

Do you think it's worth spending more on the Kirby given that I do have CC debt atm?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vacuum Cleaner Broke, Have Debt, How much to spend for what quality?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
Not really answering your question, but if you live in the SF bay area, you can have mine for free. (There's nothing wrong with it.)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »
$150 for a Kirby? That's an absolute steal!

I try to go BIFL when at all possible.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
Check Craigslist and estate sales as well.  My mom got a great vac last year for $5.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 03:19:11 PM »
Eight years ago I bought an excellent used Kirby off CL ($275--divorcee moving from house to an apartment) and gave away my piece of plastic junk that wouldn't clean and would barely run. It was more than the $150 you mentioned, but it was only 2 years old and in near-new condition. The replacement bags are in my cleaning budget, and I have no complaints. It's been great. However, the biggest caveat is the weight. If you're in a two-story house, carrying the beast up and down stairs is cumbersome and possibly a deal breaker for some women.

This machine will outlast me, so even if the price was three times the price of a junker, I'd buy it.

Aside from that, my challenge would be for you to include an emergency fund in your financial planning. You should be able to handle modest household repairs/replacements like this without reaching for credit cards. And even if you have the cash on hand, buy quality. The mustache is about optimizing your dollars and your time. That goal is rarely met by buying the cheapest option available just because it's the cheapest option available. That plan works when the cheapest option available is the BEST option available. Any gains from buying cheap to save on CC's will probably be lost the minute you buy the next replacement vacuum cleaner in two years or less.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »
Our $100 vacuum is still going strong after 7 years. A dyson costs 5 times as much and surely doesn't last 5x as long or clean 5x as well. So, we are sticking to the cheap version for as long as possible.

Don't spend more than $100, IMO.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »
Do you have carpeting or wood floors?

We have mostly wood floors and I love my $50 Bissell--works perfectly to zoom up all our dog (and human) fur and is easy to maneuver. I like how lightweight it is--I can lift it up and over furniture/dogs/humans. Here's the model I have: http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-PowerEdge-Corded-Vacuum-81L2T/dp/B00450U7V8

I have a gigantic, expensive Dyson that someone generously gave us for our wedding and honestly, it's too heavy-weight for our wood floors. It leaves marks on the floors and it weighs a ton--it's difficult for me to even maneuver it. However, it does work fantastically on our carpeting.

Seņora Savings

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:37 PM »
Calculate the actual price you will pay.

Lets say you will take 2 years (24 months) to pay off your debt at 12%APR (1%per month). The $150 will a actually cost

$150*1.01^24 = $190

Are you willing to pay that much?

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 04:55:32 PM »
I would buy the cheapest to do the job while you're in debt, then upgrade later.  Or, look for a refurbished high quality one and find ways to trim the budget to make up the difference. 

We bought a refurbished Dyson animal ten years ago and have been pleased. Would never buy one full price....  prior to the Dyson,  we were going through cheap vacuums every 2 years or so.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
If you can Freecycle, create an account and make a WANTED post and see if you get some responses.  I did that looking for a clothes iron and got several kind folks responding to me.

Sdsailing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »

One of the easiest items to find at a yard sale.  20.00 for a decent one.

SummerLovin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
This is one of those times where I think you need to spend the extra money and get the Kirby IF you have carpet and or pets. If you have wood/mostly wood floors something in the $65 range should work for a while.  Since you are saying that you need a vacuum I'm going out on a limb and assuming you have mostly carpet.  I recommend the used/refurbished or off Craigslist many bargains to be found.  You will likely  need to purchase 2 cheapo vacuums in the next 5 years, and the Kirby will last much longer. Sometimes it is worth biting the bullet and paying for quality.  I purchased a high quality vacuum over 25 years ago, and it's still running like a champ and one of the few purchases that is still used today.  Not many things you can say that about. 
As a side note, people have no problem paying way more for a computer that will likely be replaced in 2 years.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 06:20:19 PM »
My mother passed away 16 days ago. The Kenmore canister she gave me years ago lives on and absolutely sucks. I think she purchased it when I was nine years old? I'm 52 now. Bottom line: don't spend much.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »
If you didn't have debt, I would say, go ahead and spend whatever you find most appropriate for high quality.  However, since you do have debt, and are interested in paying it off, I vote for the cheap route.  You can get the more expensive vacuum when you no longer have debt, IF the cheaper one breaks down.

I also vote for craigslist.  Of course, that's my go-to for just about anything.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
My mother passed away 16 days ago. The Kenmore canister she gave me years ago lives on and absolutely sucks. I think she purchased it when I was nine years old? I'm 52 now. Bottom line: don't spend much.
I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »
If you can Freecycle, create an account and make a WANTED post and see if you get some responses.  I did that looking for a clothes iron and got several kind folks responding to me.
What Loretta said. Also kudos to you for mentioning that you have debt and for looking for a solution here instead of just throwing money at the problem. Good moves.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:21:36 AM by Diane C »

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »

Thank you. Seriously. I was numb for many days but am coming to now.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 05:40:38 AM »

Thank you. Seriously. I was numb for many days but am coming to now.

*HUGS*

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 07:19:33 AM »

Wow, Rapmaster D, your mom just passed away and you care enough to hang here and help others out with good advice? You rock, man. So sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you have lots of wonderful memories of your life with her. On a lighter, nice to have another "oldster" hanging out here ;-).

citrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 07:30:52 AM »
We have the Dyson ball...the smaller model and it is still working amazingly well 4 years later.  We have hardwood and tile floors, one woolen rug, and three cats.  I bought it through Overstock and used Ebates during one of their big sales and it has been worth every penny. 
Sorry to hear about your mom Rapmaster.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 07:34:10 AM »

Rapmaster - I'm sorry about your Mom.  My own Mom died about 3 years ago, still miss her every day, but it does get better.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
Just saw this one today, has decent reviews and is only $41.  I picked it up b/c I need something to clean the kitty condo. 
http://www.fatwallet.com/Hoover-coupons/hoover-sprint-quickvac-bagless-upright-uh20040/76225-3/

When I had carpet, I had a Kirby and they are the best out there, but very heavy.  I sold my 18 year old model for $125 a few months ago, it sold fast.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »
Thanks Diane C!

And I hope you know I was kidding on the other thread. I tend to be at least as snarky and obnoxious as I am helpful -- OOPS.

BTW, we've been living in the SF Bay Area for 18 years on the nose, effective tomorrow. We have had a f'ing great ride here!

My mom's health was in decline for months. It's a reason I'm FIRE'ing -- at least temporarily -- effective.....TOMORROW! Our time on this sphere -- for this go-around, is precious.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 11:59:14 PM »
Thanks Diane C!

And I hope you know I was kidding on the other thread. I tend to be at least as snarky and obnoxious as I am helpful -- OOPS.

BTW, we've been living in the SF Bay Area for 18 years on the nose, effective tomorrow. We have had a f'ing great ride here!

My mom's health was in decline for months. It's a reason I'm FIRE'ing -- at least temporarily -- effective.....TOMORROW! Our time on this sphere -- for this go-around, is precious.
Hey RapmasterD, no worries. I'm not sure which comment you're referring to, but I hope I "got" that if I saw it. Thanks to cool guys like the mods around here (especially you, Joe) I'm learning to develop a thicker skin (and sometimes to be nicer) around here.
Supercalifragilistic congratulations on pulling the trigger tomorrow. Aren't you glad there's so much great stuff to do up here? You won't go broke and you'll never be bored. I moved from SoCal 22 years ago and haven't stopped loving it up here yet. Duh, perhaps that's the post you meant...

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
Woot has refurb'd Hoovers today,

http://home.woot.com/offers/hoover-windtunnel-upright-vacuums-your-choice?ref=gh_hm_4_d_ph#

I know having MORE options just makes my decisions harder, but if you were already leaning Hoover and wanted bagless, I think they look nice.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
Woot has refurb'd Hoovers today,

You beat me to it! I saw that and thought of this thread.

I did use the Hoover Windtunnel stuff. They're pretty good. A bit heavy though, especially if you're lugging it up/down stairs.

I've never heard of Kirby until this thread..

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!