Author Topic: Vacation in VA/WV?  (Read 6950 times)

aclarridge

Vacation in VA/WV?
« on: March 29, 2014, 07:42:59 AM »
So because of some credit card rewards we just signed up for, my wife and I are going to get a couple short-haul flights for very little money and want to use them as part of our vacation this year.

We can go as far south as Georgia (short-haul from Toronto) but we were thinking of maybe going to the VA/WV area, renting a car and touring around for a week or two. We'd probably go in late spring/summer. We love to hike so we could do a lot of that in the Shenandoah mountains I'm sure. Any other ideas from locals? Historical sights, other activities that are interesting/fun?

Thanks in advance.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vacation in VA/WV?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »
I'm biased, of course, but my hometown of Charlottesville is a great area to visit. You've got historical sites (Monticello, etc.), beautiful mountains and rolling hills, lots of wineries, etc. Plus you're not far from Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, with excellent views, hiking, etc. The city itself has plenty of fine dining and a decent nightlife.

There's an airport in Charlottesville, but I'm not sure that would work for your deal? Otherwise you could fly into DC and drive down. Some nice stuff in parts of northern Virginia as well, though I'm not as familiar with all of it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »
I second Charlottesville, Shenandoah & Skyline drive
A bit further to the north (where I grew up) - for a historical trip Mount Vernon is awesome in that "recreating history" sort of theme. 
For day hikes near DC I love Great Falls (straddles the VA and MD border). 

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »
The Seneca Rocks / Dolly Sods area of WV is very nice.

MKinVA

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »
If you are going to Shenandoah, don't miss the town of harpers ferry West Virginia. Amazing town carved into the mountains at the corner of virginia, West Virginia, Maryland.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 08:55:20 AM »
another thought - if you happen to fly into Dulles International and you like aviation history, definitely check out the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum near the airport (not the one downtown).
It's free, and one of the biggest and well presented colleciton of aircraft in the world.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 09:09:18 AM »
I second the Dulles museum, if you're into that sort of thing at all. Worth it just for the space shuttle if nothing else (not mention the Enola Gay).

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:10:48 AM »
If you are going to Shenandoah, don't miss the town of harpers ferry West Virginia. Amazing town carved into the mountains at the corner of virginia, West Virginia, Maryland.
+1. A quick visit, but really cute.

sparklebunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »
I second Charlottesville, Shenandoah & Skyline drive
A bit further to the north (where I grew up) - for a historical trip Mount Vernon is awesome in that "recreating history" sort of theme. 
For day hikes near DC I love Great Falls (straddles the VA and MD border).

Charlottesville is beautiful and there is lots to do there.  Wineries, historical sites, shopping, cool restaurants.  Definitely a nice place to visit

eman resu

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
Another vote for Charlottesville. We are fortunate to have friends that live there and we usually stay in their digs for a week in May or June. There is all sorts of interesting historical/museum-y stuff around. There's often free music concerts on weekends at the end of the downtown walking mall (which is a great place to be a lookie-loo, see some street performers... not the cheapest place to be hungry or thirsty though).   The Monticello grounds have an awesome walking/running trail.   Star Hill brewery is in the vicinity and was a lot of fun last time we went, and you can't throw a stone without hitting a winery.  There's plenty of hiking opportunities within day-trippable distances.       

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
Depends how much "action" you like in your vacay, but West Virginia is one of my favorite places ever.  The whitewater rafting is some of the best in north america, and there are a bunch of resort type places with great camping, ATVs, huge lake/pool jungle gym things, paintball, etc.

Also regardless of the dumb jokes from elitist jerks, my experience with West Virginians has been that they're super fun to be around and are generally very nice.  I can't say the same about Virginians but i mostly lived in northern VA.

letro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »
Checkout http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/series/701/aerial-america/episodes.  This has great ideas for VA travel.  Norfolk navy ships, Williamsburg, Yorktown, VA BEACH, Chesapeake Bay eat some crabs, Northern neck, Revolutionary & Civil war sites UVA, Dulles air museum, Bull run battlefield, Harpers Ferry  WVA and the whole national capital area.  Yep do the circle from Dulles to West VA to South  VA Mts., Caverns & UVA to south Norfolk to North Williamsburg up the Northern neck back to Dulles. Keep Smiling letro

aclarridge

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
Thanks for all the replies everybody! Many great options given, I've got lots to research now.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 07:30:47 AM »
I've never been on the Blue Ridge in VA, but it rocks in NC.

Appalachian Trail.

Some pretty cool views in West Virginia along I-68.

desrever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 12:20:34 PM »
Crabtree falls is a hike you should check out. Source: I grew up near there.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »
Crabtree falls is a hike you should check out. Source: I grew up near there.

Ooh, yeah.  Our son's Cub Scout Troop goes there every year.  It's lovely!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
If you want to get into a lot of outdoor activities, New River Gorge and Timberline have a lot of them. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, etc.