Author Topic: UX Design for Beginners  (Read 1885 times)

deek

• Bristles
UX Design for Beginners
« on: January 29, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »
While browsing around and exploring possible new career options, I came across UX Design. With marketing and consumer psychology interests throughout school (2014 grad), I can see how UX Design might be something I would enjoy. Are there any UX designers here that may be able to point me in the right direction regarding awesome resources I could use to learn more about UX and how I might be able to translate new knowledge into a career down the road? Thanks!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: UX Design for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:23:22 AM »
Sounds like you'd be well suited to user research, user testing, and possibly service design.

These careers mostly require following a process to create actionable items.

When UX merges with UI and interaction design, that's where experience makes you valuable. Often there's hundreds of ways to solve a problem. Being able to visualize these options, and the narrow that list into ones worth testing can make you 10 times faster. Conversely on client projects the time limit can be very low, and the inexperienced aren't able to get to the optimal solution in time.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »
Just bought an in depth UX design course on Udemy for $10. This should help a lot.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
I do UX design- highly recommend the book "The User Experience Team of One".  Though I totally understand and support the $10 Udemy deal - I got myself a Python course the last time they ran it.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »
If you are interested in being a product designer (ie designing software and working with engineering teams) I recommend the book Lean UX: https://www.amazon.com/Lean-UX-Applying-Principles-Experience/dp/1449311652

This book is really great for giving you tools to rapidly experiment with design ideas and validate them with real users. It shows you how to frame your vision, validate your hypothesis, focus on problems and not solutions, and work within the context of an engineering team.