Author Topic: Using FLMA to provide a little ER insurance?  (Read 4923 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Using FLMA to provide a little ER insurance?
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
Can I take FLMA at ER to "care" for my school age children?  It's not much, but it would hold my job open for 12 weeks just in case I panic and want my job back.

Sarita

• Stubble
Re: Using FLMA to provide a little ER insurance?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
You would need to provide some sort of doctor's note showing that your kids are sick and in need of parental care.  If they aren't sick, you won't be able to use FMLA. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
Even if you can find a doctor to phony up some excuse, please don't do it.  You just make it more likely that your employer will want to avoid hiring women or women with children in the future and cut the next person less slack when they ask for an accommodation because they have children.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »
Even if you can find a doctor to phony up some excuse, please don't do it.  You just make it more likely that your employer will want to avoid hiring women or women with children in the future and cut the next person less slack when they ask for an accommodation because they have children.

How do you know OP isn't a man?

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »
yes please don't assume OP is a woman, and even if it were true, why would it matter? FLMA is not only for women...

I don't mind someone taking FLMA but if you are wanting to ER from the job, do you really want to return to the same job that you are ERing from? I'd find another job that's if you changed your mind. Seeing how the current job isn't one you really want to continue working or you wouldn't ER from it. Unless you enjoyed work but enjoy family time even more?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »
I'd want to return to my job if I could take an extra 2mo unpaid per year fo sho!  All I have to do is get "fed up with this shit" classified as a serious illness and I'm set!

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 07:14:05 AM »
Assuming a poster is male or female on these forums is punishable by death

Submit yourself for judgement, mary w

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »

I'd come up with a clever answer, but it's hard since my head is now severed from my body.  :-)

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »

I'd come up with a clever answer, but it's hard since my head is now severed from my body.  :-)

X_X

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
Can you ask for a leave of absence or something like that? 

Not sure what you do (and at what level) or how valued you are by your employer, but it's possible they might rather have a trial w/o you than a scenario in which you just leave outright.  The advantage for them is that it will be planned, so you can probably work to train your temporary replacement, and then they can boot the temp if you want to come back, or leave the temp on so BAU can continue until they find a permanent replacement if you decide you want to leave.

And yes, like others have stated you can't use FMLA unless it's a newborn, or a newly adopted child (or perhaps a newly fostered child?), or you need to care for an ill family member or yourself.

bdc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 10:47:57 PM »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
According to my HR, I could take FMLA up until the baby turned 1 year old. I used a couple of months at birth.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!