Poll

Do you buy used clothes from thrift stores?

All the time
119 (84.4%)
No way
22 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Used vs new clothing  (Read 31035 times)

madmax

• Stubble
Used vs new clothing
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:15:21 PM »
Just dragged the missus against her will to a thrift store for the first time (she positively refuses to wear anything used and we were supposed to be shopping for me). Couldn't get her on board with even buying used clothing for me so we decided to draw a line and buy new in the future. Wondering how many of you feel the same way as her and should we be feeling really guilty about buying new clothes? We don't really buy a lot of clothes - our budget is $ 50 a month for both of us (including makeup for her and winter clothes).

lizzigee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Used vs new clothing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »
If it's non-negotiable on her part, don't waste time feeling guilty about it. Just look for other ways to save. The way I see it, mustachianism isn't just about saving money, it's about deciding what sort of lifestyle is important to each of us personally, and finding a way to live it.  Try to find some other way to get her on board, the last thing you want to do is alienate her from the whole concept of mustachianism.

ETA I buy used clothing all the time, there's some great hardly worn good quality stuff out there, but I accept that some people just can't do it, just like I can't touch frogs (Eeeew, creepy things haha)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:23:32 AM by lizzigee »

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:17:02 AM »
Oh, I never thought that there existed people who cared about used clothing :-/ Most of my second-hand clothes are way better quality than the clothes I buy new. All my favourite clothes are second-hand, so I can't imagine NOT wearing my favourite clothes.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 01:37:02 AM »
My first time visiting downscale thrift stores was as a teenager, looking for Hallowe'en costumes. I was always turned off by the smell. They reeked of dead, old people. But a few years later as a university student, the price was just right for my budget. Most of my outfits are a mix of quality secondhand and new clothing from Hong Kong 'export shops' [clothing for western markets at 80%-90% off the retail price]. I just ensure everything's well washed before wearing.

Clothing production makes so much waste: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964887/ it's good for many reasons to buy secondhand. But it's not for everyone - my husband has a hard time with the idea of secondhand clothes for him. Still breaking him in ;)

cerberusss

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »
Why not buy them yourself? I have a hard time buying nice clothes without some female input, but jeans I can manage.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:43:13 AM »
Hmm, apparently I'm the first to not shop thrift stores. It's not actually "No way", it's more that I just don't shop at them, nothing against them or used clothes. I hate shopping so much in the first place, and my tastes are so fickle(not to mention sizing requirements for my main enemy - pants[large thighs + 34/32]) that I don't expend the effort when I do decide to go shopping. I don't go to Ross much either because it feels like a futile effort.

and as for shirts, I usually just wear t-shirts, and I've taken to supporting online groups that I enjoy such as podcast t-shirts, and online comics like XKCD and TheOatmeal.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 04:10:00 AM »
In upscale neighborhoods, used clothing can be exceptional values. 

PGH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:40:35 AM »
Some thrift stores are better than others, in terms of the quality of clothing available, but most still have that smell. I've had to take a few items to the dry cleaners just to get the smell out, but the price was right even with that additional expense.

I do have to be in a certain mood to shop in thrift stores, though, as it can take awhile and sometimes the hunt yields nothing. I would never buy bras or lingerie from one, but most of us draw a line somewhere.

I agree with lizzigee that if it's that big of a deal, she can simply save in other areas without anyone feeling guilty about it. But why can't you go there without her?

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
Everything I've bought from charity shops so far has been designer brand, in excellent condition at great prices. I would hold off if the clothes had a dead person smell though. So far in my experience I can't complain. Also buying second hand for me allows me to buy something I probably wouldn't buy full price in case I decided I didn't like it to much.

Also I've only really bought stuff for work (shirts) so far, with the exception of a smart/casual top.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 05:30:47 AM »
I feel like you should add an "occasionally" or "only for certain items" option.  The thrift stores in my area are great for home and kitchen items but useless for clothing*.  The consignment stores are much better and I do frequent them from time to time, usually for shirts or something "fun".  There are several great consignment shops in the area that I don't hesitate to buy from.  Most of the time when I need to purchase a piece of clothing it is to fill a specific gap in the wardrobe.  I find that hunting online for the perfect gap filler reduces clothing purchases overall.

*If I was willing to spend hours hunting there are treasures to be found, but hunting makes me miserable and my time already spread thin.  The upscale area clothing is distributed among the area's Goodwill's so even the "nice" Goodwill isn't all that great for someone in their 20s.

mstryin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:28 AM »
In our area, the thrift shop options are limited.  Our local economy is very tight - so, not much true quality stuff to find.  I admit, I'd have a bit of trouble buying clothes there (though I did get great dishes for a party last year).  Recently I discovered that buying clothes on ebay can be a great deal!  Especially clothes for a special occasion - seemingly limitless selection and some great deals for clothes still with tags on!

kevin78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 06:33:42 AM »
Thrift stores are great.  I don't buy my jeans from them usually, but for golf shirts and button up shirts and also for suits the thrift store is the best place if you are patient and willing to look through alot of stuff.

My dad taught me how to flip thrift store clothes on ebay about 12 years ago, it helped me through some rough times in college.  He does that full time, specializing in mens suits.  If I need something, like some shirts or work pants, I just tell him to look for some for when when he's out shopping and he has no problem finding the stuff for a couple dollars a piece.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 07:02:58 AM »
Let me get this straight: your wife is so offended by the thought of someone else wearing clothing before she does that you are not allowed to save 80% or more of your clothing budget by buying items for yourself that could possibly have been worn by another person?

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
If money smelled bad, would you leave it for someone else?

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 07:30:22 AM »
I've never had good luck buying clothes for myself at thrift stores...despite trying, I've only found two shirts that were good at a thrift store.  I'm a tall fat woman, so size is an issue.  But just about all my kid's clothes are second hand.  I make a lot of my own clothes, and I've had some luck finding men's shirts that I can cut up and use as fabric to make shirts for myself.

Frugal_in_DC

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 07:40:52 AM »
I absolutely hate going shopping, and hate clothes shopping the most.  I don't like to part with my hard-earned cash, prefer to spend my free time doing other things, and feel horrible about the environmental impact of our consumerist society.  Maybe the environmental issue would resonate with your wife. 

I only buy clothes when they need to be replaced due to stains that don't come out or tears that can't be mended.  Luckily we have several thrift stores within walking distance of my house.  I check the thrift stores first.  If I don't find what I need, I buy it on sale or at a discount store (e.g., Target, Marshalls, Ross).  I never ever buy clothes at full price.  I've found some really good quality clothes at thrift stores.  I save lots of money, help the environment, and contribute towards a worthy cause.  Any thrift store smell comes out in the wash or with a home dry-cleaning kit.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »
I don't go to thrift stores very often because my allergies go haywire when I'm there. However, my mom frequents the best thrift stores in our area, and often finds me things. Brand name shoes, cashmere sweaters, dress pants, high end purses, etc. Lots of times, they still have tags on or were obviously a gift and never worn.

If left totally to my own devices, though, I mainly buy things at Gap/Old Navy, because I have an Old Navy Visa that we use all the time and most of our clothes end up being free with all the points we earn.

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:15 AM »
Just dragged the missus against her will to a thrift store for the first time (she positively refuses to wear anything used and we were supposed to be shopping for me). Couldn't get her on board with even buying used clothing for me so we decided to draw a line and buy new in the future. Wondering how many of you feel the same way as her and should we be feeling really guilty about buying new clothes? We don't really buy a lot of clothes - our budget is $ 50 a month for both of us (including makeup for her and winter clothes).
So you allow $600 for clothes/etc between the two of you (this is about 5x what I spend annually, by the way). You are willing to go to thrift stores but she is not. So I would allot these funds separately - you have x dollars, she has y dollars to spend in this category. Do not simply give her 2/3 or more of this category just because she is unwilling to buy used - the amount should be split reasonably. You need new clothes (presumably for your job, etc) and so does she. Let her spend her amount wherever she wishes, while you do the same. You will get massively more bang for your buck, and I would demonstrate this to her. Bring home the quality clothes and let her know the total cost for your haul. Lead by example on this one. Over time her opinion will hopefully change.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
I buy underwear and socks new, his work boots, and professional shoes with extreme arch support for me. Otherwise? Thrift stores only. Men's clothing is harder in our rural area; if it gets to a thrift store where we live, it's well and truly worn out because the majority of men in our area do heavy labor, either farming or mill work.

So I check thrift stores when we have to go somewhere else for his clothes, and my mother, who lives in a much more urban area, presents him with several work pants and shirts from her local thrift stores every Christmas. I'm a shameless clotheshorse, and we come in under $200 annually for the two of us.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
99% of the time we shop thrift stores. I like the hunt (only if I'm by myself). But we did finally go to Kohls recently to get some nice pieces and some underwear. I definitely shop thrift stores for our 19 month old. Why in the world would we buy one outfit that costs $20 when I can score ~5 outfits at a thrift store for the same $20? Kids grow so fast.

We scored 5 or 6 huge garbage bags full of baby-toddler clothes through a facebook group a while back. $45 for all of it. I think each piece came out to a quarter or less. And ebay is also a good way to score nice items.

mstryin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »
@ Zoe

good for you for getting your kids clothes at thrift stores!  If only I had been not so stupid when my kids were babies - oh what I could do with all the money that I spent at Gymboree!!  What was i thinking?  Had I saved instead of spent that money - college would probably be paid for for them.  Makes me a bit sick to think of it now....

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
On Earth Day this year I 'joined' the Compact. (Didn't really formally join). I have promised not to buy anything new for a year and it's going GREAT! I may just live this way forever. I like the hunt involved with buying good quality used items. I've been looking everywhere for a tricycle for my son. Finally found one on Craigslist for $25. Brand new it would cost $70. Cha-ching! 

I love that I will never have to step foot in a mall again this year! 

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
I hate the mall. Omg.

mrpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »
I'm tall and thin, and picky with fit and style so despite my best efforts to find clothes at thrift stores it just doesn't happen. I've gotten some belts and household stuff but clothes aren't worth the effort to me. I buy new stuff with sales/coupons. Got four pairs of (right fit, right size, non-faded) pants from the Gap for less than $15 each after coupons recently and didn't have to dig through 75 pairs of fuddy-duddy pants to find them. I hit TJ Maxx for dress shirts and find them for under $20 each usually.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »
I do a mix of thrift shopping, consignment shopping and new.  I'm an attorney so I have to look sharp and professional.  I'm also tall and lean with long arms and legs so it can be very hard to find blouses, jackets and pants that are long enough.  Plus, I'm a posh chica and I like to look good.

All that said, when I was in law school (2008 - 2011) I found a couple of thrift stores on the border of the very affluent part of town and scored some great deals on Ann Taylor, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein, and Talbots clothing.   I have a gorgeous silk-blend Talbots jackets that cost $6.00.  I have no qualms about pairing that jacket with a pair of slacks that I bought new.

I also have a good tailor and once I learned how to assess whether an article of clothing had enough room to let out the sleeves or hem, I could buy beautiful things cheaply and have them let out for a small cost and still be way ahead.

I also go to a clothing swap once each year where people take 20 items they don't wear and can leave with 20 new items.  LOVE that.

My next step.... learn to sew.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
I think your budget for clothes is not huge for two people and if she really does not want to then she shouldn't.  However, if you want to try shopping at thrift stores maybe you should just go without her.

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 10:24:05 AM »
I can spend hours at a thrift store and not find anything that both looks good and fits well, so I buy used clothes from eBay. I buy new clothes from Marshall's/TJ Maxx or 50%+ off sales at other stores.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »
Like some others here, I have some fitting issues that makes it hard to find clothes that fit at thrift stores (or regular stores for that matter). I'm not buying any more clothes in 2013, but when I do, I hope to gain inspiration from Refashionista, http://refashionista.net/, who buys crazy articles of clothing at thrift stores for rock bottom prices and makes them into entirely new pieces of clothing. I already have a sewing machine, so with a little bravery I think I can make this work...

There are other blogs that cover refashioning too-- Google if you want some inspiration.

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
And just the kind of face punch we needed/expected from MMM. :)

To answer some of the questions above, yes I am open to buying used. Wife doesn't like either of us to wear used clothes. It's not about her not going with me to a thrift store - she doesn't want me to buy used even if I go by myself. It might be a cultural thing too - she is from a culture where people do not buy used anything (cars, clothes, houses etc) and was completely incredulous when I first brought up the idea of buying used.

Considering that we rank about five on a Mustachian scale of 10, I'm going to just improve in the other areas of our life like housing and vacations and then try to bring up this topic again when we are leading a much more frugal lifestyle

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »
Our bodies are 100% previously used atoms, gifts from the stars.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:27:40 PM by aj_yooper »

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »
My mom loves thrift stores, so whenever I see her, she's always got 1-2 new finds to give me.  Otherwise, I make most of my clothes (knit sweaters, sewn dress slacks).  I do end up needing some new socks and undies about once a year, and I need to replace my black Merrill shoes about once every 1.5-2 years.  (I need comfy standing shoes for work.)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
We buy a lot of our clothes used.  It's much easier for me than DH though.  I'm tiny, and it's easy to cut things down to my size.  Even when I buy new I have to shorten pants. 

DH though has a 48 inch waist, very large muscular thighs, and wears a 50 or 52 jacket.  That's fairly hard to find at a thrift store.  Although every time I'm in there I check and sometimes get lucky.  Usually only with shirts and jackets, pants for him are always from specialty large men's stores, or (strangely enough) Walmart online.

About the smell, thrift clothes just have to go through the wash at least once before they are wearable.  If they don't survive normal washing, I don't keep them.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
i don't like thrift stores.  the idea of wearing people's clothes i don't know skeeves me out.  i do however participate in clothes swaps and get hand me downs from people i do know.  my girlfriends and i do a swap about every 3 months, its like free shopping.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »
You do know when you buy clothes off the rack, possibly dozens of people have tried it on, without it having been washed before YOU try it on?

GlobalStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
I've tried thrift/consignment stores a lot, and I never walk away with much.  I think I don't like digging around??  If I need new black pants in my size, I like going to the department store and seeing the huge variety and picking what looks best on me.  I justify it with watching for sales and using coupons on top (damage is minimized as much as possible).  On the flip side of this, a few years ago when I went the way of MMM I decided to consign many stacks (probably underestimating) of clothes I had been hoarding.  The proceeds (several hundreds of dollars, both happy and sad to say) I was allowed to use on new clothes as I needed them.  The idea being I would eventually reduce my closet to the things I actually wear and no new money spent unless I am so far basic that there is nothing left to consign but I need something.  My dream is to one day actually fit all my clothes in half of my shared closet with hubby.

As for children's clothes, I tried consignment and got annoyed that the prices weren't lower than the normal stores.  By watching sales/clearance racks and using coupons (Macy's and BRU are the best for this, believe it), you can get pants, shirts, shorts, etc. for $2 each or less AND get to buy in many sizes with lots of variety in styles.  With a few hundred bucks, I already bought everything my son needs until he is 6 (he is only 20-months right now) and this includes shoes and winter coats!

I would like to add a thought from my husband.  Be careful buying used shoes.  If the shoes are really worn, you can do a lot of damage to your feet and that will cost you far more in "life" than the few bucks you save with consignment shoes.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »
Is it your choice of used clothes that she takes issue with, or the overall concept no matter whether it's' NWT or not?

We buy 80% of our toddler's clothes at consignment sales twice a year. The other 20% are end-of-season clearance, new clothes. My price point is $4 or less (except for jackets ($10-$15) and shoes (we usually buy new)). 

I would be miserable shopping for clothes for myself in a thrift store, as there is just about 1% chance I'd be able to find pants that fit. I need the guides for the cut of the pants to help me find the right one. I usually buy 2 pairs of the same pants if I find a style that fits without needing alteration. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I just don't have the time.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »
My husband and I shop thrift stores all the time with no problem. However I would never, never buy used shoes. They can't be washed. I also check new shoes for signs that they may have been worn and returned. I don't care that people may have tried them on a bunch of times, but the possibility that they walked any great distance or sweat in them just creeps me out.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
To those complaining about the smell - If you made your own laundry detergent, you would know exactly how to get around that ;)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
I shop almost exclusively at thrift stores.  Only things I don't buy there are socks and undies.  Shoes are hard to find because of my odd size, but if I found them I'd buy them!

Just an FYI on the smell:  The smell at the Goodwill?  It's the disinfectant the clothes are treated with prior to sale.  Feel better!  Stinky clothes are germ free clothes, LOL:) 

Sometimes it can take more than one wash to get the scent out, but I finally figured out to put vinegar and baking soda with the homemade detergent to boost it and it works great.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »
Almost all of my casual clothing is from thrift shops, name brands of very high quality. Right now I have on a Coldwater Creek jacket and olive green casual slacks (Jones New York) that were blue tag specials at Goodwill, $5 for both. I get compliments every time I wear them. As soon as I got them home, I washed them, and now they smell like everything else I wear. My favorite cashmere sweater I bought at a rather eccentric dollar store that sold unclaimed dry cleaning for $1 a piece. Shoes and work clothes I usually buy at outlet sales, but I have a thrifted black and white plaid skirt that I wear all the time with a high-end blazer and everyone assumes I bought them as a set. I probably have to try on 20 things for every one thing I buy, but that happens to me in regular stores, too. Or it did last time I went.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
Like others have already mentioned, thrift store shopping is very occasional for me.  Sometimes something might catch my eye but I don't go there specifically to shop for clothing.  It's not worth my time to sift through it all for the diamond in the rough.  Instead, I buy new clothing and hold on to it for a long time.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »
Keep in mind that thrift stores vary widely:

- I've been to some Goodwills that definitely have a smell . . . and you have to sort through a dozen junky items to find one that's remotely decent. 
- The new Goodwill near me is different -- perhaps better management? -- in that it gives the impression of being quite clean and well-organized.  It's much nicer than others. 
- If you have a Plato's Closet near you, it's downright boutique-like.  We travel a good 45 minutes to visit the one adjacent to a nearby university.  The best times are Christmas and late April/early May, both times when college students are cleaning out their rooms and going home.  The selection of jeans is wonderful!  Ditto for semi-formal dresses. 
- Similarly, many children's consignment stores are wonderful.  I rarely ever bought anything new for my children 'til they reached the age when kids stop growing . . . and start wearing things out. 

And I'll close with a story: 

When I was expecting my first child, I shopped heavily at consignment stores and yard sales, and I put together a nice maternity wardrobe for very little money.  I really did have nice things:  good dresses for work, a denim jumper that I wore constantly, and a couple pairs of nice maternity shorts.  I even had excellent luck finding nursing nightgowns.  When I surveyed my maternity wardrobe, however, I had one pair of shorts with no matching shirt.  So I went to Target and bought ONE tee-shirt to match.  Aside from under garments, this was literally the ONLY item of maternity clothing I purchased new . . . and when I washed it, it shrank.  I had exactly ONE WEARING from that shirt.  I was very disappointed, and it strengthened my resolve to buy used in the future.  In contrast, the used maternity things I bought lasted very well.  I don't recall a single item being ruined or worn out in two pregnancies. 

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »

Let me ask...does she mind WHERE you buy brand new clothing, and/or how much you paid for it? Because some people might freak out over buying the EXACT SAME THING if it was on clearance.

Anyways, you can often find really nice clothing at thrift stores with the tag still on them (I'm guessing sometimes it makes better financial sense for a store to donate and get a tax credit based on the full retail value, than discount even further). That may be a way to ease her into it...get lucky and find some nice clothes with the tag still somewhat intact (may be ripped or marked throuh...but with tag = just as new as in a retail store). Once she's comfortable with 100% new, maybe you can ease her into "looks brand new."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:24:38 PM by josetann »

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
I do shop at thrift stores. I have done so since I was in high school (past 20 years). My kids almost exclusively wear hand me downs and thrifted items. I always try to find what we need used first.

My husband was skeptical about wearing second hand, but he did eventually change his mind. He has a very small wardrobe. He only keeps 3 or possibly four pairs of pants and 3 pairs of shorts, and wears them until they are totally worn out. I cant remember the last time I bought him shirts. Sometimes he gets them for xmas from family, and again, he has a stack of maybe, 8-10, that he rotates and wears until they are unwearable. Well, last year, his shorts had all met their end, so I picked him up 4 pairs of cargo shorts at the Village Discout Outlet, at half off day, for 1.50 a pair. He is wearing them this year also. His shorts usually last 4 years or so.

This past weekend the Village Discount had all their stores 50% off everything. I got my daughter approx 25 pcs of clothing, pants, shorts, tops, plus my son needed swim trunks and a swim shirt ( I even found him some very nice, new looking and feeling boxer briefs for 45 cents each) for about 50$. Both of them should be completely set until winter. and I have a couple of bins of hand me downs for my son to grow into.

There are a couple of brands of pants that I know I like and I know what size works for me, and I managed to find several, which is unusual for me. But I did go to 3 of the outlets all told. I also found several shirts that were good, and even a swimsuit! and the swimsuit fit! (none of these stores have changing rooms, so you have to just guess-which is why I really try to only go on half off sale day, to limit my risk)

I will buy new underwear, new socks (although 3 out of 4 of us dont like to wear socks) and new shoes when necessary.

This is the first year Im tracking, but I think we will come in under 400$ for all 4 of us for the whole year.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »
Just another thought:

If you guys have a local GoodWill Outlet - that is my store of choice.  I don't like trying on clothing in the store - I'd rather wash it first and I'm super frugal.  I don't want to spend $7 on something that may not fit.  The Goodwill Outlet is per pound.  You sort through large bins. I'll pick up 10 items, it'll cost me $14.  Usually I'll hit on at least half - it terms of how they fit.  The remaining items are either resold through a local group I participate in or dropped at the local regular Goodwill.  For which they give me a 30% off my next regular purchase. 

Goodwill Outlets don't just sell clothes, but also household items, dvds, etc.  I get whole seasons of tv shows for $3.99. 

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 01:24:41 AM »
You could get around this by agreeing to cut the clothing/makeup budget by 30%... it doesn't matter where she spends her money as long as she comes in under that number, right?

ScienceRules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »
I shop at thrift stores all the time. Mainly at goodwill, or when I lived in Alabama, at America's Best Thrift Store. ABTS was awesome. I got shirts for $1-3, and really nice dress pants for around $7. I never really bought jeans though, they are hard to find the right fit without trying them on. Also, in the Seattle area there is an annual garage sale in Renton and it's $10 for however many clothes you can stuff in a big garbage bag (I managed over 65 shirts).

On the other hand, my husband absolutely will not wear clothes from other people (besides family). I had bought him some nice shirts off eBay but he won't even touch them (though he wears all me and my sister's old t shirts, it's pretty goofy to see him wearing high school girl swim tees). I think wearing someone's old clothes is just an idea some people can't get over. As long as she sticks to the budget, it's not necessarily a problem and once she sees the amount and quality of stuff you can get for much cheaper, maybe she'll be more willing to try (I wish that would happen with my husband, but he doesn't care about having only 10 shirts).

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 05:09:14 AM »
That is a good point... as a bloke I have 3 of pairs of shorts, a pair of jeans, a dozen T-shirts, a couple of polo-shirts, a couple of summer shirts, a spring/fall jacket and a winter jacket. The 1-2 things I replace each year are hardly breaking the bank.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 05:35:37 AM »
You do know when you buy clothes off the rack, possibly dozens of people have tried it on, without it having been washed before YOU try it on?

yep.  it freaks me out.  weird ocd thing i have.  i actually get most of my clothes from my mom's store where they come straight from the manufacturer.  where i also know that tons of people i don't know are touching them, i just pretend they aren't.  don't even get me started on underwear, i've been skeeved since friends of mine in college would buy, wear, and return victoria's secret stuff, without washing it.  ick

all that being said, i'm in the i really dislike shopping camp like a few others.  i basically have staples in my closet, nothing very trendy. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!