Author Topic: Used Furniture Donation ideas?  (Read 1957 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Used Furniture Donation ideas?
« on: June 07, 2019, 11:03:18 AM »
Hey all,

I have an old Ikea leather couch with a rip in the middle cushion. Other than the rip, it's actually in pretty good condition. The problem is that the few local donation organization groups in my immediate area who also offer pickup won't take it because of the rip. I'm almost tempted to try sewing it up or patching it and then having them come out to get it LOL. I've listed it on Craigslist, Freecycle, Nextdoor, and a few bites but no takers.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to get rid of it? I won't be able to haul it off to drop off anywhere myself. It's a shame because I'd hate to see the couch go to the dumpster with a little 3-4" rip. Maybe I will consider patching it up and then donating. Though, that's risky too as I wonder if the donation organizations would see the patch and still reject it.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Used Furniture Donation ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
I had a recliner chair in much better condition than that.  We didn't want it anymore.  I brought it down in my basement and disassembled it into usable and non usable materials.  The wood went into my wood furnace to heat the house.  The fabric and padding went in the trash.  The metal went on my steel pile to be brought to the scrap yard when I filled my trailer.

The only way I can think that someone would actually use it would be to plaster ads around college campuses.  Chances are, you would have to deliver it and give it away.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »
I'd patch the rip and re-list on those free sites again. Do you have Buy Nothing as well? Can also ask your friends if anyone could use it, since they might trust you more than a stranger.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 01:19:07 PM »
You can also contact local churches or other organizations that regularly have community yard sales.  They may be willing to come get it.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
Thrift stores sell items. No one wants a couch with a rip. Pay someone to haul it.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 04:24:22 PM »
I would actually put it out at the curb on a sunny Saturday morning. Chances are good in my neighborhood that someone would take it. YMMV.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 04:35:51 PM »
@Cranky beat me to it!

In my neighorhood, the curb is where such items go. They get picked up by passersby / freelance recyclers in a few days, usually.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 11:09:04 AM »
I would actually put it out at the curb on a sunny Saturday morning. Chances are good in my neighborhood that someone would take it. YMMV.
@Cranky beat me to it!

In my neighorhood, the curb is where such items go. They get picked up by passersby / freelance recyclers in a few days, usually.

I thought of that but our HOA has rules against that. I have seen people do it but they probably get letters from the association. I'll probably end up doing that as a last resort anyway, and then just pushing the couch back inside the garage if nobody takes it. I'll have to place some paper with "FREE" written on it

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 11:47:22 AM »
Our former house HOA forbid curbside donations, but the monthly city Bulk Trash at the curb was legal. We had a mountain of stuff out there. Use clear trash bags for loose stuff, pillows, linens, etc., not black. People did pick through the pile before the city truck showed up & the black bags were torn into.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »
There are charities that help people find housing, then they help furnish the place. I'd patch it and look for such an organization. Your local church or food bank should be good resources, if google fails you.

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 05:09:06 AM »
+1 to what Dicey said.  Our local women's shelter finds affordable apartments for the women/families ready to move from the shelter and then furnish it.  They pick up donations and may even be willing to patch it themselves if you don't want to.

lizmc1779

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 07:38:20 AM »
Depending on your location there may be a refugee assistance organization that helps set up newly arrived families. I have donated a bunch of things this way.