Author Topic: Used car -- up my offer or stick to my guns? (Updated dealer offer!)  (Read 13810 times)

brandino29

• Bristles
Looking for some advice ---

I just got back from test driving a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback, one owner, with around 105,000 miles on it.  It's super clean, it seems to be in great shape all around.  It meets my needs almost perfectly, a spacious car that gets good gas mileage to replace my 2 door truck that I can't take my infant daughter anywhere in.  Plus, beginning this summer I'll be making a 50 mile one way commute (temporary and largely unavoidable) and need a more reliable car. 

The asking price $4,900, which is 'on sale' from $6,000.  As I sat down with the salesman, he wanted to get a sense of how serious I was.  I told him I had a personal policy of having to sleep on any car purchase decision but if I liked it I would be ready to buy, with money upfront, as soon as tomorrow. After making a copy of my license and talking to his boss he came back in and said "Well, the one thing is that we can't go lower than $4,900." (This was before we had talked about price at all).

The problem is that Kelley Blue Book lists this car at fair market value for a dealer at $3,700.  The Carfax report recommends adding up to $800 to the fair value because of this particular car's clean history and relatively low mileage.  After the test drive, which the salesman rode along for talking frequently about how great the car was, we sat down in his office.  He started getting a little pushy and recommended I put down a $250 refundable deposit and take it home for up to 24 hours and see what I thought.  After some more pushing, I broke my own rule and told him I would be willing to put the deposit down right now if they would take $4,000 even.  He said he couldn't do it, the conversation continued a little and he got pushier, repeatedly saying "You need to lock up this car now or someone else is going to get it, maybe even tomorrow morning." (From what I can tell, it's been on the lot for at least 3 weeks.)  I offered $4k again and he said no, $4,900 is the lowest they were going.  I told him about Kelley Blue Book's valuation and he told me not to "put my faith in them."

So I really like the car, it's exactly what I'm looking for, and it's cheap.  It's in great shape, so I'm fine adding the $800 recommended by Carfax, but that only brings it to $4,500.

My question is, do I increase my offer, or even go all the way to $4,900, or stick to my guns and the KBB value out of principle?

(Edited subject line with updated dealer offer 1/20)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:39:43 AM by brandino29 »

okashira

• Bristles
Re: Used car -- up my offer or stick to my guns?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »
It's a $5000 car that should last another 10 years. Non issue in terms of FI.

Offer him $4500 final offer if you want to feel good about it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »

Anecdotal, I know.  But we just bought a used car.  We sat down and looked at Edmunds/KBB/carfax and decided exactly what we would pay if it looked like it did on their web site.

We walked in and offered $500 below that price.  We got a guffaw and a "surely you must be wrong, we can't possibly go that low."

I up'ed to our max, predecided offer, which was still *significantly* below their low, low sale price.

Long story short, they said "No, we just can't go even near that low."  We said "thank you for your time".   ... and after we finished with the paper work, we drove it home.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »
I'd stick to your guns.  There will be other cars, and that's a lot more than KBB. 

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:24:21 PM »
And never fall for the 'You need to lock in this car now while you can' scam. They don't know that someone will be in tomorrow for the car, even if the car was only in the lot for one day. It's a classic salesman move which is trying to motivate you to move on what you have in front of you by fabricating a perceived risk of taking it away from you.

The sales person them self gets a pat on the back for the quantity of cars shipped and a stern word only if a majority of their cars are sold widely below the suggested value. At the end of the day, from the dealer's perspective, each car sitting on the lot is a liability and a cost on their space. If there is a person in today who wants that car, then sell it to push out the inventory and replace it with car Y which future customer Y is looking for.

Stick to your guns, and be ready to walk away.. all the way out to the parking lot and drive away and they might even stop you as you pull away to get you back inside. Lost sales are far worse than a few hundred difference on a single car, especially one that they can't get off the lot.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
They made lots of cars, and still do, there's another deal available. Keep that in mind and IMHO it'll help. This isn't the last train leaving the station.

It would be an interesting data point to know what they paid for the car -- maybe the KBB trade-in value on it? That would give you an idea of how much they paid and their profit margin. I'm not saying they shouldn't make a profit, that's why they're in business, but you don't have to pay the salesman's boat payment and the floor manager's vacation home mortgage this month either.

The dealership is running through all kinds of sales techniques on you from the "you may loose the car" to the "puppy dog sale" (taking it home so it feels like yours) to the "on sale" price. They have a bunch of these techniques as they're selling cars day in and day out, whereas you're buying one every once in a while. I fell for some of those techniques once and the best revenge we got was driving the car 250,000 miles and never going back to that dealership.

Kelly Blue Book and the others are good, but I think a good measure of market value is a bank's loan value. Last car I bought I called our credit union and asked them what they would loan with car as collateral. The amount came to significantly less than the KBB.

On another deal I did, on a truck I still own after 2 decades, they asked what I would pay. I said the title to my trade-in sitting outside in the parking lot and this check from the credit union. They said "great." After they did the paperwork there was another $800 tacked in for the sales tax. I said, "no, the old truck and this check." They said "The sales tax is extra, the buyer always pays it."

Nope, not what I had in mind. I left, they called me for 3 days, lowering the price every time, and I finally got what I wanted.

That may not happen here, and you might not get this car (note I didn't say "lose," it's not yours to lose), but I'd recommend sticking to your original prices.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »
Kelly Blue Book and the others are good, but I think a good measure of market value is a bank's loan value. Last car I bought I called our credit union and asked them what they would loan with car as collateral. The amount came to significantly less than the KBB.

Not arguing with this... just have an observation/question:  Wouldn't the bank's loan value represent the value of the car less what they deem is a reasonable down payment (so you have skin in the game?)

...either way, it might still be a decent negotiating tool... though I still say if you have to get a loan on a car: you can't afford it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 06:44:27 PM »

...either way, it might still be a decent negotiating tool... though I still say if you have to get a loan on a car: you can't afford it.

Well, I can get a car loan for 1.65% and my mortgage is 2.50%. I don't itemize federal taxes. Where do you think is the better place to put the cash?

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
I would stick to your guns.  I would go by the KBB price too.  The salesperson is also using hard tactic on you and classic sales technique to for you to drive it now.  They have meetings on how to deal with customers like you as well as what to say when you bring up KBB.   Its also eating in to his commission when you offer 4k.   Try truecar.com for used prices too.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »

Well, I can get a car loan for 1.65% and my mortgage is 2.50%. I don't itemize federal taxes. Where do you think is the better place to put the cash?

I think the key word there was have to as in no investments and probably dipping in to the emergency fund a bit for the down payment, and now taking on debt that exceeds your net worth and capacity to handle in case SHTF.
Simply a wildly different situation from yourself TomTX, and we are all pretty well versed in those differences. :)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 06:58:53 PM »
I'd stick to my guns. You have nothing to lose. There are thousands of used cars for sale out there.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »

That's not the question.  The question is: did you have to get a loan?

[remember to add in the price of full coverage insurance to the car loan.  That's also part of the price.  If you finagle a deal where you're making more money, then good for you. ]

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:27:01 PM »
I've even heard the KBB values can be pretty high compared to other car valuation sites. I would check some other sources (Edmunds, for example). But, as others have said, $500 is hardly going to make or break you. Do the best you can, but if the car fits your needs, I would buy it for the $4500. Wait a couple days first though & see where the price goes.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:37:10 PM »
I would not offer one dime more than the KBB value for your area, with all the adjustments for mileage and condition.  It's not a matter of principle, it's a matter of paying what the car is worth.  If you don't get this one, you will have a lot of others to pick from in the next few weeks.  You have a truck and a few months before you start the nasty commute.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:48:50 PM »
I would not offer one dime more than the KBB value for your area, with all the adjustments for mileage and condition.  It's not a matter of principle, it's a matter of paying what the car is worth.  If you don't get this one, you will have a lot of others to pick from in the next few weeks.  You have a truck and a few months before you start the nasty commute.

This.

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »
It's a $5000 car that should last another 10 years. Non issue in terms of FI.

Offer him $4500 final offer if you want to feel good about it.

A big part of me acknowledges this.  Value is only what you place on something...a $200,000 Lamborghini is worth nothing to me because I have no use for it.  This car, however, should last and be of great use to us.  Maybe that's worth more than what KBB suggests.

This I also agree with, hence my personal belief of the "sleep on it" principle.  It's easy to get worked up and excited about the perfect car, forgetting that there are thousands of cars out there to choose from, and with a night to think about it you usually come to your senses..  I won't be heartbroken if I don't get it, which he tried hard to suggest I would be.  I was a bit miffed that he so steadfastly refused to negotiate though.

At this point I'm thinking I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and then maybe offer $4,250, while keeping my eye on Autotrader.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »

Anecdotal, I know.  But we just bought a used car.  We sat down and looked at Edmunds/KBB/carfax and decided exactly what we would pay if it looked like it did on their web site.

We walked in and offered $500 below that price.  We got a guffaw and a "surely you must be wrong, we can't possibly go that low."

I up'ed to our max, predecided offer, which was still *significantly* below their low, low sale price.

Long story short, they said "No, we just can't go even near that low."  We said "thank you for your time".   ... and after we finished with the paper work, we drove it home.

This. You need to learn from game theory on how to buy a car from a dealership. **** their negotiating tactics.

Also Spork, you win 5 internets.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »
[That's not the question.  The question is: did you have to get a loan?

No, not with my credit union, they'll tell me the loan value just for asking.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
[That's not the question.  The question is: did you have to get a loan?

No, not with my credit union, they'll tell me the loan value just for asking.

hmmm.... that wasn't really aimed at you or meant in the "do you have to get a loan to get a loan value quote".  That was a reply to TomTx upthread.

I still suspect that "loan value" doesn't represent "car value."  I suspect it is "how much we are willing to risk on the car" -- I.e. They may require a down payment instead of 100% financing.

ikonomore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
The dealer probably got that car for $2500 at most.
Definitely stick to $4000, that's a generous offer.

As the poster above me said, KBB is notorious for their prices being too high.
Go to edmunds and look up the true market value of it.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »
Saying thanks for your time and walking away is great. It works like a champ. Stick to your guns. You'll get a great deal.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
I still suspect that "loan value" doesn't represent "car value."  I suspect it is "how much we are willing to risk on the car" -- I.e. They may require a down payment instead of 100% financing.

Good point. In my case this credit union provides up to 100% financing, so in my mind there's got to be some tie to market value.

It's interesting that the dealer wanted $3 less than the loan value, and when I mentioned KBB he said, "Go ahead and look it up, I'll be happy to sell it you at their price." KBB listed the car at $3,000 more than the credit union and the dealer. I don't remember if I looked it up on Edmunds.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
...Long story short, they said "No, we just can't go even near that low."  We said "thank you for your time".   ... and after we finished with the paper work, we drove it home.

^^^ This.

As someone who used to work in sales and likes to negotiate:

"The best deals you make are the ones you're prepared to walk away from."

That, and:

"They made more of them every day." There WILL be another car at a price you want to pay.

Nice car BTW. I used to have that model of Elantra GT (the hatch, not the sedan). Best in class.

I agree with this.  When I bought my first car after college, I went to a couple of places with used cars.  This one place kept trying to sell me what the thought I could afford, not what I wanted (I was looking for a $5-6k car, they were trying to sell me a beater).  So I left.

Magically a few weeks later they asked if I was still looking, ready to make me a deal.  Um, no.

When we bought our Matrix, we spent hours negotiating.  We went to lunch (they really didn't want us to walk out, but I was hungry and we were with our 4 month old baby).  Went back and started actual negotiations. Made our offer, they said "no", I said "fine, it's 4 pm, I'm really tired, so is the baby.  We'll see you later."  And they took our offer.

I get the feeling we got a better deal than we thought (our offer was based on research we did over the lunch break on Consumer reports - logged on at a Best Buy).  This dealer kept taking pictures and clapping and congratulating the new car owners.  They basically threw us the keys and said "see you later", and the young new guy who had spoken to us first in the lot whispered that we got a really good deal on the way out.

When I bought our Civic in 2009 I really liked the Elantra, so I see the appeal.  But there will be more.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
I love the art of negotiation. Even more I love walking out with a great deal.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 06:24:34 PM »
Never pay ABOVE KBB value. In fact, all of the used cars I've bought in this price range were $500-$1,000 below the private party value, let alone the vastly inflated dealer value.

Also, I wouldn't touch a 11 year old Hyundai with a ten foot pole.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 07:07:46 PM »
brandino, how'd you decide what to get?  Did you decide exactly what you wanted, and then went dealer-hunting, or did you hit a few dealers and then figure out what they had that you also liked and could do some research on?  Or do you stalk Consumer Reports first?

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 08:17:57 AM »
brandino, how'd you decide what to get?  Did you decide exactly what you wanted, and then went dealer-hunting, or did you hit a few dealers and then figure out what they had that you also liked and could do some research on?  Or do you stalk Consumer Reports first?

What I need in a car has pretty much been predetermined for me -- with an infant I need 4 doors and a spacious backseat, with the driving I'll be doing I need good gas mileage, we need lots of space for baby stuff/bikes/dog/snowboard/camping gear so a hatchback or wagon is necessary, and of course financial so I'm keeping it under $6k that I can pay cash up front. 

I've kept my eye on Autotrader and cars that meet that criteria within a 50 mile radius for a few months and nothing had really jumped out at me until this one.  If it doesn't work out, I have no doubt another one will come along sooner or later.  I don't have my heart set on any make or model, as long as it's in good shape, it's not some god-awful color, and the mileage and year is reasonable I'll consider it.

brandino29

• Bristles
Re: Used car -- up my offer or stick to my guns? (Updated dealer offer!)
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
Moments after I posted my last response, I got a text from the salesman.  It reads:

"As a show of good faith that we appreciate you and would like to earn your business, not saying he would do it, but would you pay $4,500?  If you will, he might take it. No guarantee."

I believe that is essentially a guarantee, because if I went down there offering $4,500 and they tried to renege on the deal I would 100% walk away without looking back.  On the one hand, I appreciate that they showed some unsolicited willingness to come down on price, on the other it's still more than 10% above my offer. 

As this car was a trade-in to the dealer from the original buyer (who also bought it there), I have a pretty strong feeling they paid $3,000 max for it.

I'm considering a counter offer of $4,500 out the door after sales tax, licensing and registration.  Am I being too soft there?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
Edmund's puts dealer retail for that car (in that shape, with that mileage) at $3,900; private party sale at $2,700. You'd be getting mildly cheated at $3,900 but it might make sense if you had to have a car in a hurry. $4,500 is crazy.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »
Edmund's puts dealer retail for that car (in that shape, with that mileage) at $3,900; private party sale at $2,700. You'd be getting mildly cheated at $3,900 but it might make sense if you had to have a car in a hurry. $4,500 is crazy.

+1

If you really want this car tell him you found a similar car (make one up, numbers and all) and say that you'd rather have his car but you would be crazy to pass up this other deal unless he came down to $(insert your desired purchase price here).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:07:03 PM by AlmostIndependent »

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:08 PM »

+1

If you really want this car tell him you found a similar car (make one up, numbers and all) and say that you'd rather have his car but you would be crazy to pass up this other deal unless her came down to $(insert your desired purchase price here).

Ditto.  That's overpaying, plain and simple!  I get it, they have to make a living, but there is no way I would overpay by that much.

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

Let me add this: by telling the salesperson you have other options but would rather go with his if he'd accept your offer, you're "putting the pen in his hand." (which is what he's been trying to do to you) Basically, it's the perfect offense strategy when dealing with a salesperson - make THEM sweat a bit.

After a couple of hours passed and I had more time to consider, I came to my senses and essentially came up with the same plan you all are suggesting.  $4,000 is more than a fair offer, I do like the car and think it's a good purchase that should last years so I'm willing to pay that much for it, I also don't need this car and I don't have to replace my truck for several more months so I've got time and literally thousands of options between now and then.  So my game plan is to remind him my offer was and continues to be $4,000 and to let me know when they'll accept it and I'll be there that day to buy it, until then I'll be keeping my eyes open for other cars.

Hell, ya'll have convinced me I should even lower my offer, I'll say $4,000 flat to drive it off the lot, including taxes, title and registration.  If I don't get it -- meh

fodder69

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »
Hmm, what are the taxes and tags going to run on the vehicle? I am kind of wondering why people feel the dealer should have to pay the taxes and tags and take it out of his price? If the taxes and tags are $600 then I personally think $4500 would be an "average/OK" deal. But I doubt they are that high. But I don't really think it's fair to stick the dealer with those, none of that is profit for the dealer it is money he is paying someone else. So if you are saying $4000 is your price with that included than you are saying $4000-T&T is what the price is really.

Just saying there is cheap and frugal, and in the end would you walk away from the time you have invested for a few hundred bucks? We are talking 10% of the price basically. I know my mental energy spent worrying about it isn't worth that if the car fits all the points you need.

I also not a fan of lying to get a better deal. Yes they are doing it, but personally I hold myself to a higher standard. You don't need to spin some bullshit about 'you have another car you are looking at, etc.' Just be honest and say you think it's too much, thank you, goodbye. Keep looking if you don't feel comfortable but no need to sink to their level.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »
If I don't get it -- meh

That right there is the key to getting a good deal on any purchase.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »
Hmm, what are the taxes and tags going to run on the vehicle? I am kind of wondering why people feel the dealer should have to pay the taxes and tags and take it out of his price? If the taxes and tags are $600 then I personally think $4500 would be an "average/OK" deal. But I doubt they are that high. But I don't really think it's fair to stick the dealer with those, none of that is profit for the dealer it is money he is paying someone else. So if you are saying $4000 is your price with that included than you are saying $4000-T&T is what the price is really.

You aren't "sticking the dealer" with anything.  If they won't make a profit on the car, then they will pass on your offer.  You're not obligated to increase their profit margins as high as they would like.

Just saying there is cheap and frugal, and in the end would you walk away from the time you have invested for a few hundred bucks? We are talking 10% of the price basically. I know my mental energy spent worrying about it isn't worth that if the car fits all the points you need.

So you would spend a few hundred dollars more than the car is worth?  Why?  Is there any other purchase where you'd decide that it's worth X, but you'd prefer to pay X+$300?

I also not a fan of lying to get a better deal. Yes they are doing it, but personally I hold myself to a higher standard. You don't need to spin some bullshit about 'you have another car you are looking at, etc.' Just be honest and say you think it's too much, thank you, goodbye. Keep looking if you don't feel comfortable but no need to sink to their level.

Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.

fodder69

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
So you would spend a few hundred dollars more than the car is worth?  Why?  Is there any other purchase where you'd decide that it's worth X, but you'd prefer to pay X+$300?

So you have the ability to tell EXACTLY what something is worth? That's pretty amazing since most of the time it's worth different things to different people at different times with different needs. I usually have to go with a range for a price but it'd be great if I could narrow it down exactly like you.

Ridiculous sarcasm aside, it's worth whatever you think it's worth. And yes I would pay X+300 considering X is an arbitrary number. If I have done the homework and figure this is exactly the item I want and that X+300 is within the range I have decided that it's worth.

And no, you don't have to guarantee the dealer a profit.

All that said, I really don't think a 10 year old Hyundai is worth $4500 bucks and frankly $3500 is about all I'd pay. So your $4000 out the door sounds more than reasonable. I am also curious what area of the country you live in that deals seem so few and far between. Even based on you criteria it seems like you could pretty easily find another car. Any time you involve a dealer there is going to be a premium. I'd definitely look for a private seller since you don't have to add their profit margin in.

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »
If I don't get it -- meh

That right there is the key to getting a good deal on any purchase.

After I responded to him again this evening by text with my offer, I felt really good to have stuck to my guns and not broken on the price I was willing to pay.  It actually reminded me a lot of MMM's "The Position of Power" post from a few weeks ago.  As soon as I clicked send on the text I realized just how much I don't need that particular car and I have plenty of time to figure out what I need and if they accept it great, and if not it doesn't really matter because I'm good, I have the position of power.  Thanks to all you all for helping with that.

I ended up lowering my offer, saying I realized after doing research online that my original offer was high so I would be willing to pay $4k out the door and to let me know whenever, today or next week.  He responded within a few minutes and said that the car was sold today.  Oddly, to a guy from Ohio (neighboring state) who paid $4,900 for it and is picking it up on Saturday. 

That whole response reeks of a shady sales tactic to me.  I can't imagine there's someone out there that would find a car online 60 miles or more away then call the dealer and offer to buy it at full asking price sight unseen.  Plus, he's not going to be by for 5 more days to pick it up?  Baloney.  I'd be willing to put money on it that Greg is going to call me on Thursday or Friday saying "Great news, the deal fell through, you have a second chance to get this car but you gotta act quick!"

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »
Well, if it is real, be glad you're smarter than the guy from Ohio and didn't overpay.  I'm sure you'll find the right car at the right price soon enough.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
...... I'd be willing to put money on it that Greg is going to call me on Thursday or Friday saying "Great news, the deal fell through, you have a second chance to get this car but you gotta act quick!"

It's going to feel great to laugh at the dealer when that text comes through :)

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
Can I just say that a car dealer texting me is like my worst nightmare? Eww. Phone calls are annoying enough. Texts are just much more personal to me, as dumb as that sounds.

Anyway, good job sticking to your guns. You'll find the right car soon!

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 07:25:13 AM »
What Olivia and Tariskat said, either someone with more money than sense made the dealer's day or it's a trick to try and get the urgency factor back on you.

Be interesting to see which way it goes.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 08:50:28 AM »
What Olivia and Tariskat said, either someone with more money than sense made the dealer's day or it's a trick to try and get the urgency factor back on you.

Be interesting to see which way it goes.

I imagine it was a trick. I doubt someone called and offered a shitload of cash and then said I'll pick it up later. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
Can I just say that a car dealer texting me is like my worst nightmare? Eww. Phone calls are annoying enough. Texts are just much more personal to me, as dumb as that sounds.

Haha.  I actually prefer it this way myself so I can choose to respond whenever I want (or not at all) rather than get stuck with him yapping my ear off about how excellent the car is and I better lock it down before someone else gets it.  But there is something mildly unsettling about the idea of him having my cell phone number saved in his phone. 

My plan during the test drive was to pass by my house to show my wife the car.  When I discovered he was going to be riding with me I quickly dropped that plan, the idea of driving a used car salesman to my house was more than I could handle. 

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »
This whole deal reminds me of bidding on eBay for things.  eBay has a proxy bidding system where you enter a max bid and let the program run.  I know a lot of people who will go back and up their bid if they get outbid.  And then I wonder why they didn't just increase their initial max bid.  I like to decide what I think I'd pay for an item, usually less than what I'd want to sell it for if it was mine to sell, enter that price and walk away.  If I really want/need something, I set my bid accordingly.  Usually doesn't work, but when it does it's great. 

When it doesn't, just like in this car deal thread, I have already decided that I don't care.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!