Author Topic: Used box spring/mattresses?  (Read 23219 times)

Praxis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Used box spring/mattresses?
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
So, I had to evict a tenant who stopped paying rent.  The tenant left fairly easily without needing to get a court order.  They left a very large volume of junk behind (apparently, they had stuffed three families in to the house, and then they all got in fights and left except the original leaseholder who could no longer pay the rent). 

Among the items left behind are a box spring and several mattresses that are in good condition.  I was actually already in the market for a box spring, as I lost mine in my last move (long story).

However, I am scared of bed bugs and the like.

What is the Mustachian view of used box springs?  Any way to make sure the bed bugs are dead as doornails?  Or do I need to pay to dump this box spring? Or should I sell them on craigslist?

I've been meaning to set up a guest room too, so the other mattress might come to use as well, but same question there.

Thanks much for your answers!

ReverendRN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Used box spring/mattresses?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
As a poorer Mustachian who has not yet had enough money in life to acquire a mattress first hand, I recommend box spring and mattress covers that trap any theoretical bugs inside the mattress, so they can't feed and reproduce. I can't prove they work, but I've had two second-hand mattress sets and nary a bite!

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »
bed bugs are out there - promise

used mattresses are one of the best ways to get them

Personally I wouldn't risk it

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:43 PM »
Or do I need to pay to dump this box spring? Or should I sell them on craigslist?

Whether to dump or sell on Craigslist depends on your "make a buck"/"save idiots from themselves" priority ratio. There are people on Craigslist stupid enough to buy them...

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
If you are set on these used items, vacuum seal that shit in a bed bug-proof cover. If there are any bugs, they take the deep sleep. If it were me, I'd say to hell with those things. Mattresses/box springs are definitely items I would never buy/take used.

dobatseatcats

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »
I would not risk this. I live in a very bedbug-infested city and while I've never had them, knock wood, I have friends who have. It was a nightmare for them . I would much rather pay the price of a new mattress than take a used mattress and then have to pay to have bedbugs exterminated.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
I've done used mattresses. Did I get bed bugs? No. Knowing what I know now, would I ever do them again, barring extreme financial need?

No.

TropicNebraska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »
Ugh, your story is the reason why I'm not very excited about getting into the landlord business for passive income. The only kind of real estate I would rent out would be a soviet-style concrete barrack that I can spray down with a pressure washer when tenants move out. That bed is a biohazard with bed bugs or whatever you can pick up on a black light; dump it on the first sucker who gives you a bid on craigslist.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
I would not use a used mattress from someone I didn't know. If a friend or relative was giving away a guest room bed or something, then maybe.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:04 PM »
I would run far, far away. 

Or you could price the cost of a visit from a bed bug sniffing dog.  That is the only way I would use them, but even then I would be squicked out and buy the mother of all covers for it.  By the time you pay for the puppy and the cover, might as well just buy a new box spring.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »
Hell NO

ReverendRN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »
I would not use a used mattress from someone I didn't know. If a friend or relative was giving away a guest room bed or something, then maybe.

That's a good point. Both of my mattresses have come from someone I knew, who was able to afford an upgrade for themselves.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »
Well, winter is over, but depending on how cold it gets where you are, you could put them in an unheated area to freeze the suckers.

http://www.bedbugs.umn.edu/bed-bug-control-in-residences/using-freezing-temperatures-for-bedbug-control/

Last winter I purchased an antique sofa and armchair and wrapped them in plastic and left them in my horse trailer during a particularly harsh January, before bringing them in the house.  Figured that would kill anything that prefers balmy room temp conditions.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 12:26:51 AM »
Used mattresses?

I think not.  That's in about the same category as buying used underwear from the thrift shop.  No thanks.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 05:56:45 AM »
Even if you are going to throw them out, you should probably do a thorough visual inspection to see if you can see any signs of bedbugs to see if you need to call an exterminator before new tenants move in.  Bed bugs can hide themselves behind baseboards, in cracks in the walls, etc.  If it were me, I would slit the cover on the box springs to have a look inside as well. 

My boyfriend spent one miserable month in an apartment with bedbugs.  Fortunately he found out while most of his stuff was still in storage and never moved it in.  Also fortunately, the landlord refunded him the rent as well as his deposit.  If you end up getting bedbugs the cost of getting rid of them will be much more than you would save on mattress frugality.

Heat treatment is probably the best way to insure that bed bugs are dead. For smaller items, that's as easy as a trip through a hot laundry cycle and a dryer set on hot.  For a mattress, you'd probably have to find an exterminator with a big tent or truck or something that they can heat to the required temperature. My guess is that's probably not worth it.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 06:44:09 AM »
I once bought a used mattress /box spring set from a friend whose roommate had moved out and abandoned it.  At that point, I never even thought about bed bugs, and I had no problems -- but it could happen, and IF you get them, they're a major problem. 

I like the suggestion others have made about disinfecting the box springs, sealing it in a plastic case . . . and using it.  Definitely slit it open and have a look inside -- look up pictures on the internet first so you'll know what you're looking for.  Bedbugs aren't microscopic or anything.  Do you have a place you could leave it outside for a week or so before bringing it in?  Bugs won't stay where they have no food. 

Finally, it is illegal to sell a used mattress here.  Goodwill won't accept used mattresses either.  However, there's a catch:  It's perfectly legal to sell, say, a pillowcase . . . and let the person take the mattress away for free with that purchase. 

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 06:50:12 AM »
It's a judgment call. Personally, I'll only do a mattress and box spring used if I know it's "history," i.e. if it comes from someone I know and trust. Even that's not a guarantee. If it was some random tenant, I'd be wary.

But it depends on a lot of factors: could you afford to treat the bedbugs if you got them? Are bedbugs a serious issue in your area? (they are in mine)

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 06:55:05 AM »
your call but i've never used a new mattress and i must have slept on at least 7 beds with old mattresses over the last 6 years. that's just my own beds, not staying with friends living in rentals with old mattresses or potentially dubious hostels.

that said, i am looking forward to getting my own bed and mattress this summer.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »
Coming from a public health background, I would say absolutely not. Bedbugs are common, and really hard to get rid of. I would use a used mattress if I knew the background--like from my mother's house where the mattress had been in the spare room for several years with no problems.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 07:21:54 AM »
Cover the matress/boxspring in black plastic and leave it in the hot sun with a thermometer attached.  If you can get their temperature up to 45 degrees C (113 F) bedbugs will die after about an hour.  On a really warm summer day this should be no problem.  Flip the mattress a couple times (and maybe do it a few days before using the mattress) but that should take care of any critters that might be living in it.  It would be a shame to toss a perfectly good mattress.

I did work as an exterminator for a while, so I'm not completely talking out of my ass on this.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 07:30:35 AM »
Cover the matress/boxspring in black plastic and leave it in the hot sun with a thermometer attached.  If you can get their temperature up to 45 degrees C (113 F) bedbugs will die after about an hour.  On a really warm summer day this should be no problem.  Flip the mattress a couple times (and maybe do it a few days before using the mattress) but that should take care of any critters that might be living in it.  It would be a shame to toss a perfectly good mattress.

I did work as an exterminator for a while, so I'm not completely talking out of my ass on this.

+1

If the mattress doesn't look visibly abused or stained, don't toss it and create unnecessary garbage. Especially since it will cost $50 just to toss it (in my city at least).

I always put a cover on mattresses anyways (allergies). If you're worried about issues other than bedbugs, there are anti microbial covers, usually either Microban or silver-thread.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 07:45:56 AM »
Check your state laws first.  In my state (MA) it's illegal to sell a used mattress.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
If the mattress doesn't look visibly abused or stained, don't toss it and create unnecessary garbage. Especially since it will cost $50 just to toss it (in my city at least).
It doesn't cost me to dump things, but anytime I have something "of possible value" I always put it out on the curb a day or two ahead of trash day . . . the item usually disappears the first night it's out on the curb.  For example, some time back I put out an old file cabinet I didn't want -- gone.  Recently my vacuum quit working /couldn't be fixed -- gone.  Perhaps someone else is better at fixing things than I am; I hope so anyway.

jbow808

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. ~ Yoda
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »
3 things I'd  never buy used - Underwear, this includes socks, swimsuits, and a mattress. Yuck!

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »
I tried to sell a box spring in amazing condition on craigslist for weeks. Started out asking $100, reduced it $25/week.  Ended up giving it away for free.  This was during peak moving season so it wasn't like there weren't a lot of bed buyers out there.

People are just super squeamish about bedding.  I'd put it in the free section and not spend time trying to get money for it.