Author Topic: Used Bikes on Craigslist  (Read 2780 times)

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
Used Bikes on Craigslist
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:19:26 PM »
I want to buy a used bike to try to see if I can start commuting to work or running errands.  One that is being sold at 50% off retail has my eye, but is that still too high for a used bike?  What's a good percentage off retail price and depreciation to try to negotiate for, while being fair and avoiding a bike thief looking for a quick sale?

Panchos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Used Bikes on Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »
Check out that model with others to see what they're going for and don't forget to offer lower than what they're asking. The worst they can do is say no.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:00:11 PM »
50% off retail is better than I would expect if it is less than five years old or so, but not so good that I would immediately assume it was stolen.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »
Make sure you know what frame size you need before you start shopping.  One challenge you will have on Craigslist is to get the seller to either know the frame size and tell you or to get them to measure it before you waste your time checking it out.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:14:15 AM by frugaliknowit »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:11 AM »
Make sure you know what frame size you need before you start shopping.  One challenge you will have on Craigslist is to get the seller to either know the frame size and tell you or to get them to measure it before you waste your time checking it out.

+1

Sifting through the ads to find bikes in the correct size is sometimes the most annoying part. I received a response back from less than 1/4 of listings missing the size info when asking to measure but nothing is worse than wasting both seller and your time for a bike that won't fit.

Edit: to your actual question, depends on the market but "50% off" is about right if the bike is newer than 4-5 years old. Bikes tend to drop 50% day one! then stay there for quite a while, then slowly drift into sub-$300 prices which vary more by bike type than age.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:37:00 AM by Thegoblinchief »