Author Topic: used bike source in Baltimore MD  (Read 2773 times)

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
used bike source in Baltimore MD
« on: April 26, 2014, 05:27:15 AM »
We are trying to be frugal and get in shape at the same time!  A bike for my wife at Nashbar runs new about $350 (hybrid).  I KNOW that a lot of people buy bikes and then don't use them.  Were would you suggest we find a gently used hybrid bike in the Baltimore area?

Play It Again Sports?  A favorite bike shop you have?  Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Beckyemerson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: used bike source in Baltimore MD
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:07:58 AM »
Craigslist has lots of good women's bikes in the baltimore area.

KittyFooFoo

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 04:26:55 PM »
There are bike resources ALL OVER Baltimore. 

If memory serves: There is a city-funded bike shop on Charles & Lanvale called Velocipede, where they will help you build your own bike for a nominal fee, like $35.

Also look into Baltimore Bicycle Works.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »
My knowledge of Baltimore sadly predates my biking days. Craigslist with price filters can be quite useful. I look above a certain price to filter out the complete crap and below a certain price to avoid the super bikes being offloaded by racerbros with too much $

A community bike shop like the ones mentioned up thread are great resources, because they also teach you how to maintain the bike.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »
Sadly, I don't know enough about how to tell a good bike from a crappy one, so Craigslist may not be the answer for us.  Velocipede looks very interesting, I need to learn much more about them and how the progam works.